Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the 2008 has an AGM technology battery I decided to get a new charger and the Ctek MXS 5.0 seems to be one of the most suitable as it has a selection for charging AGM batteries.

It gets great reviews and has the ability to resurrect an almost dead battery.

I've ordered mine from Amazon:

Ctek MXS 5.0 battery charger

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSb-HYqh6o" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Ctek
info video</a>

Ctek MXS 5.0 info page

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVPh8Lj8EK8" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Ctek
8-step charging video</a>

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had planned to just charge the battery 'in-situ' as the manual says you don't have to disconnect it for charging.

The Stop & Start battery does not have
to be disconnected for charging.

I can only find one battery** fitted to the 2008 for the UK (apart from a small back-up for the SOS system).

This one main battery in the engine compartment is the same as they are referring to in the manual as the 'Stop/Start' battery as it has the same stickers attached.

There is also a further warning regarding disconnecting this battery:

The presence of this label indicates
the use of a 12 V lead-acid battery with
special technology and specification, for
which the involvement of a PEUGEOT
dealer or qualified workshop is required
when replacing or disconnecting the
battery.
Failure to observe this recommendation
may cause premature wear of the
battery.

I shall only connect the charger directly to the battery + and - terminals.

Al.

NB: I read somewhere that people claim there are 2 batteries but I've just spoken with my dealer and he has confirmed that there is only one main battery.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received the new charger today and I must say it's a really nice piece of kit. Looks and feels quality.

I topped up the battery in my 2008 using the 'Car' selection. I was going to use the AGM setting but I read that it was for Optima or Odyssey batteries or other approved AGM battery**.

As I don't know whether the Varta battery in the 2008 is approved** I decided to just use the 'Car' setting as per the instruction book regarding non-specified types. I've emailed Varta to query this charger as to its suitability with their AGM batteries**.

I connected directly to the + and - terminals and it completed the charging cycle without any problem. It has special circuitry so it does not damage sensitive electronics.

Battery reached full charge in 4 hours so I decided to charge my wife's 206 battery. She only does short runs so her battery doesn't get chance to fully re-charge.

This also took around 4 hours to full charge.

Really nice bit of kit. Solidly made and nicely finished. Crocodile clips are fully insulated.

Simple to use. Connect the charger to the battery/Connect the charger to the wall socket/Press the MODE button to select charging programme. It remembers the MODE setting for the next time you use it.

It also has a 'Reconditioning' cycle for really poor batteries.

I'm well pleased.

Al.

** Reply received. See next post.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just had a reply from Varta and the the setting does need to be the special 'Snowflake' for charging the AGM Stop/Start battery fitted in our 2008:

Thank you for your enquiry.

An AGM
battery does need to be charged differently from a conventional starter battery
so for charging purposes the AGM setting is the one that needs to be
used.

Regards,

Debbie.
Customer Service Team
Johnson
Controls Power Solutions Europe
[email protected]

NB: As these AGM batteries charge at a slightly higher rate than conventional batteries I would not recommend using a cigarette lighter adapter. That's just my personal view.

The 2008 handbook recommends connecting the negative to an earthing point away from the battery but I understand this is an EU directive as some batteries give off gasses which can be ignited by a spark.

The gassing should not be a problem with our type of sealed battery and in addition the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger is spark proof, reverse-polarity protected and short circuit proof.

The VARTA instruction book shows the direct battery connection but does say the negative should be connected away when charging batteries fitted inside the vehicle ie: under the rear seat or in confined spaces etc.

Connect to the battery prior to connecting and switching on the wall power socket as advised.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hi could you help as a little confused

all this talk of battery chargers

am I missing something

a brand new car , a battery charger isthe last thing on my mind

we've owned our presentvehicle 13 years and had no need for one ( in fact still running on original battery)

thanks grahame

·
Registered
256 Posts
grahame2323 said:
hi could you help as a little confused

all this talk of battery chargers

am I missing something

a brand new car , a battery charger isthe last thing on my mind

we've owned our presentvehicle 13 years and had no need for one ( in fact still running on original battery)

thanks grahame
Okay so its official am not stupid, was thinking the same thing myself :)

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't do many miles so if I don't take the car out some weeks then I like to keep the battery topped up.

This thread was to make people aware that these AGM technology batteries require a more sophisticated type of charger, not just for the battery but also for the car electronics.

My wife's 206 only does short journeys (mainly picking the grandchildren up and dropping at school or shopping at Tesco etc) and so it doesn't get chance to charge itself properly.

My old charger was fine for her car, but not for my new one.

If you do plenty of mixed motoring then I doubt you will need a charger but this was to make people aware that you shouldn't use a 'cheapo' type charger with this technology.

Al.

·
Registered
144 Posts
thanks allan started to panic , as I thought the days of bump starting a vehicle on a cold wet day usually on a dark morning were long gone

now we can look forward to our new arrival

grahame

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...you can't even bump start the EGC version...

Al.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Al,Glad everything went well when you used your Ctek MXS 5.0 battery charger for the first time on the 2008. You said:
"I connected directly to the + and - terminals and it completed the charging cycle without any problem. It has special circuitry so it does not damage sensitive electronics".

Could you just confirm you did not disconnect either of the battery leads before starting the cycle?
Harry.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Harry.
Both leads were left attached to the battery.

I connected to the bracket on the rear terminal for the negative and on the positive lead just below the red release lever on the positive battery terminal. Ignition was left off during the charge.

I shall use the 'snowflake' setting on the chargerin future as that is also the AGM battery charge setting.

Al.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts