Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my car a few months and have posted a few comments on other threads. I like the 2008 a lot (the car itself) and got used to the 'quirky' egc gear change in full auto. The key seems to be coming off the gas a little as a change is about to take place - you get to recognise when this is going to happen and it becomes second nature.

I took the car to France and it performed well on autoroutes with enough power to keep up to the speed limits with some to spare for overtaking.

But I couldn't get to grips with the strange noises my car made particularly when coming to a halt, very disturbing. I was told it was fine and normal so maybe its just me or perhaps the car I had was not a good example - other egc drivers (I suspect all diesel versions - perhaps they are a better match for egc?) say their cars are smooth and make no discernible noises. Either way I was fortunate that my dealer was accomodating and offered me a decent deal to change. There was a cost of course but it was reasonable. So after driving autos for the best part of 20 years I'm back to manual and have a new Feline. Its fine, I have the car I already like a lot and have got used to, and although I would prefer auto the manual gearbox is very slick. I also get grip contol of course so thats a bonus.

A pointless post in a way other than I would recommend to anyone considering this particular model to pay close attention and listen out for odd noises on test drives etc. It might just save someone going through the same process I have.

Edited by: haligary

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi I got a Diesel 2008, I bought my dauaghter the smaller 208.It's got a 1.2 engine which I assume is the same as the 2008, do 1.2 drivers find the engine noisy and the occasional popping sound out of the exhaust. The dealer told me it is normal for a 3 cylinder

·
Registered
12 Posts
There seems to be a lot of bad comments on the 1.2 e-vti egc on this forum but not much praise for it. Has anyone got one and thinks its the bees knees. I would value any positive comments on this particular gearbox as the negative comments are putting me off a car which I really like.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd wait for the 1.2e-THP 6 speed auto assuming the price is right!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Frank, do you think the box will be full auto on the 1.2 thp ? Even its 5 speed auto that would be great.

thats assuming if it ever comes out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
haligary said:
A pointless post in a way other than I would recommend to anyone considering this particular model to pay close attention and listen out for odd noises on test drives etc. It might just save someone going through the same process I have.

Found your post, thanks for the update :) In general the 2008s are fantastic it seems its only the EGC pairing that cause the issues. It concerns me that if I go for a 1.2 egc I am basically gambling ? Love to get the manual but egc/auto is a must.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean, I've got used to manual again but would prefer auto and will revert next time around. I take it diesel is not an option for you? The 1.2 had good fuel consumption but lags the diesel by some distance - I'm getting 47 mpg with mostly town driving which I think is excellent - the 1.2 was returning me around 36mpg in comparison. I believe the diesel egc matches the manual on this front which is impressive. Again I was a bit reluctant to opt for diesel but have had assurances that a good run out once a month will avert the filter problems everyone talks about. I also take the car for an 'outing' in France 3/4 times a year so should be ok.

Another minor point, the eco stop and start on the auto can be a bit frustrating around town, you have no control other than to isolate it so when its on the car is forever cutting out. With the manual you can decide when to utilise the eco as it requires you to be in neutral with the clutch released. I've noticed my new car is practically silent when it restarts, with the 1.2 you could hear the 'ignition' clearly. I don't know what it would be like with a diesel egc.

So good luck and I hope to see positive posts when you finally take the plunge!

·
Registered
540 Posts
The auto will be a 6 speeder but I don't know if it's a traditional torque converter job or a modern dual clutch affair, I think it's the former as the economy drops off a bit on the 308 1.2e -THP 130 from the manual (dual clutch gearboxes generally match or exceed the manual on the normal cycle). Be aware though the pricing structure of the auto 1.2e-THP 130 in the 308 indicates it will be about £2250 more than the 1.2e-VTi EGC.

The noise of the EGC gearbox is normal - the unit is actually sourced from Fiat and is the same basic unit as the Dualogic in the Panda/ 500 and it makes this noise. You can't hear it on the HDi due to the additional soundproofing and background general hum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello Frank, great answers. I am relived that EGC is basically a Fiat dualogic, I test drove a dualogic mated to a 0.9 ltr twin air, it performed well. We should have specified the dualogic when we bought our 500 but are looking to change to that now.

Good point about the HDi soundproofing.

Kind of related as you bought Fiat up - Fiat are launching Abarth 500 with a full auto box in USA, interesting for us 500 users as the box may come to UK in the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts