Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

I understand a brochure update will be published on 1st Feb introducing the long anticipated 1.2 e-VTi engine coupled to EGC. Probably too early to see any third party reviews but would be interested if anyone has come across one or has comments?

·
Registered
540 Posts
They aren't available for driving yet, but there is a small section in the pretty pictures brochure (rather than technical one) that describes the 1.2e-VTi with a '5 speed piloted manual'; no performance or economy stats yet but it does state 99g/km of CO2 (which means they should know the economy...)

I'm hoping this updated brochure has news of the 1.2e-THP models too - I tried speaking to Peugeot UK who were fairly useless!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the 'brochure' now, its the technical one and shows the 1.2 e-VTi egc but no manual. No mention of THP models either. As a none technical bloke I did find the array of engine choices (along with forthcoming one's) a bit daunting as far as making a decision goes. And as an example I have no idea what a 'piloted manual' is. I've ordered a 2008 with the e-VTi and just hoping it lives up to the speculation....

·
Registered
540 Posts
'Piloted manual' is just marketing speak for the EGC gearbox, the clutchless manual that's already been seen in the 1.6e-HDI; I think, deciphering Peugeot jargon, that 'e' in the engine title means stop-start technology and as yet the 1.2VTi manual doesn't have stop start. If you've ordered a 1.2e-VTi I'm gambling it's a clutchless manual (I.e. There are only two pedals) - I hope that's what you are expecting!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Frank. Now I'm really confused! The clutchless manual is what I'm expecting but I thought it was also the 'heralded' turbo engine set to replace the 1.6. Having read your comments again it looks like I've got my wires crossed and this will be referred to as THP? I live in the Channel Islands so driving is constantly 'town' like and short journeys. My research lead me to believe diesel wouldn't be a good idea and the 1.6 petrol has had poor press with pundits saying to wait for the new turbo 1.2. The power is not so important at home (with a 35mph speed limit....) but I'd like to have a bit more for the 3/4 mainland trips I make a year. I'll need to speak to the dealer again and am most grateful for your input which has highlighted a likely gaffe on my part.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi, yes, the 1.2e-VTi is the same engine as the 82bhp naturally aspirated that's been available since launch with a 5 speed manual gearbox;1.2e-THP is the parlance for the turbo models, download the 308 technical brochure as this shows the e-THP engine details.

I've been keen to get details on the e-THP but Peugeot don't seem to be willing to tell me! You're right to avoid diesel on the Channel Islands, you'll get serious issues with a DPF,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again. Well at least I got something right in concluding the diesel would be a bad choice. I'll see what the dealer has to say now I am enlightened about 'THP' and will post anything of interest. If its nowhere in sight I may have to opt for one of the existing auto (makes CI motoring bearable) options. I would call myself a conservative driver but my fear with the 1.2 would be trying pass a string of lorries in the UK or France and find it labours. The 1.6 auto doesn't have many admirers and the fuel consumption is grim - hence the 'forthcoming' THP. Others on this forum seem quite happy with their 1.2 manual; trouble is I can't try it myself at speed here so can only follow the findings of others, one of the hazards for rock dwellers! Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Haligary!

I am new to the forum though have been following threads since I ordered my 1.2 Vti 82bhp Allure 2008 at the beginning of October. We picked our car up on 30 December so have been driving it for 4 weeks now. I saw your thread about your concerns regarding the 1.2 engine and thought you might appreciate my thoughts.

My previous car was a Mazda RX-8 which was a sporty car and really good on acceleration so I was also a bit concerned about moving down to a 1.2 engine on the 2008. I had also read not so good reviews on the 1.6so had decided against it. I did get the opportunity to test drive the 1.2 before making my purchase decision and have to admit, whilst not expecting very much after my RX-8,I was pleasantly surprised at how well it responded, so much so that I had to ask the salesman that I was definitely driving a 1.2! I had the same concerns as you regarding being able to getpast lorriesand/ornot being able to accelerate whilst on an uphill incline. I can tell you this really is not the case and have already been in that situation over the last couple of weeks. On an uphill incline trying to overtake a wagon I had expected the car to labour but it never happened - my speed kept increasing and I was able to smoothly pass the slower vehicle.

I'm really pleased with my choice and, whilst the 1.2 was obviously never going to have the same performance level as my RX-8, I am still happy with how it drives and really do think it would be up to scratch for you on both the CI and mainland UK.Hope this helps!? Good luck in making your decision and happy driving!

Jack'sMam xx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jack'sMam (we like our quirky names eh?!) Yes thanks a lot for taking the time to share your views on the 1.2. The auto route overtaking nightmare is my main concern and its pleasing to hear your confidence in the 1.2 2008 in this respect. Local driving here is very stop/start and you are breaking the law at 40mph so I think it will cope! Having done the rounds of the reviews you will have seen the many references to the 'forthcoming' turbo engine but I can't get a lot of sense out of Peugeot in this respect. This morning I was told by one Peugeot rep it comes out in Feb and can be ordered now only to learn via another source this afternoon (higher up the pecking order I'm told....) it will be sometime in 2015. I can't wait that long so will be joining you soon! Thanks again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Frank. did you see my reply to Jack'sMam? Strikes me the marketing arm of Peugeot could with a tweak, I think I read something you posted about information being hard to come by - can it really be that difficult?! Anyway I'm sticking with my 1.2 e-VTi egc order and have been given a build date of 14th Feb - how sweet is that....?!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi everybody,

Now done 1500 miles with the 1.2 vti and getting to know it a little better, I keep looking for the turbo as it drives like one with a definite power surge at 3000 rpm which corresponds to 60 mph in top. In Exeter anyone buying a car takes it to Telegraph Hill on the A38 to see if it can cut the mustard, it is a ***** and a lot of small engine cars do struggle so kept the speed down to 60 on the approach to make it work for its dinner and was absolutely amazed, went all the way up in top without flooring the gas and could gain speed.

On the motorway and A roads no feeling of thrashing a small engine car and the engine is really quiet. Below 2000 rpm power drops off but around town OK down to 1500 rpm. At 3500 rpm (70 mph) there is bags of power and as I said drives like a Turbo, most likely the variable valve timing doing that.

They are putting this 82 hp engine in the new 308 and I have no doubts it will pull that one OK for most peoples uses and of course not having a turbo is one thing less to go wrong and the insurance will be less also.

In short I am very happy only wish I was able to drive a demonstrator 1.2 to save all the stress of ordering a car without a test drive, they would sell a lot more if they had a 1.2 demonstrator available but they all have 1.6's guess there is more profit in it for them.

I agree with everthing said by 'Jack'sMam'

Richard

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The demonstrator that I tried was a 1.2, so they do exist.I had to have a diesel though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
haligary said:
Hi Frank. did you see my reply to Jack'sMam? Strikes me the marketing arm of Peugeot could with a tweak, I think I read something you posted about information being hard to come by - can it really be that difficult?! Anyway I'm sticking with my 1.2 e-VTi egc order and have been given a build date of 14th Feb - how sweet is that....?!
I missed this thread being updated!

It does seem that somebody at Peugeot needs to have a plan and develop their communication based on this - sounds like the 1.2VTi pulls 20mph/1000rpm in top which sounds a bit high for Autoroute work for me sadly, but in truth I need to drive one really especially if I'm having to wait until 2015 for the 1.2e-HTP then it's the 1.2VTi or 1.6VTi

Good for you sticking with the 1.2e-VTi; I think it'll work superbly on the Channel Islands.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Jack'sMam

Just seen an RX-8, had no idea what it was before. Whilst the 2008 is clearly not in the same league performance wise your favourable impressions of the 1.2 are even more reassuring to me now.

Left any lorries in your wake lately?!

·
Registered
540 Posts
For those who are looking at the 1.2e-VTi the on-line brochure download (the technical one) has been updated to include this model - £700 increase over the manual model, 99g/km of CO2, 1mph increase in top speed and much, much slower 'full bore' acceleration.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmmm, glad i got the one i did. thanks Frank

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've just been reading through the specs on the 1.2 e-VTI and I noticed that the gearbox is a 5 speed EGC as opposed to a 6 speed EGC on the 1.6 eHDI.Has anyone got any thoughts as to the difference that this will make.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Between the HDi and e-VTi? They'll be difficult to compare to be honest. One is a high torque 4-pot boat-fueller the other a relatively torque less three-pot petrol, the 1.2e-VTi won't take 6 gears unless they are stacked painfully close to each other as top is probably good for 22mph/1000rpm; I suspect 6th in the HDi is probably closer to 30mph/1000rpm, the petrol simply wouldn't take that sort of gearing but then it will work best in the mid range rather than lower engine speeds; people get transfixed with lower engine speeds being 'better' but comparing the two is like comparing apples and shoe laces...

For a while we owned a brace of A2's, my 1.4TDI 75 (remapped to 97bhp and 203lb/ft) and a 1.6FSI with 110bhp and 110lb/ft, despite both being A2's with much similarity they were complete chalk and cheese to drive and own.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
540 Posts
You'd need to drive the back to back - diesels 'rev' lower at a given road speed, so for example a typical petrol car might be doing 3000rpm at 70mph where as a diesel will be doing 2500rpm; the e-VTi will be a sweeter sounding engine but lack 'torque' compared to the diesel so is slower to increase road speed in-gear unless you rev the engine.

I think you need to try them both to be honest, but yes, I think even though it is revving higher the petrol should be smoother even if it is ultimately slower.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts