Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped the long aerial for a nice 'stubby'.

I'll post a photo later.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's my alternative aerial:

Radio works fine but I need to test it 'out-n-about' so I'll have to wait until Sunday 1st to do that.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
How much longer is the standard aerial?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The standard aerial is 405mm ( 16" ).

The 'stubby' is 180mm ( 7" ).

Easy to swap, just unscrew and screw-in.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Interesting, thanks Al.

If the top of the standard aerial is much above 6 foot I could have a problem clearing my garage door.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just checked mine and it's approx 5' 6" to the top of the 'stubby'.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Al,
The stubby looks like a good idea. Can I ask you where you bought it?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
193 Posts
Al, looks good, let us know when you can about reception strength. On the radio screen the circles on the right tell you how strong the signal is so you should be able to get a direct comparison. Dab radio will be particularly sensitive.

Mac.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, will test tomorrow.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gave it a test this morning and there was only the slightest drop with DAB.

I switched the aerials a couple of times and there was the barest of difference.

Am and FM was full reception with no problems.

I'm keeping my 'stubby' fitted for sure.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Excellent, that's good news Al, I will order one and try the same. Signal for Dab is a tad weak where I live though.

Thanks Mac

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I don't think this DAB radio is living up to all the hype!

I'm quite happy with FM and there's no problem at all with the stubby FM reception.

AM also was fine , listened to a bit of Talk Sport without any problem.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just tested DAB in my garage.

Tuned into Talk Sport on DAB this time and I got full reception on the indicator.

Tested several others on a scan and they varied from 2-3 tiny mast dots to all the 'waves'. Most were 1 or 2 waves but a couple, like Talk Radio, were full reception.

That test was inside my garage which is integral in the house, not a separate garage.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi molinari, hope you don't mind me including your post in this thread as it keeps all the info together:
Molinari quote:

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/antenna-replacement_topic218.html
I have switched the original antenna with a shorter one. I usually park my car in a automated underground car-park which requires to remove the antenna before the car is stored. This one is short enough to allow the annoying operation to be bypassed
<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.ebay.com/itm/251284302568?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">The FM reception in the urban areas is unchanged and the FM coverage in Denmark is good also in the countyside. The RDS frequency hop also compensate the relative signal loss.
<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">It think it looks much better than the original antenna

Al.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allan thanks for keeping the forum "clean" :) I'll try to remove the other tread

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
molinari said:
Allan thanks for keeping the forum "clean" :) I'll try to remove the other tread

If I delete my latest post then you you delete yours....etc....unless Dan can do it all in one go......

PS: your turn.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
let's continue the areal discussion on this tread. I can't figure out how to delete the other tread, perhaps som administrator can do that for me?

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Well I found out that my aerial doesn't clear the Garage door, not cleanly anyway. This is a bit of a shortcoming IMHO given that my door is about 6 foot 2 above the floor in the open state IIRC.

So I ordered one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321165501162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

What I find irritating is that it appears to be impossible to find any form of performance information for all these aerials, and none make any claims in respect of compatibility for DAB. DAB frequencies are roughly double that of FM so it's not a given that anything working on FM will automatically work on DAB.

I shall wait and see.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi burty.

Well it's a nice clean looking 'stubby' aerial but I do prefer one with the extra spiral wrap around it.

Guess you can only test it and compare it with the standard aerial for reception.

Al.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts