Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just checked th oil the weekend and noticed its just below mid level.
Any idea what oil I should get for the allure 1.6 stop start diesel?

Does it need to be the ACEA C3 low ash type as well so as not to damge the DPF?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The oil you have is the best. If you mix with other oil, will change the chemical compound, and you can flush it in toilet if is inadequate.
If you need to change it, my advice is to keep Castrol Total 5W30. Is the oil used by producer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
In fact either of the two Total Oils 0W-30 or 5W-30 will do. In our climate I would probably stick with the 5W-30.

If you look at the spec sheet and look at what the Peugeot/Citroen group recommend, it must be to B71 2290 specification. and be ACEA A2 or C2 as it is today.

You could also use

Fuchs Titan GT1 C-2 which is approved by both Peugeot/Citroen & Renault (PSA B 71 2290 &
RENAULT RN0700)

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Fully Synthetic which has the Peugeot Citroen approval (
Peugeot/Citroën Automobiles B71 2290 & B71 2297)

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C2 looks to be approved by Peugeot / Citroen also but isn't very clear, but I would think it would be OK if you couldn't get any of the others.It also tends to be a little cheaper.

At the end of the day you can use what you want but it would be wise and beneficial to stick with an oil that is "approved" not "recommended or meets" the Peugeot / Citroen specification ACEA 2 and B71 2290.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I have wanted to add oil to a car I have not serviced myself I normally ask the dealership to confirm what oil they used and use the same stuff.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Burty,

You just need to be mindful they don't always use what we would call "manufacturers fill".

Yes you can use the Total Oil from parts as a top up, but most, not all dealers, buy in bulk and will use a generic A2/C2 oil from a major supplier. It could be Castrol, Total or even Morris Oils, Millers for instance.And not all these oils are approved, they may meet the requirements, but not approved there is a difference.

They have a lot of vehicles to service all requiring different oils they would need a warehouse the size of a tennis court just to store their oils.

I'm not saying its wrong, but it won't be the first time a dealer has serviced a car and not used the recommended oil.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's always wor confirming the dealer does indeed use Total, mine does as they are a small family franchise - I've no doubt some of the larger chains don't but the 1.6HDi has a technical bulletin that is specific about materials and processes used, to the extent that non OEM filters shouldn't be used as these are known to block.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
uncletone said:
Hi Burty,

You just need to be mindful they don't always use what we would call "manufacturers fill".

Yes you can use the Total Oil from parts as a top up, but most, not all dealers, buy in bulk and will use a generic A2/C2 oil from a major supplier. It could be Castrol, Total or even Morris Oils, Millers for instance.And not all these oils are approved, they may meet the requirements, but not approved there is a difference.

They have a lot of vehicles to service all requiring different oils they would need a warehouse the size of a tennis court just to store their oils.

I'm not saying its wrong, but it won't be the first time a dealer has serviced a car and not used the recommended oil.

I appreciate that, but at least if you ask them you stand a chance of buying the nearest oil that is available retail.

Otherwise just don't bother asking anyone, just put anything you like in that meets the manufacturers spec.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd go with 5w-30 Ineo ECS, especially if you don't use start/stop system too much ( i always have it disabled). That's what i'm going to request for my 1.6 BlueHdi 120, at the first service. From what i know, these come with 0w-30 from factory and i feel the engine a bit rougher and nosier compared to my old 1.6 HDI 110, which used 5w-40 or thick 5w-30 oil.
Edited by: alex2jz

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just reading Burty's and Alex's posts, they have a point about getting the oil from the dealer for topping up.

Looking at the Peugeot Warranty Maintenance Book it says

Servicing the HDi particlefilter system

<i style="line-height: 1.4;">To ensure optimum operation of the particle filter, PEUGEOT recommends the use of TOTAL QUARTZ INEO[/i]
FIRST 0W30 or TOTAL ACTIVA / QUARTZ INEO ECS 5W30, or any other oil meeting the PSA PEUGEOT
CITROËN B71 2312 or B71 2290.standard.
The use of additives such as cleaners or metalisers is prohibited.

It would appear that the 0W-30 stuff may well have been intended for the stop start motors to help them cut down on emissions. Don't forget these are Euro 5 Engines, and Peugeot needed them to be clean. But they also recommend using the 5W-30 stuff as well.
So it's pay your monies and take your choice. If I was a betting man, 0W-30 for stop start, but if you switch it off and do a bit of motorway driving then 5W-30 for me.

The 0W will be inherently thinner at colder temps and it will no doubt aid the stop starting of the engine and it will circulate a bit quicker.

Oh I don't know..."eeny meeny minny mo" as long as its A2 /C2 not A3 /C3

Edited by: uncletone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts