Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1.6 diesel active ECG.

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  george2104 
#1 ·
I have one of the above with 7000miles on the clock. I get a nasty clonk ( sometimes ) on the3/4 upchange. Anybody experience this ? Whats normal?

Also can anybody advise me how to turn off the touch screen without going into Settings on every occasion ?

Thanks Ronw

#2 ·
Mine is silky smooth through all the gears.

They say you do have to ease off the revs a little as it changes up just to help it select the next gear.

Mine is smooth though without any easing off.

Do you still get the 'clonk' when using the paddles in both auto or manual?

I often use the paddles when in auto mode if I need to drop a gear. It shifts back to the appropriate gear automatically if there is no further input with the paddles. Quite brilliant.

#3 ·
I am about to place an order for 1.2 vti egc, but I get more confused by the day with the characteristics of EGC, some are complaining about the whining noises and clunks and issues being resolved only after a new gearbox is fitted, some others are saying they have had no issues at all with EGC like allan40alt.

If a gearbox has been changed than its not a user issues but a defect, are we saying the gearboxes are dodgy and its a luck of the draw what the EGC in your car will be like ?

#4 ·
Hi aro-rat

I have posted a few comments previously regarding the 1.2 egc which I imagine you have seen. Its my guess that most if not all comments on this forum relating to egc come from owners of the diesel version. I think it was Frank who pointed out that the diesel cars have more insulation to reduce the impact of the noisier engine in the cabin. It follows this would also have the effect of masking the 'characteristic' gear change noises that drove me potty in my 1.2 egc. Despite being told the noises were normal on several occasions I could not convince myself of this and as you have probably seen I eventually swapped the car. I doubt whether the insulation has now been 'upgraded' on the 1.2 egc so I guess its back to deciding if you can live with the noises? I wonder if its feasible to have the car fitted with the same insulation as the diesel models - I have no idea what this would involve and suspect not but it might be worth asking? I can't comment on the whining as mine didn't do this during the few months I had it.

Another thing I've noticed was missing from the 1.2 egc is hill start assist which I think I am right in saying features on the 1.6 egc? I have this on my exchange (manual) 2008 and have to say I find it very useful although it took some time to build up trust!

Not sure if I'm helping or hindering but hope you find the comments useful.

#5 ·
How did you perform a hill start with an ecg box without the assist? The only way I can guarantee not to roll back is to put my foot firmly on the foot brake, fully release the handbrake and perform a hill assist start. Because the clutch bites when it feels like it there was no way I could do this smoothly in the normal way.

#8 ·
Still experimenting with the gearchange. early days yet but it seems that i don't get the clonk when driving in manual made. still puzzled that i can't switch off the screen without going into settings and the it doesn't save the setting after switching off. thanks for all the interest .

ronw

#9 ·
The EGC is a manual gear with automations....so does make a very little noise on shifting,. as the clutch up or down is actioned....this noise is not high, sometimes you don't hear it.You can also control the gear change by not forcing the acceleration (if the rpm is above 1800rpm, at the moment you stop accelerating, the gear shift up +1 instantly).
The whine noise is something uncommon, as I have talked with many 2008 owners from here, and it seems that in Romania this noise was not reported. Probablyone assembly line from PGT have a problem...

#11 ·
I never hear it in mine but my dealer did say it could be a "characteristic of the 1.2" when I explained the symptoms to him.

I also played him a recording of the noise. He and I found it very annoying after just listening for a few minutes so I can understand haligary changing his car so early.

In complete contrast my 1.6 is perfect.

#12 ·
Hi
I am awaiting delivery of new 2008 expected within next two weeks, but on this subject I have had a Citroen C4 EGC for the past three years and done 75,000 miles, occasionally the memory built within the accelerator become lazy and as a result the gear change could become lumpy, but in general has not been an issue.

I also ask at each service that they run the software upgrade for the EGC.... this really does make it smooth

#13 ·
ronw said:
thanks for your comments George 214. Do you have any info on the touch screen operation ?

Ron w
The screen can be switched off using new software, but dealers does not upgrade here for free...they say this is not a problem...
I also have trouble with the screen to turn it off (must navigate a lot in Menus to switch it off), but will not pay for this "upgrade"...
Also if you upgrade, the radio will not come ON at car start...this is a problem for me also, becauseI like this and don't want to manually start the radio every time...
So...waiting for a new software version...

#14 ·
The 'radio off' is not what it seems.

I'm pretty certain it comes on but is muted.

This, I believe, is the same as pressing the mute button anyway. Once pressed the radio stays muted.

The reason I say this is because when I initially start my car the radio tuned station info comes up on the screen. If the radio was 'off' then no info should be shown.

PS: However; since having the update I have been able to fully enter post codes and that works extremely well. I've tested it three times and each time it has taken me right to the door with uncanny accuracy.

Edited by: allan40alt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.