Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not quite getting whats up with my auto lights and wipers?

i have noticed when auto wipers are on the lights automatically come on, which is fine i understand why the designers would want that to happen.

the bit im not understanding is why the lights don't turn off again in bright sunlight when the wipers are turned off? i left them for 10 minutes or so before manually turning the lights off myself so i could see the screens better but i immediately switched them back to auto and they stayed off. this happened a fair few times and has happened ever time i have used the wipers in the past so i assumed this is how they worked but then one time when i turned the auto wipers off it remained cloudy and dull and dark (a point where i would normally turn my lights on) and the lights turned off after 10 15 mins??

this wouldnt normally irritate me but driving through the early april showers when it was dull and dark to super bright sunshine again 10 minutes later it would have been nice for the automatic system to be "automatic" without the need for me to reset it.

i also noticed the auto wipers do strange things like random double wipes and randomly try to clean a dry windscreen when it's not raining and react perfectly to a change in rain intensity on some occasions and horrendously slow on others and some times selecting completely the wrong type of wipe altogether???

is this just nature of the beast with these types of systems? is it a "peugeotism" or do i have a problem??

i'd also like to confirm none of the sensors where obstructed or covered up or dirty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This doesn't sound right.

I've only ever had to turn my lights on once manually which was when it was foggy.

All the other times the lights activate at the correct times.

As for wipers they are the same..turn them to automatic and leave there...never had the double wipe you mention either.

Might be worth a trip/call to the dealer and see if they can take a look.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate appreciated, having not ever had these systems before i have nothing to compare them to so i don't know whats normal and whats not.

just to clarify though my main issue is with the lights not turning off, turning on they appear fine.

interested to hear others thoughts and what they have experienced too

Edited by: jonnyg30

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is my first car with this system however have driven a few with it, worst one being a Kia that I had as a courtesy car....that was shocking...would just turn on for no reason then off about 10 minutes later in the height of summer so sun was blazing down (makes a change for the UK i know), where as I had a VW Golf for a company car which worked perfectly much like the Peugeot system.

With the lights coming on and off I cannot fault it...sometimes (would say twice since i've owned it from Jan) the lights have come on in daylight god only knows why but then shortly after turned off.

I drove up to southampton shortly after getting the car leaving home at 6 in the morning...lights came on perfectly as you would expect...then at about 7.30-8.00 ish they then went off as it got lighter so proved it worked.

With yours not going off though that doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't think it sounded right but thought id check, well initially i thought thats how the system was designed as they never turned themselves off unless the ignition was turned off and then on again ie arriving somewhere then heading back, or i reset them myself (switch off then back to auto) which i thought was a stupid way of designing an automatic lights system but then they randomly turned themselves off when i would have forgiven the system for leaving them on! totally strange.

will give the dealer a ring tomorrow and see what they say, will also mention the auto wipers that have a mind of there own. i can live with random double wipes and occasional wiping of a dry screen but on a few occasions they left me driving blind for a lot longer than wanted before they decided to up the wiping speed. it was a steady increase in rain as well so it should have been able to deal with it. i could get my head round it if they where rubbish all the time but sometimes they work flawlessly

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
That sounds like a classic failure.Most recent Peugeots have a system often referred to as a Comm2000 which is the electronics with the lighting and indicator stalks behind the wheel, and these are notorious for failures similar to you describe - stuff turning on when it shouldn't, not turning off etc

By the way I have never noticed my lights coming on with the wipers.My automatic lights always work as you expect and definitely go off if it gets light.My car is garaged so often the lights come on when I start but as soon as I get the car out of the garage they go off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brilliant, cheers burty thats what i wanted to hear

well ..........no one wants to hear they have a fault with their brand new car but it came to light during warranty period and it's not just a stupid design that i have to live with and i can get it fixed!! so thats a bonus!!

EDIT: just read the manual, the auto lighting will activate "in certain cases of activation of the windscreen wipers" so that bit is correct BUT! "as soon as the brightness returns to a sufficient level or after the windscreen wipers are switched off, the lamps are switched off automatically" definitely not!!!!

Edited by: jonnyg30

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wipers are a little erratic as well, but have never left it so long to be a danger, but i have stepped in sometimes, but that is getting less and less as i am getting more patient and they always wipe albeit a little late. This has only been with lighter showers, in heavy rain its fine. The lights definitely come on about 50% of the time during the day if the wipers switch in but they do go out again. Going through tunnels , bridges and local underground car parks during the day the lights come on and about 5 secs after being out they turn off again.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've had a 206 GTi, a 207 GT, and the 2008 of course, all with auto wipers.

The Auto wipers on the 206 were fantastic. So good that you never noticed them on, if you see what I mean. The 207 and 2008 seem to be not quite at the same level and I have found myself occasionally intervening to stop them wiping a dry screen or making them wipe when you feel they need to.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shes booked in for monday so will see what happens, i tested the system with a torch last night and it did turn the lights on and off however that was a big brightness difference my issue is with the lights not turning off after wipers have turned them on and so far the wipers have turned them on 100% of the time regardless of ambient light.

·
Registered
273 Posts
All Peugeots with automatic wipers and lights turn the headlights on when the wipers operate as its a legal requirement in many states for lights to be used during rain and in my opinion is safer anyway. The lights then usually stay on for some time after the wipers have ceased operation so your vehicle seems to be the same as every other in this respect. The auto wipers on the 2008 seem to perform in a much saner fashion than in my old 3008. On that the wiper speed seemed totlly unrelated to vehicle speed or rain density. Havin said all that I rarely use the auto function. I don't find turning them on manually much of a chore.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was just about to start a new topic but found this thread on the subject....

My auto lights and windscreen wipers are confusing me. I've had them on my last 4 cars (admittedly all Renaults) and I've never had any issues. However, in the few weeks that I've had my 2008 I've found that I've ended up having to turn the auto lights off as they come on (and stay on) if there is a slight dark cloud and spot of rain.

Can anyone tell me how quickly the lights should switch off after the last drop of rain (assuming decent light levels) please? They switch off quickly if I drive under a bridge yet stay on if activated by the wipers (I end up manually switching them off). I understand why the lights activate when the wipers switch on but the fact that they stay on puzzles me.

Advice would be appreciated please!

Thanks....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts