·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the boot is a standard W5W (501) that gives quite a yellow light and has pretty poor illumination.

I swapped mine for one of these 5SMD LED:

They give better illumination and are very white.

These alternative LEDs are available from Amazon/Ebay at a very reasonable cost.

Al.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Al, will you be offering your time to kit out the forum users cars.

It sounds as if you enjoy this kind of work

I for one would be first in the queue

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll bring my own bulbs and wax and beer

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....there's hardly any bulbs to replace as most are either'specials' or LEDs already.

The 'Stop' bulb could probably be replaced with a CanBus multi LED but that would make it more visible through the lens.

The headlights could probably do with being 'whiter' but it does work out costly and the whiter they glow the less they last.

LEDs burn less energy. The ones I have are only around 1 watt as opposed to the standard bulb 5 watts. The standard W5W (501) bulb also gets extremely hot.

NB: LEDs are 'way sensitive' so if they don't work when you fit them then remove them, turn 180 deg and re-insert. They should work Ok then.

Incidentally, I didn't use a CanBus LED in the boot as I figured it won't be monitored there.

·
Registered
311 Posts
is that your polite way of saying No?<div style="display: inline !imant; ">

Well as my grandma always says, you don't ask, you don't get

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..Oh, I don't mind doing it, in fact, I'll even give you the LED (I have loads left over from all the changes to my previous Qashqai; I changed them all back when I sold it); but coming from Nottingham to Rugby for a bulb change that takes 5 mins to do seems a bit ott.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've been using these bulbs in my sidelights on my bike. They are better than the good old fashioned filament bulbs in a number of ways but my experience is that they don't last. The individual filaments tend to fail after about 6 months. (These LED bulbs get surprisingly hot and the holders break down.) Bear in mind that on the bike they are on all the time and I cover about 15000 miles a year, that probably equates to around 500 hours.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had several installed in my Qashqai and only ever had one start to 'flicker' on one of the LEDs.

I even have an LED fitted in my porch, patio, garage, hall and landing.

5W LED = 80W incandescent

3.5W LED = 60W incandescent

Ideal for areas where the light is left on for hours at a time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008X6OCS4/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BIN9G3A/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went for the Warm White as the Cool White had a slight 'bluish' tinge.

Around 50000 hours life they reckon. Different cap fittings are available.

PS Here's a better photo of the boot light:

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just had a quick look and I think they are W5W bulbs in the rear number plate lights.

Easy to get the lens off but you need very small fingers to get the bulbs out.

May have to stick a short length of insulation tape on and gently pull or get a fine blade screwdriver to gently lever from the socket end.

PS: Changed them to LEDs this morning. Old bulbs came out easy using a fine screwdriver inserted just a little at the end of the bulb in the socket and very gently prising and teasing the bulb out.

New LED was very simple to insert.

See new thread: http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/number-plate-bulbs-swapped_topic169.html#1147

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOOT LIGHT CHANGE:

To remove the original bulb you first have to take out the lens housing complete.
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">This is easy to do with a small bladed screwdriver to prise out one end.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Note: the unit can only be prised out from one end as the other end has a tiny plug connected to the supply wire. You can remove the tiny plug and lead if you wish but mind it doesn't disappear back through the hole.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">When out you then remove the cover plate from the back. This comes off easy as it's slightly sprung on the sides. It comes off completely, or will hinge upwards, whichever you prefer.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Test the new LED for correct polarity before replacing the back on the housing unit.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">To replace the housing, insert and locate the plug end first.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Remember: These are plastic so be gentle. At no time do you need to use any force!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These pictures show the boot light housing unit.

There seems room for a 9 LED to fit easily (I've only used a 5 LED) which will give better illumination.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">PS: I decided to order some 9 LED for the boot as it will give better illumination. I've ordered from the same supplier that I got the Blue footwell LEDs from.

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-SMD-LED-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-HID-XENON-WHITE-CAR-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-T10-501-W5W-194-/150931320255

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just installed the 9SMD-LED in the boot area.

Amazing difference in brightness for the boot area.

Above is the 5SMD-LED

Below is the new 9SMD-LED

Well worth getting the 9 version for the boot area.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-SMD-LED-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-HID-XENON-WHITE-CAR-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-T10-501-W5W-194-/150931320255

Fast delivery also!

PS: In actual fact you can see more than is shown in the photo (phone camera). The illumination with the 9SMD-LED is extremely good and well worth upgrading. You have to buy these in pairs but with free p&p it's well worth it and you've got a spare!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Allan I have lost track of how many bulbs you have replaced so far :)Did you manage to replace the reverse light too?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I haven't looked at that as it's one of the main bulbs.

I also thought about the STOP light and rear FOG light but I thought I'd wait a while to see after the check-up I have for the car on 26th of this month. There's also the front FOGs but I don't think LEDs there are strictly 'road legal'.

I've only done the W5W replacements at present.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As you have already ordered these you could start a fresh Thread and do a report (comparison photos as well please
).

They do look ideal* for the reverse and rear fog light and changing them looks straightforward enough.

I'll let you know whether any problems occur with the check over on 26th.

Al.

PS:...*are these CanBus? If not they may not be suitable.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi molinari, I don't think those 'lens' type of LEDs will be suitable for the reverse or rear fog as the bulb holder enters the fitting on the side, not on the rear.

Looks easy enough to remove the bulb holder but the 'lens' of the LED will be pointing towards the side, not to the rear of the car. The reflector may overcome this to a degree but the bulb/LED definitely fits sideways and you may not get the brighter light you are hoping for.

Al

PS: I've just removed and replaced the bulb holder to check. Easy to do in a few seconds, but the bulb will be sideways. You probably will need the 360 degree CanBus type of LED.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have replaced the 9-led bulb with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T10-194-168-W5W-6-5050-SMD-LED-Side-Wedge-Dashboard-Car-Light-Bulbs-Ultra-White-/310733108345?pt=US_Car_Lighting&hash=item485922f479

this because only the leds facing the clear part of the housing are efficient for the illumination of the trunk. thee's no reflector in the housing af the leds opposite to the clear plastic don't have any function, even those on the sides have a limited effect. This bulb has 6 leds facing the clear plastic and do illuminate the trunk way better than the previous led bulb

Edited by: molinari

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<strike>Good job the supply polarity is the right way around otherwise they'd all be facing away!</strike>

I notice they don't ship to the UK though.

PS:...I notice they are suitable for either polarity so +/- is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts