Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2008 a week now and loving it! Yesterday, another 2008 owner approached me in the swimming pool car park to ask if I knew if the handbrake could be changed for a traditional lever with a button on the end. Apparently, his wife has an element of arthritis in her right wrist and finds it very difficult to apply and release the handbrake with releasing it causing the main problems for her. (with LHD we use our right hands for gear changes & handbrake)I told him to ask at the local concessionaires in Perpignan, where we both bought our cars from. I said I would make some enquiries and telephone him.
Has anyone heard of a 2008 owner modifying the handbrake? I suppose the aircraft-style device is not to everyone's taste and has been criticised in road test reports. The man did say they hadn't thought of the problem when they had their test drive as he was the only one who drove the car.
As a side issue on road tests, the iCockpit has come under a lot of criticism. I'm 7 inches taller than my wife and neither of us has a problem with viewing the instruments over the steering wheel.
Thanks for any ideas

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Sorry, I can't help with the handbrake mod, but on your side issue of the iCockpit, there were some if the first Road tests in the UK that appeared to have a problem seeing the instruments. One in particular was the What Car review that reported "serious ergonomic issues".I believe that the problem stems from the need to place the steering wheel lower than some people would normally have it.One needs to adapt to this driving position (which is far preferable in my opinion).

I have a theory that drive tests of new cars are all written with a compulsion to discover the same issues, so once one credible tester reports a problem, then every following drive test has to do the same.(without doubt many drive tests are copies of others or of press releases anyway, and I am confident that many tests are carried out without the car being available.)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello, the handbrake can be changed if you have there a good workshop... As the cable is tensioning and releasing the brake, is easy to install an electric device that acts at button press. The button can be fixed between the other buttons in drivers left side (you still have 1-2 buttons not used)...
The product that fits is here:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/E-Stopp-ESK001-Electric-Emergency-Brake-Kit,65217.html

Be aware that will affect your warranty, as PUG will say that you modified the car :))))) (the most stupid things I hear in a car service: OMG, you installed a plastic part on doors, and affect your direction...and others like this....:)))) )

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Legally a modification has to be shown as a contributor to a failure to impact a warranty claim on the affected part. For example a manufacturer can't refuse to cover an engine failure if you changed the door handle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts