Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I purchased a new 2008 Crossover in November 2014, it is the 1600 Diesel Automatic. On a recent trip to to Midlands when trying to join the M18 the car lost total drive. At the time it had approximately 2,600 miles on clock. Had it been a manual I would have said the clutch had gone as the engine was revving with car slowing down??. Having stood for a while I re-started drove along hard shoulder no problems and carried on with journey. I have had the car back to the Dealer who checked it over but unable to trace any fault??. Has or does any one know of this happening to them??. Would be very interested to know as I feel uneasy that it could happen again. Touch wood it has been fine over the last 300 miles.

Many Thanks
Keith.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi Keith. By automatic I presume you mean ECG , Many of us have problems with this box as do others with Citroen or otherPSA vehicles.. There are many threads on this site complaining about the problems (search ecg or egc) we have had and the dealers response to the complaints. My advice to anyone contemplating buying one of these vehicles is to research it thoroughly and think very carefully before buying en ECG vehicle. The problems are almost certainly with the software that controls the gearchange but most dealers and Peugeot seem to be in denial over the problems. Please let us know what response you get from your dealer and whether any remedy is applied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May thanks for reply,

My dealer told me they knew nothing about this problem, said they had done some re-calibration?? if it happens again let them know. Does not instil confidence!!!!. I contacted another dealer and asked if they knew of this problem, only to be informed never heard of it??. Think I will change car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,Having had a reply from Pilot (Alan) which I found very interesting, as requested, I took car to dealer who informed me they had not heard of this problem?? had car 2 &1/2 hr, said done some re-calibration?? and no fault found??. Told to inform them if it happens again!!!!!. Rang another dealer, he also said they knew nothing of this problem?? (think they have closed ranks) but if I wanted to bring car in and leave with them (all day) they would see if there was a problem. Feel as if I am getting fobbed off, think I will change car.

Thanks for reply info.

Keith.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This was my previous postToday, our local village had a Christmas market. I drove my 2008 down and parked in a disabled spot as I am a blue badge holder. I found that by reversing in I couldn't open the boot sufficiently to extract my walking stick. I re-entered the car, started it up and moved the gear selector to 'A' to move the car forward. Nothing happened . The gear indicator on the dash remained at 'N' and the car would not move.I then tried Reverse but the indicator stubbornly remained at 'N'. No movement. I then tried moving the selector to Manual but the selector window still said 'N' and the car would not move. We then decided to walk ,albeit slowly, around the village to see the stalls etc. After about 2hrs I struggled back to the car expecting to have to ring the excellent breakdown service provided by the RAC for Motability. The car then behaved perfectly normally and we drove home. I will contact the dealer on Monday but I can guess already their response. "Neither we or Peugeot have ever heard of this fault before" I know that this will be their response because I had the same trouble twice in the 3 years I had my 3008. There are none so deaf as those who chose not to hear. I am only so glad that I was not stuck on a level crossing or somewhere else when lack of drive would have been fatal. I will keep you informed of progress but I repeat my warnings on previous threads that I would consider buying an ECG Peugeot or Citroen very carefully indeed.

·
Registered
273 Posts
And this was the useful reply I had fromFrank Bullitwhich seems to confirm that its a known problemThis has happened a fair few times on the C4 Picasso's with EGS (same thing) - I think its down to not letting the gearbox fully engage neutral before stopping the engine so it's confused when you re-start it; from memory, it's a classic solution of turn the engine off and then on again which 'reboots' it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has happened to me on nurmerous occasions (at least ten) since I bought my car new. I have had to wait up to 20 mins each time to get the vehicle to actually move....trying to all sorts of things. Each time Peugeot say they cannot find a fault. Have you managed to get them to diagnose it as I am in discussion with Peugeot saying that the car is not fit for purpose. Peugeot has agreed to have my car for at least a week to try check everything so will keep you posted. The second to last time it happened a message came up on the screen saying gearbox error. This they said they had sorted as it was a new switch required...unfortunatley 10 days later it happened to me again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sorry for delay. I have just "upgraded to Windows10 which means all my login memories have all disappeared"My best guess is that the dealer will say that there is no fault. Yes there is .The whole set-up is a bag of worms. The programming of a very old box is bad.I will certainly not ever, ever,ever, have a vehicle with thisgearbox again. If I had an aircraft with half the faults that this has, it would stay firmly on the ground. The main complaint I have is that it is unpredictable which in todays overcrowded traffic conditions in MHO makes it dangerous.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well said Alan,

the gearbox is a bag of nails, but I guess madam is one of the lucky ones. Since she's had her car, these last 8-9 weeks, its now covered 7k miles, 10k from new.It was a demo car, so every Tom Dick and Harry had driven it and so far its holding up. Not that I've anything against Tom, Dick & Harry but you know what I mean. Just trying to be PC "KateinNotts" There goes the kiss of death then the car will almost certainly drop all of its oil and the gearbox as well tomorrow.

On Alan's experiences, I did call into the local dealer down here in the sunshine state to get a technician to come out with me and discuss some of the issues we've faced with this box. you might want to see below.

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/my-dealer-my-egc-box_topic1135.html

Hope that helps, but be aware of one thing, battery condition is of paramount importance, I'm not for one minute saying that's the problem with yours, it could be something completely different.

With regards to parking it in reverse, I checked with "madam" about when she came to a stop what she did. Well when she comes in from the office she sticks it in reverse gear and just switches it off. Which allays the suggestion from Alan that you must stop it in neutral. I think shes frightened that she hasn't got the handbrake on properly and it might roll away. Hence why she locks it in gear.

I don't know, but I hope somebody finds out what causes the gearbox to end up with a fistful of neutrals. Put it this way, I think my dealer understands that if it does the same for madam and it leaves her stranded, I won't be leaving their premises without some explanation.

I hope you get it resolved Keith and they aren't such a bad car just not a great one. Wait while winter comes and the electrics start playing up, only joking "Burty"

·
Registered
273 Posts
It was the other Allan who recommended that you park in neutral. My drive is on a slope and I always leave it in gear. Please note that the gear selection must be 'in gear' when you switch off. Moving the lever from neutral to 'in gear ' after switching off leaves it in neutral.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I always parked in gear and, as you say, you have to leave the lever in gear (either Driveor Reverse)prior to switching off the engine.

I did have one occasion when the gears failed to engage properly though.

I'd stopped on a slight hill with the engine running - selected Neutral - footbrake held on whilst we looked across the road at a house frontage.

I then tried to select Drive but the gear wouldn't engage. Moved the selector lever back and forth a couple of times and it was then OK.

Never had it happen again but after reading so many other reports of this ilk I decided to change to the new EAT6 auto.

Al.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You chicken Al,

switching to a proper autobox, what is the world coming to. Do people not have a sense of adventure these days.

Live dangerously I say, get it up to 75mph in the outside lane of the M5 on a Saturday morning coming into the sunshine state, motorway full of those"shed draggers" hoping and praying that you don't lose drive as you notice there is no way across to the hard shoulder, its raining and you've forgotten the telephone number of the break down recovery service that you thought you'd paid your fees too.

Come on guys live dangerously, on second thoughts be sensible park up in a service area next to a dozen or so of these "shed draggers" and set fire to the car, claim on your insurance.

Benefits
You can get a car with a proper gearbox and you free up the roads around my home so I can get out and about.

Seriously, I wonder if this box of neutrals is related to the electronic switches. I mean, a gearbox just doesn't find a selection of neutrals unless a switch tells it too, does it. Could we be falling fall of the french electric disease.......I don't know.
It could be, after all there terminal connections were not always the best, could we have corrosion issues and leaving the car to cool down or switching it off and restarting it, just makes the connection. Hey I don't know, I'm bowing to the guys on here with superior knowledge that understand computers and electronics. I've only just got round to updating the companies computers to "Windows 95" and you want to see the problems that is causing.

So come on guys lets have some "out of the box thinking here". If this is the common problem we all know it is, if we all throw our two pennyworth in, those that have had issues, like when and how did it happen, was it raining heavily, were you travelling on the main road or motorway. Perhaps if we can recollect the exact circumstances there maybe a pattern, I don't know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi GuysNewbie here tonight after googling to see if anyone else had this problem... Hey ho it would seem so !
I've had my1.6eHDi EGC Allure, Bianca White, brand new since 1st Nov 2014. No problems until today

Only parked up for 5 mins. Got back to car and encountered same problem. Tried to shift to Manual but to no avail. Switched engine off and on a couple of times. 3rd time I actually took the key out for 5mins. Hey Presto.. on the road again. A tad unnerving though. I will contact the dealer tomorrow to let them know and find out if they've heard of such issues. Will keep you posted !

Glad it's not just me.... hubby reckons I made it up and the fact I drive like Penelope Pitstop doesn't help matters !

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Viv,

How many miles has your car done, can you remember the sequence you started the car. Was it in gear and then you moved it into neutral, did you wait for the dials to go thro' there sequence of going round etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi again!Questions are too difficult, you need to bear in mind I'm 100mph everyday!
I'm nearly at7000 miles
Ido generally leave it in gear though. I was only out of the car for 2 minutes and probably didn't wait for it to go through the dials when I jumped back in :/ I'll make sure to from now on though if that helps.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This is why I'm afraid to update the software to newest version... Mine is the factory version, never had any problems in all 20.000 miles... I left it in gear, in Neutral, in Reverse...depends on how is happening...cause I also drive a manual car, I did not made a reflex to leave the 2008 in Neutral as in the book. So what can I say...seems that UK forum is having some more problems with this gear...It can be the fact that was needed to adapt the commands to rightdriver partinstead of left driver part?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I purchased a new 2008 Crossover in November 2014, it is the 1600 Diesel Automatic. On a recent trip to to Midlands when trying to join the M18 the car lost total drive. At the time it had approximately 2,600 miles on clock. Had it been a manual I would have said the clutch had gone as the engine was revving with car slowing down??. Having stood for a while I re-started drove along hard shoulder no problems and carried on with journey. I have had the car back to the Dealer who checked it over but unable to trace any fault??. Has or does any one know of this happening to them??. Would be very interested to know as I feel uneasy that it could happen again. Touch wood it has been fine over the last 300 miles.

Many Thanks
Keith.
Hi,

Many Thanks
Keith.
I know this is a little late to the discussion, but in case anyone else comes across this problem as well I feel it is worth sharing my experience.

I was driving at about 50mph and would have been in 5th gear, cruising along going downhill so no need to touch or change gears at this particular point in time. When out of nowhere the engine came out of gear revving through the roof (as if the clutch was down if it were a manual) for about 4 seconds before going back into gear, such at a higher gear unable to change up or down at all while continuing the journey (nowhere safe to stop, it was safer to continue down the hill before pulling over). At this point the warning light came on with gearbox failure, so it is in with a garage to be looked at. But after pulling over and waiting a few minutes, after turning on the engine again, it took a few attempts but the gears started to work once again... Clearly there's something needs sorting at the garage as the warning is still on, but I thought it strange and possibly helpful for someone to know the problem happened at speed then appears to have gone away again after being turned off and on again a couple of times. The car is also a 13plate and had one previous owner, someone I know and so also know they have not had this same problem and had two cars the same...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hi Issy, the earlier EGC robotised manual (it doesn't have a torque convertor so isn't a true automatic) is plagued with problems*.

Which is why I saved up and went for a 66 plate (when the fully automatic EAT6 came out) when I bought mine in 2019.

You've not stated mileage on your 13 plate, a transmission fluid change may help, but if a full new tranny's required it probably won't work out economic to have it done on an 8yr old budget car.

* many with the EGC may jump in here and say 'I've had no problems with mine!' but it's a widely reported issue on t'interweb

·
Registered
308 Posts
I also drive a semi-auto, not yet had any probs (frantically touching wood!!)
I've driven the same type of boxes in other makes (Honda etc) the dealers always updated the software during services, so maybe Peugeot has an update for the 2008?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Naaah they resigned the EGC to history back in mid 2016, so no need for them to update software on a 5+yr old car

1 - 20 of 20 Posts