Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had our 1.6 Allure Diesel for nearly two years now and so far it has been problem free and we are very happy with it. It's a lease car and goes back at the end of August. Last week we were just turning into our road after a day out and very suddenly there was this sort of knocking or clunking noise coming from the front left hand side of the car, or at least that is where my wife says it is and I trust her hearing more than my own :)

It's hard noise to describe but sounds like two bits of metal hitting each other. It's not constant and sometimes, on a smooth road it's not there. As soon as you hit some bumps of course it's there and randomly comes and goes as you drive along. When sitting still it's not there even if you rev the engine.

Apart from this the car runs fine, pulls fine, no warning lights etc.

I could of course take it into the dealer but I would rather find out what it is before I do that. Have had bad experiences with dealers before where they tried to charge for things that were not actually faulty.

I checked the recalls in case there were any clues there. I saw there was one for the front suspension wishbone? and was to do with the wrong torque settings for the bolts so I thought maybe a bolt had worked lose but our vin is not within the cars that needed to be recalled.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Perhaps things to check? Oh i did check the exhaust by the way, just in case it was a bracket but it's fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Saul,
Sounds like a suspension or brake caliper problem, worse scenario a broken front spring but then it could be a ball joint or play in that area.
I would have it checked just in case it is a spring or suspension problem, it may be nothing much but you never know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Can't see anything obvious at the moment but will jack it up over the weekend and get under it for a better look (axle stands of course!) need to swap the wheels around anyway as the front are wearing a lot quicker than the rear and I really don't want to splash out on new tyres this close to the car going back.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My experience with Peugeots would suggest anti-roll bar link is the most likely. Alternatively suspension bushes but I wouldn't expect them to suddenly fail and not at all unless you have covered serious mileage.

Don't ignore the obvious like something loose in the glovebox, or in the engine bay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's only done 21k in two years so pretty much average mileage. Yes and it was sudden. No undue noises before it happened. Hopefully nothing too serious. Doesn't seem to affect the drive at all, steering is the same, can't say suspension is any worse.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have you had the brake pads changed recently?
It could be the shield hitting the disc,iwhen you turn the wheel or hit a bump.
It can work loose and move slightly if not tightened enough.
Had the issue before on a zafira

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No haven't had the pads changed recently. I did however have both front tyres replaced with part worns although it was a couple of weeks after that when the knocking/clunking noise appears so I doubt they are connected.

Will be swapping the wheels around over the weekend so can get a better look at the pads/calipers etc and also get under and see if there is anything visibly lose.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Usually anti roll bar rubbers.. These can make an horrendous noise for very little detrimental effect on anything except your nerves..The rubbers are only a few ponds to have replaced

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pilot said:
Usually anti roll bar rubbers.. These can make an horrendous noise for very little detrimental effect on anything except your nerves..The rubbers are only a few ponds to have replaced
Thanks for that. Is that something I would be able to see and check or is it a garage job?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This will give you an idea of cost:

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/steering-suspension/suspension-parts/droplink-stabiliser

But Peugeot official part is likely to be double ish.

Unless it's broken it may not be obvious, but give all parts a good tug and you may be able to feel the wear. Bear in mind that the suspension needs to be loaded otherwise it's likely you won't feel any movement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No we didn't find out what it was. Had two local garages look at it but they couldn't locate the source of the noise. The last garage did a full service and said whatever it is it doesn't seem to affect the car in any way and it would most likely be covered under warranty.

Since it's a lease car and due to go back in 10 days I think we may as well just leave it as it is and let the leasing company take care of it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Saul/ Michael

Madams car developed a knock from the front driver's side over the weekend, so I popped out around the country lanes this morning...goodness me I thought the wheel was coming off.

Anyway, I told her to drop it into the dealership this afternoon. Like Andrew, I assumed it to be a Drop Link, after 48k miles not bad I suppose.

Anyway, on its return, Madam informs me that it will need further investigation this Friday when it's in for its 48k Service as they are uncertain as to whether it's a Top Mount or Strut.

Watch this space

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for that info. Our car has only done 23k. Should we really be having these issues at this sort of mileage?

How can they not know if it's a top mount or strut? Is it so difficult to tell? I know nothing about is which I why I ask.

Our new car is being delivered on Friday but that's only 6 days before the Peugeot goes back so i doubt we would have time to get it booked into a Peugeot dealer and have them ascertain what the problem is and then repair it. I think we'll wait and see what the leasing company say when they have it. After all two garages have said the car is fine apart from the noise :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was wondering if the problem could be a loose engine mount? Seems to be much worse at low revs in 2nd or 3rd gear, when engine vibration is at it's worst.

·
Registered
152 Posts
YFUK said:
I was wondering if the problem could be a loose engine mount? Seems to be much worse at low revs in 2nd or 3rd gear, when engine vibration is at it's worst.

It will be interesting to get a conclusive answer on this one !

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Saul,

Its funny you should say that. I've been out in Madams car today and when its pulling a high gear at low revs it knocks like mad.

So this afternoon I pulled over and openedthe bonnet and rocked the engine and sure enough the knock was there not as loudbut definitely coming from the back of the engine....gearbox mount..possibly.

I'll wait while Madam returns on Friday but I've sent the dealership an email highlighting the issue.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Madam's Car was diagnosed with a faulty Front Strut Drivers Side.

So in good practice, they replaced both Front Struts and Top Mounts while they were at it.

All under warranty and they did it whilst carrying out the48k Service.

Madam says Thank You Peugeot. All nice and quiet now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
uncletone said:
Madam's Car was diagnosed with a faulty Front Strut Drivers Side.

So in good practice, they replaced both Front Struts and Top Mounts while they were at it.

All under warranty and they did it whilst carrying out the48k Service.

Madam says Thank You Peugeot. All nice and quiet now.

Think I'll get a Service and get them checked before the Warranty expires

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Michael

I wouldn't worry about getting them checked when they go you will know about it and it gets louder quite quickly.

Madam's started on a Friday whilst out donating my well earned funds to Waitrose and by Sunday you would have thought the front of the car was falling in bits.

Even turning the radio up it would have been deafening to drown out the knocking.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts