Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, just want to mention my concern about the deprecation of my 2008 with only 1800 miles , sadly due to ill health i have had to make the decision to get rid of one of my cars, but shock horror , i couldn't believe how much the car lost and after just 2 months.
the car when i purchased towards the end of august 2015was 18500 and now with only 1800 miles i have been offered 10.000 - 11500 , i am struggling to be convinced that a car can loose all that value within such a short time, on another note, the car does what it says . just wish it was worth more.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Every new car takes a major hit as soon as you drive off forecourtEdited by: Mik207

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you paid £18,500 I hope it's a Mistral Feline Blue 120 or e-HDi 115 and came with £2k in used notes in a bag in the boot. Seeing as how you can get these for £16,500, taking the VAT off puts that at low £13k which means £11,500 would be a loss of £1,500.

·
Registered
273 Posts
When calculating a fair price for a nearly new car you have to take into consideration what the dealer has to pay for an identical new one. As Frank rightly points out you have to remove the not inconsiderable VAT from your original price plus the dealer has to add VAT to his buy in price and still make an attractive deal for the new owner. In my experience a dealer will need to make something over £1500 on any deal to cover preparation and all his overheads and he still has to make a profit otherwise he wouldn't be in business. Selling a nearly new car back to the trade is usually not a smart move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello
price was from the Peugeot site, allure in black hdiblue 100 with the grip control system, costs 18500, cant find it on the Peugeot site for 16500 ?dealer didn't mention anything about 2k In notes in the boot so maybe the wife is keeping quite about that reward.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It doesn't matter what the list price is, it's what you paid that matters. The model you quote is £15,500 from an online broker (including metallic paint), take off the VAT and you are down at below £13k, if you've been offered £11,500 that's very good depreciation to be honest. Similar cars are available at Motorpoint for £12,600.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I was offered £11k ish for mine when I was talking about trading it in for a 308 at the beginning of the year. Which I thought was fairly reasonable for a two year old car, but still not worth trading the car for. I was kind've hoping that they would give a generous trade-in in the expectation that they were going to make a sale of a high-end 308 SW. But no, of course not.

Very few cars are worth any more than 50% of the original retail price, at three years old, to sell on the forecourt so something at the low end between that, is to be expected.

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
398 Posts
I sold to private person my Allure 1.6 eHDI 92hp EATwith 16.800 EURO...after 2 years of usage and 45.000 km...So consider selling it to private persons as will not cut your VAT.
The costs for me was Zero at preparation of sale, as I have kept it clean and treat it with Turtle products every month. (at 45.000 km and 2 years wear looked like new one).
Even carpets was protected by extra rubber carpets, and booth had a boot protector from rubber.
So...starting with the moment you buy it, clean it like you want to sell it...and your depreciation will be considerable lower.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wayne said:
hello
price was from the Peugeot site, allure in black hdiblue 100 with the grip control system, costs 18500, cant find it on the Peugeot site for 16500 ?dealer didn't mention anything about 2k In notes in the boot so maybe the wife is keeping quite about that reward.

Sorry to hear of your health. Unfortunately if you paid full asking price without any discounts you're at a loss straight away. As mentioned above with heavy discounts being offered elsewhere you've lost that straight away.

If I were you I would look at selling privately and getting as much as you can for it - check Auto Trader out and see how much others are selling for and price it accordingly.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Before we purchased our 2008 the dealer offered us £3200 for our 5 year old Peugeot 308 1.6 Hdi EGC which was mint with full history and only 30K on the clock..... I politely declined as we were able to purchase the 2008 without Part Exchanging. The following week we put it in Autotrader for £5000 and sold it for cash to the first person who called. So simply put NEVER P/ex and also I would never buy Brand New as has already been said you lose such a big chunk as soon as you take it off the forecourt ..... I always look for 2-3 year old Cars with very low mileage.... Our new 2008 eHdi 92 EGC Allure with Sat Nav and Park Assist is 2 years old with 10K and full history only cost £10,000 ... approx an £8000 saving over new

·
Registered
540 Posts
To be fair, dealers are very nervous about the EGC 'box - when we sold our old Picasso every time I rang to discuss our Part Ex is have to start it with 'it's a manual not the EGS (same as EGC)' the response to which would be a variation of 'thank god for that'.

·
Registered
179 Posts
We traded in our previous 2008 which was bought new in July 2013 in Febrary this year.It wasn't a posh/top of the market one and I remember we paid somewhere in the region of £13,000 - can't remember exactly but it was bought with our then 207 SW traded in. It was a 1.6 petrol.When we traded it in in February it had a very low mileage but was coming up to needing a first MOT this July just gone.We were offered £8K for it, on a 5 month old similar model with 300 miles on the clock.Yes it was a hit but frankly as soon as you drive a new car off the lot, that happens!!

I just enquired about another 2008, a 1.2 petrol (turbo) the other dealership down here had available (mainly because I'm noticing the difference in performance with this car and the previous one).The dealer, who happened to have sold us the first 2008, offered me £9.500 on this latest 2008 but the cost of the new one (and it was new) would have involved me paying £6K plus the trade in price.Not something I could afford to do right now - and this one was black, which I certainly didn't want!!We paid just over £11K for the current car (which with the £8K trade in, meant we paid £3K for the newer car).So the drop in price from just over £11K to £9,500 K, I didn't think was that much of a hit really, had I gone for the black 2008!!

Bottom line, if they do depreciate, I don't think it's a significant sum, in the scheme of things.I am running with the current 2008 for another couple of years and see how we feel, and how our finances look then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts