Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I desperately want to order a new diesel 2008 but am reluctant to order a car with an engine that is already out of date!
When will the 2008 be available with the Blue HDi engines that now seem to be available in most other Peugeot models? Why would I buy a 2008 with a diesel 1.6 115bhp engine when at any time the Blue HDi 1.6 120bhp may become available? This engine is more powerful, more efficient, has lower CO2 emissions and road tax banding, is lighter, and is reported to be smoother/quieter/nicer to drive?
I've been patiently waiting more than 6 months to buy a 2008 Blue HDi 120 and am now getting a bit fed up! I'm now thinking I should get a Captur or Mokka instead!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Does the Mokka have a more modern Diesel engine?

If you are worried about power from the eHDI 115 bhp engine, how does the Capture's 90bhp engine suit? Edited by: burty

·
Registered
540 Posts
Neither the Captur or Mokka has Euro 6 Diesel engines, which is the step-change that 'Blue HDi' brings to the Peugeot Citroen range; in fact, the Mokka's diesel far from being modern is based on a unit that powered the ark and you can tell. The 1.5dCi in the Captur is a better engine but it's no ball of fire and has no real charm; I've driven one and the 1.6HDi 115 in my current car beats it in every single way. The HDi engine in the 2008 is newer than both having been largely revised in 2010.

'Blue HDi' is being rolled out across the brand, production is being ramped up so at the moment it's only still in a few models (certainly as a 1.6), the Euro 6 compliance comes from an injection of a product into the fuel system, on the. C4 Picasso Blue HDi models this takes the place of the spare wheel - personally I'd rather have a spare with a HDi than a Blue HDi without; also, have a look at last weeks test of the Citroen C4 Cactus in Autocar - it had the 1.6HDi 100 'Blue' engine and I don't think they saw the engine as a huge step change.

As for the 2008, if the wait for the 1.2e-THP is anything to go by, the Blue engines won't be released for a while.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I test drove the Mokka 1.7 diesel and it was nowhere near as refined as the 1.6 eHDI Peugeot.

Buy the car you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Mokka with a 130bhp diesel gets good reviews, so does the Captur diesel with 75mpg. However a 2008 with 120bhp & 75mpg would, in my opinion, be the best of all. It's an engine that Peugeot already have in other models - why are they neglecting the 2008? The competition in this segment is getting fiercer with the Cactus, new Ford Fiesta-based SUV and the revised Juke and Peugeot cannot afford to stay still. With the Blue HDi and petrol THP they have some of the most advanced engines currently available and would keep the 2008 at the top of this segment list. I want to change my 11 year old 206 and I'm a big Peugeot fan, but I won't be ordering a 2008 until it has one of the new engines - looks like I could be waiting some time!

·
Registered
540 Posts
The Mokka diesel might get good reviews but look at the owners forum - the 1.7CTDi is a nightmare on numerous levels (my favourite is it cutting out on roundabouts...).

Peugeot-Citroen tend to phase new engines into the range, the last big diesel change was in 2010 when the old 1.6 16v 'DW6' engine was replaced by the new 8v version; this was phased over about 12 months to take account of production capacity ramping up and introducing it with planned facelifts of existing models - it first saw light of day in the C4 Picasso and Grand Picasso as they were due a mid life refresh on spring 2010 but other cars waited, like the 308, and C3 Picasso - they never got into the 207 (I think...) on account of the 208 coming.

The fact Peugeot haven't rushed Blue HDi into the market for the 2008 suggests to me there is a series refresh due at some point with a change to spec (rather than visual change) on it's way; peugeot often do this so I'd expect a change to increase the goodies on each model a little at some point in the next 6 months along with the e-THP engine (which seem to now be branded Puretech) and Blue HDi.

I don't think peugeot will be worried about the new Ford EcoSport - I've not seen a positive thing written about it and it looks dreadful; the Captur is a great car but be under no illusions, the Diesel engine is older than the HDI on the 2008 - the economy stats are also, like everyone else's, pure fantasy. No, a 2008 1.6HDi is as competitive as it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
TurtleWaxDax said:
The Mokka with a 130bhp diesel gets good reviews, so does the Captur diesel with 75mpg. However a 2008 with 120bhp & 75mpg would, in my opinion, be the best of all. It's an engine that Peugeot already have in other models - why are they neglecting the 2008? The competition in this segment is getting fiercer with the Cactus, new Ford Fiesta-based SUV and the revised Juke and Peugeot cannot afford to stay still. With the Blue HDi and petrol THP they have some of the most advanced engines currently available and would keep the 2008 at the top of this segment list. I want to change my 11 year old 206 and I'm a big Peugeot fan, but I won't be ordering a 2008 until it has one of the new engines - looks like I could be waiting some time!

I can't figure your logic. You say that you won't buy a 2008 without it having the most up to date engines but you would choose to buy one of two alternative vehicles with older power plants.

Have you driven a Mokka? I have driven the 1.7 135 bhp diesel and it certainly wasn't as refined as the 115bhp diesel 2008 and didn't feel any faster, it certainly didn't feel like 135 bhp.

I can't speak for the Captur but one decision maker for me was the rather underwhelming 90 bhp, the other was the rather utilitarian interior. It's a shame because externally I think it's pretty funky (particularly in black).

75 mpg and 120 bhp is pretty appealing in a 2008, sadly I will have to stick with80mpg and only
115bhp.

Stop making excuses and buy the car you want to drive.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Talking to dealer about this ages ago, he told me later part 2015 early 2016 there will be new emission levels coming from EU, PSA are working on new diesel that will be below these levels, PSA want to be a jump ahead the comp when happens, if his correct can't see them arriving for a while yet.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Eventually the Blue HDi engines will come with an auto box of some sort but When? Is the obvious question.

Mik, the Blue HDI engines are here - there are currently 100 and 120bhp 1.6HDi engines being floated through the PSA range along with the 180bhp 2.0HDi engine, other versions will follow. By September 2015 all engines produced will need to be Euro 6 which, for PSA, is 'Blue'.

The 2.0HDi in the Citroen DS5 has a 6-speed full auto but at the moment there's no clue whether the 1.6's will have a proper auto or ECG, there's still no clue when any will be in the 2008 manual or auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally able to order a 2008 with the BlueHdi engine! I hope it's worth the wait! I also hope my trusty old 206 will last the 12 weeks wait until delivery!Anyway, I've ordered a 2008 Feline Mistral 1.6 BlueHDi 120 6 speed manual in Nimbus Grey with the following extras: Park Assist and 17" Eridan Brilliant Black alloy wheels. Excited!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Good luck! and many many miles :)
Still don't know why BlueHdi...my 1.6 eHdi is an excelent consumer (3.8 liter/100km, you do the math :)) if you keep it in speed no more than 95km/h ...for me is very good.
Waiting your feedback on blueHdi and what is changed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I ordered a e-HDI a couple of days ago and now my dealer has told me it will change to a bluehdi as that is what is being fitted to the Allure spec 2008, hope this helps you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts