Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since joining here i have seen a fair few people who have bought the "allure" and maxed it out with optionals. after spending much time on the peugeot configurator comparing prices and specs before placing my order i opted for the "mistral" as it actually cost less than an optioned up "allure" (my initial choice) but came with some extras the allure didnt.

i was just wondering why people chose to option up an allure instead of buying a feline? have i missed a trick??? no offence meant by any of this i was just curious and a little worried i may have missed out on something!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Jonny

I did this (maxed up an Allure) because I wanted an auto - for some reason there isn't one in the Feline range. Must admit I didn't really study the price difference because auto was a priority. I particularly didn't want 17" wheels so thats not an issue but I won't have the alarm system. I'm guess I could add this later (Peugeot or 3rd party) but not sure I need/want it. I think I may also be 'short' of the aluminium pedals and possibly a front and rear bumper protector. The order says something about sill protectors coming in with the leather option. Maybe there's more but its not apparent from the spec booklet - I will find out soon, car is due early/mid March....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Same for me, I wanted an auto.

The Allure does have an alarm system, just not the interior sensor type.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Allan

I missed that, did you know about it prior to ordering? Just asking because I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the blurb. Does that mean blaring horn etc if someone tries to break in etc? How does an interior sensor function and whats the idea?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think one obvious answer is that quite a few of those are Allure models with the 1.6HDi EGC models - you can't get an EGC Feline, nor can you get a 1.6 Auto, 1.2VTi or the new 1.2e-VTi EGC so there is a much bigger choice of engines with the Allure. Some people don't like leather and the only option on the Feline other than leather is Alcantara in an interesting brown colour. I suppose some people don't want 17" wheels either, also some people hate glass roofs.

The one I can't understand is anyone opting for a 1.6e-HDi manual Allure or Feline when another 23bhp and 6 speed gearbox is a mere £600 away, but then I can't understand why peugeot leave electric rear windows off half their key family car range.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
haligary said:
Hi Allan

I missed that, did you know about it prior to ordering? Just asking because I don't remember seeing it anywhere in the blurb. Does that mean blaring horn etc if someone tries to break in etc? How does an interior sensor function and whats the idea?

I queried it with the dealer and he said they all have a perimeter* alarm and immobilizer but the Feline also has an interior volumetric sensor. This can be de-activated if you are leaving anyone/pet inside when you lock it.

* Triggered if anyone opens a door, the boot or bonnet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wanted a 1.6Lt 115bhp Diesel which I will use when travelling overland with.

I was given a good price on the Allure. The only option I did want was the panoramic roof because:
a. I feel that being looked upon from balconies is an invasion of privicy
b. I was told that in Summer (temperatures above 30C) it cooks the inside of the car
c. I will have a roof rack.

The only thing I would have liked to have a standard (but was not offered them) are front parking sensors (parking is not my strong point) and I have to park in some tight places.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
chribonn said:

The only thing I would have liked to have a standard (but was not offered them) are front parking sensors (parking is not my strong point) and I have to park in some tight places.

...you should have added the Park Assist as it comes with front sensors and they are brilliant.

They operate exactly the same as the rear sensors and show front and rear at the same time on the screen.

Worth paying for the Park Assist even if you don't use it for auto-parking as they work in conjunction with the rear sensors.

Al.

·
Registered
153 Posts
allan40alt said:
chribonn said:

...you should have added the Park Assist as it comes with front sensors and they are brilliant.

They operate exactly the same as the rear sensors and show front and rear at the same time on the screen.

Worth paying for the Park Assist even if you don't use it for auto-parking as they work in conjunction with the rear sensors.

Al.

I wish the dealer had offered it to me. I was toying with the idea of having them installed but the thought of someone tampering with the car now puts me off.

Another something I don't have is DAB radio. In Malta we have DAB plus rather than DAB. This is something else I would like to add (I travel overland) and I presume it is simply a software update. I need to check.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The 2008 range has some anomalies and the jump from Allure to Feline offers little 'value'

The difference in price is £1,700 but the options that can be added to the Allure to make a 'Feline' are 17" Eridan 'Antha' alloy wheels (£200), Ceilo panoramic glass roof (£400), Satellite Navigation with second USB (£400), Midnight black leather upholstery with heated front seats (£750), that lot adds up to £1,750 so really the Feline is only £50 cheaper with the volumetric alarm, mats and second 'flip' key thrown in if you wanted each of those options on the Allure - the price gap is too big to be honest. Obviously the used market will value a Feline slightly higher than an Allure with the kitchen sink thrown at it but the price gap should really be £1,300 or so...but then there are plenty of Feline's on here too so people don't mind stumping up!

As it is, depending on prices for the 1.2e-HTP we'll be going for an Allure with the Eridan Anthra alloys, heated front seats, Spirit Grey metallic paint and the load net - Mrs FB wants the park assist where as I would prefer the glass roof but neither is a deal breaker! Obviously mats and a second flip key will be required too.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Frank Bullitt said:
The 2008 range has some anomalies and the jump from Allure to Feline offers little 'value'

The difference in price is £1,700 but the options that can be added to the Allure to make a 'Feline' are 17" Eridan 'Antha' alloy wheels (£200), Ceilo panoramic glass roof (£400), Satellite Navigation with second USB (£400), Midnight black leather upholstery with heated front seats (£750), that lot adds up to £1,750 so really the Feline is only £50 cheaper with the volumetric alarm, mats and second 'flip' key thrown in if you wanted each of those options on the Allure - the price gap is too big to be honest. Obviously the used market will value a Feline slightly higher than an Allure with the kitchen sink thrown at it but the price gap should really be £1,300 or so...but then there are plenty of Feline's on here too so people don't mind stumping up!

As it is, depending on prices for the 1.2e-HTP we'll be going for an Allure with the Eridan Anthra alloys, heated front seats, Spirit Grey metallic paint and the load net - Mrs FB wants the park assist where as I would prefer the glass roof but neither is a deal breaker! Obviously mats and a second flip key will be required too.
When I ordered my Feline there were two listed prices for the Feline Mistral one of which was £200 more than the other. Making the difference between Allure and Feline either £1500 or £1700. I never did find out which price was correct but I assume it was the more expensive. In any event assuming that you want all the options i.e. The 17 wheels, the panoramic roof, the leather and the sat-nav, which personally I did, then why would you not choose the Feline?I agree that without all the options the price difference doesn't make the Feline viable from a financial point of view but all of the options are fairly desirable so for those of us that want a well specified car it makes a great deal of sense.

I have often wondered what the appeal of the Allure was and why so many people had up specified one so much, and I had thought of asking the same question as the OP.It never occurred to me that the EGC isn't available in the Feline.Personally that the EGC is not available in 115 hp made the EGC not worth considering. Edited by: burty

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Calima Ambience is £1,500 more than the Allure - perhaps some earlier information had this confused? If you want all the goodies the Feline is a no-brainer but normally as you up-spec there is a feeling of 'greater than the sum if it's parts' which the Feline doesn't really offer.

Edit: for example, my A2 'SE' cost £500 more than the 'basic' but added 16" wheels (£575), front fogs (£120), false boot floor (£105), Concert II C.d. Player (£200), 4-spoke leather steering wheel (£120), mats (£50), illuminated vanity mirrors (£80) so £1,250 for the options. Bargain.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
little value??????????????????? if you want all the options it's cheaper to buy the feline and you get a couple of extras and the novelty and re sale value of having a higher model id say thats brilliant value!!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
jonnyg30 said:
little value??????????????????? if you want all the options it's cheaper to buy the feline and you get a couple of extras and the novelty and re sale value of having a higher model id say thats brilliant value!!!!
I'd refer you to my earlier comment that if you want everything the Feline offers then yes, it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a similar dilemma when ordering our Allure, the wife wanted the sat nav and roof and was tempted to go for theFeline which was about an extra £200 to £500 with the leather. The only thing that the Feline seem to offer extra was the alarm and chrome pedals so in the end went for Allure- in hind sight might of been better off going for the Feline as I noticed that people ordered the Feline after me and received it a month or so earlier. So I guess standard cars are built quicker than ones with options - something to bear in mind when ordering the bling

Edited by: russo109

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frank Bullitt said:
I'd refer you to my earlier comment that if you want everything the Feline offers then yes, it's a no-brainer.
browser error lol
that comment wasnt there to see when i posted. but in all fairnessmy original question was " is there a reason people buy a FULL OPTION allure instead of a feline" - (I didnt realise the EGC wasnt available on the feline.)
obviously the people who dont want all the options arent going to buy the feline as that would just be a waste of money

i do see where your coming from on the price gap thing but i saw the feline not so much "the next model up" but more a nicer way of saying "an allure with every option". in that respect surely that price gap is correct? all the add ons to make an allure into a feline are equal to the price difference between the 2 trims at standard because a feline is just an allure with all its options at the end of the day???

i dont think it's a great idea and personally i think there should have been an auto option in feline but this is how i interpreted peugeots logic behind it, if any of that makes sense??

·
Registered
540 Posts
jonnyg30 said:
i do see where your coming from on the price gap thing but i saw the feline not so much "the next model up" but more a nicer way of saying "an allure with every option". in that respect surely that price gap is correct? all the add ons to make an allure into a feline are equal to the price difference between the 2 trims at standard because a feline is just an allure with all its options at the end of the day???

As my example with my A2's spec shows though, in most cases if you add all the goodies up on the lower-spec model (if they are all available) then it should be more expensive than the model that has them all on anyway assuming all the options can be had anyway which isn't always the case.

Look at it another way, the difference between an Active and an Allure is £1,200-£1,400 but if you add options to the Active (parking sensors and folding mirrors and visability pack) then that's only £550 but there's a whole pile of stuff on the Allure you can't get on the Active (electric rear windows, different trim, Gris alloys, chrome mirrors, LED track lighting etc. etc. etc.) so if you want some of that stuff you need to get an Allure and if you can live without get an Active - between the Allure and Feline the price of the options makes it all-but the same price with only an alarm, mats and second flip key to show (each of these probably available at the dealer anyway) - it seems odd to have the ability to 'up spec' to a Feline without any real demonstrable value in it - yes, if people want all that stuff it has then great, but if not then an Allure with the options you do want is cheaper. I only want £350 of the equipment you get in a Feline (heated seats and 17" wheels) so will be going Allure.

Going back to your original point it's like I said in my first post, engine choice and gearbox choice will play amajor part but I've diluted the thread by commenting on the odd pricing structure of the Feline.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
makes sense, i did think it was rather odd the feline had nothing truly "unique" about it. especially compared to other manufacturers lines like you said. i will be honest and say i havnt seen it done this way before lol

my understanding was purely to get my head round why things were the way they were. i think it would have been a lot simpler and better if they had just included an auto option and given it something "unique" but hey im sure peugeot have their reasons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Most reviews I've read do discourage the purchase of the feline range toppers as they don't offer particularly good value. The numbers seem to stack up to me, but I was prepared to sacrifice some spec for a greater saving.

By buying an ex-demo I got some extras thrown in to my allure (glass roof, mats, luggage net & boot guard) and got a bargain purchase too - £14,800 for a 1.6 edhi allure, 5 month old car with 700 miles on the clock, with 2 years servicing in that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts