Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Citroen DS3 e-HDi 110 Diesel on lease at the moment and it goes back in August. Need to find a replacement and have more or less decided on the Peugeot 2008 1.6 e-HDi 92 manual. What i need to know now is what it may cost over a period of two years and also would I be better going for the petrol version over the diesel?

The car will do approx 30,000 miles in those two years. Most of our journeys are between 8-30 miles with probably two trips of around 1500 miles each. Those longer journeys will be in France, Germany and Italy.

I know the diesel needs servicing every 12 months or 12,500 miles so it would need to be serviced twice in the time we have it. The petrol I believe has much longer service intervals and so may only need one service in that 30,000 miles?

Taking all that into consideration I need help with the following;

1. Would I be better going for the petrol version over the diesel given my typical usage?
  2. Not sure on tyre wear but how many miles should I expect from the originals?
  3. Do you think brake pads would need replacing within that 30k miles?
  4. Is it worth extra cost for the automatic over the manual ?
I know of course there are a lot of variables such as how a person drives the car, types of road, weather and so on so I don't expect definitive answers but would welcome some advice based on your experiences so far and on the info I have given above.

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have you driven a 92bhp model? Mrs FB drove one and found the performance comparable to her old 110bhp C4 Picasso (similar engine to your DS3 but with less torque) so I think you'd be disappointed to be honest. As for petrol v diesel with 15kpa the numbers will go diesels way so choose based on the drive of you want a petrol. I'd be amazed if you need new pads but you'll probably need a pair of tyres in that time.

As for servicing, Citroen have just changed the intervals on the 1.6HDi to 12 months or 16,000 miles (roughly 25,000km) so I suspect peugeot will do the same; however, anyone with knowledge of the DW6 engine would think this is barmy...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I tested the 92 auto model this morning and the 115 manual last weekend. Didn't find any issues with the 92. If I were buying as opposed to leasing I would go for the 115 but leasing works differently. There are big discounts on the 92 manual but the 115 bumps the monthly price up considerably and is not an option for us. Also we only want to keep the car two years max.

With the DS3 we have had 2 services costing a total of £300 and I had to replace two rear tyres. At the time there was less wear on the fronts so had them swapped to the rear. They also now need replacing. Was told at the last service about a month ago that the pads only had about 2k left in them so they will also need replacing before the car goes back.

I am no boy racer by the way. I drive fairly steadily and usually within the speed limits. The car has done nearly 27.5k so not sure if the tyre changes and pads are reasonable or not?

Average mpg on the DS3 is 52.5

·
Registered
540 Posts
Pads in that mileage is quite unusual - our Picasso, a big heavy car, needed them at 40k and my A2 only needed new pads and discs at 45k because they were corroded due to me not letting them dry after washing the car; I now dry the brakes properly and in another 60k I've used 30% of my pads! If you 'sit' on your breaks in traffic this wears then prematurely as they are hot and clamped so can distort the disc wearing the pads prematurely.

We do less miles than you (now) but as much as we don't need a diesel putting Gazoil in at ‚¬1.28 is always a pleasure!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got the 92 Diesel and performance is fine, generally most of my journeys are about 15 minutes apart from local short ones to shops etc. I average about 57 MPG which is fine, suspect I get more on longer journeys .If you needed tyres/brakes on the DS3 you probably need them on the 2008. Tyres if you went for the 92 manual it got the softer goodyear all weather tyres, I suspect these may wear quicker than normal tyres as they are softer rubber. I can tell currently as I only done 3k in the car. If you went for the auto version, I believe they have normal tyres generally Michellen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure why the pads have worn so quickly. It surprised me also. I don't tend to sit on the brakes much as I use the stop/start a lot..or I did until it stopped working, which is another thing that needs sorting out before it goes back.

Also surprised at the tyre wear. Have never owned a car in the past 30 years that needed replacements due to them being worn out. Only had to replace due to unrepairable punctures. I did need to change the pads on our C4 VTR+ but it had done over 60k by that time.

I was looking to get the manual 2008 because of the traction control. It's all country lanes around here and they never treat the roads in the winter. Sometimes we could not get off the drive in the DS3 and C4.

Just noticed petes01582, you in Luton? Not far from us then. We are between Hitchin & Luton.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I often travel Hitchin way from Luton, the reason I went for the 2008 was the traction control .Like you say they not that generous with the salt on the roads !

·
Registered
540 Posts
YFUK said:
Just noticed petes01582, you in Luton? Not far from us then. We are between Hitchin & Luton.
Offley? We used to live in Luton years ago and lived in Arlesey until 2007.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not far from Offley. Small place called Ley Green, near Kings Walden. It's one of those "blink and you'll miss it" sort of places ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts