Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, a newbie with my first question.
every morning come hail rain or shine my 64 plate 2008 has a problem with the rear brakes not releasing but will usually do so as the car is driven off with a single or couple of loud bangs.
i have viewed some posts on here,some dating back to 2014, with what looks to be the same problem as mine.
can anyone shed some light on the matter as to whether peugeot have got a resolution to the the problem or not ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm watching this discussion with interest as I've noticed that my car has started doing this too - every morning for the past week. My previous car (a Renault) did it too occasionally.

I have travelled far fewer miles this week than I have been doing over the last few months. Could the lower mileage have anything to do with it? Seems odd for it to suddenly start.Edited by: KateinNotts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have owned 7 peugeot's and this is the first one ever to have this problem. we had our's at the dealership today and as usual they found nothing but preceded to charge me for cleaning the brakes, when my wife went to drive away from the garage the brakes were jammed on and again released with a bang. we have to go back tomorrow for them to have another look but i'd put my mortgage on them finding nothing again.
the service manager had informed us that his had the same problem and this was just a trait of modern cars, eh don't think so!!
will see what tomorrow brings but i think it's down to the material the pads, discs or both are made from

·
Registered
222 Posts
Had this on some previous cars, it is usually the brake pads sticking to the rear discs when parked overnight, especially in cold wet weather, rust seems to form on the discs & with handbrake on for a long period seems to create the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it happens with ours in any weather and happens every morning without fail, the bang when the brakes release is also quite loud

·
Registered
284 Posts
old-yorky said:
Had this on some previous cars, it is usually the brake pads sticking to the rear discs when parked overnight, especially in cold wet weather, rust seems to form on the discs & with handbrake on for a long period seems to create the problem.
That could explain my situation, my car is usually in use during an evening but for the last week it has been parked on the drive from 4pm to 8am - a good 5 hours longer than normal. There is a definite clunk (rather than a bang) as I start to reverse.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think the only way to stop it would be to leave the hand brake off overnight!
The change in brake pad material from the banned asbestos to a 'synthetic' will have something to do with it.
I have found that the loud bang you hear, is coming from the brake caliper & once the handbrake mechanism is released, the pads are sticking to the discs until the car moves and gives the clunk/bang you can hear.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Exactly as I have experienced the noise, especially reversing.
I have had this on a 205gti & 307 models, so as far as I can see there is nothing to worry about.
Must add it happens on other cars not just Peugeot's!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Mine does this. Even after being left in the dry garage. I can't say I have ever given it any thought as it was obvious that it's simply the pads sticking to the disc.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Scott,

If its any consolation its exactly as the guys have said.

Madams car was in for an interim service this week and I believe she mentioned it to one of the technicians who checked the rear pads and linkage.

Its due to the pads sticking to the discs if they are a bit damp and odn't release when you take the handbrake off and as you move off forward or backwards you get the knock/clonk/thud whatever.

She was told that the Peugeot make of pads are prone more than others and said she might consider a different manufacturer when they were due for replacement if it bothered her.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine also does this from time to time - doesn't seem to cause any problems other than the noise when I pull away - only ever happens when left on the drive overnight, and usually only if wet when parked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
burty said:
Mine does this. Even after being left in the dry garage. I can't say I have ever given it any thought as it was obvious that it's simply the pads sticking to the disc.
Seeing as this is happening even after a spell in a dry garage could it be something to do with the hill assist maybe cutting in when it shouldn't ?Just throwing it out there:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah mine also does it. Also happened on my 207, which didn't have hill assist. It's something with rear brakes, but it's just that. No other issues.

·
Registered
316 Posts
This has to do with the material that is used in the disc n pads, its ment to be more eco friendly and as you will find out the discs will need replacing sooner then you might think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts