Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to keep the bumper protecter on? Mine keeps coming off and I have even taken to a body shop and had it put back! But it still comes off! Anybody else had the same problem?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Mammoth tape is fantastic.

Mammoth Tape

You can get it in various widths.

Make sure you clean the surface on both parts with methylated spirits or other alcohol cleaner so as to remove all grease/oil.

Apply on a warm surface (use a hair dryer on a cold day).

PS: These are brilliant as well in the garage: Wonder Wipes

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mines bonded on now

·
Registered
217 Posts
quite a few of us in the same boat, tried all sorts of different bonding methods all have failed! the boot sill is quite a nasty surface to bond to. my last resort is to drill, countersink and rivet the damn thing on!! lol i joke but i was going through the pots of rivets this morning to see if we had any the right size!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi I cannot begin to tell you the trouble I'm having with my boot sill. Corners came up, I forgot and caught the boot bottom and scratched the paint. Now a local Peugeot dealer said it isn't covered as my itemised Bill from a different dealership where I purchased the car has not listed the inhibitor kit needed for correct installation! Major fob Off going on. The original garage said they would re-do it BUT now they said Peugeot stopped supplying the sill. I think they're talking nonsense, many on here have commented about corners lifting, yet they're saying the bumper surface wasn't prepared properly. Rubbish.Edited by: cbobo

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
jonnyg30 said:
quite a few of us in the same boat, tried all sorts of different bonding methods all have failed! the boot sill is quite a nasty surface to bond to. my last resort is to drill, countersink and rivet the damn thing on!! lol i joke but i was going through the pots of rivets this morning to see if we had any the right size!!

I have even considered riveting the trim in place. That's how it would have been done in the past.

I was fastidious about preparation and fitting of the trim when I fitted mine, I cleaned the bumper thoroughly and applied extra mammoth tape as well. I think there are a number of problems with this:
The bumper itself is not a particularly good surface to bond to, particularly when new.
The trim profile doesn't naturally follow the curved surface of the bumper at the ends meaning that the ends of the trim are continually pulling up.
With the trim in place the water run-off from the tailgate has nowhere to go other than under the trim. What it needs is to be sealed along the forward edge (i.e. the edge nearest the tailgate).

Mine is quite well fixed in the middle but not at the ends from about 100mm from either end. When I get the time I will probably pull it off completely and re-apply after re-profiling so it sits flat without adhesive, and likely seal completely around the trim .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine has done this too.

They said they were going to 'sort it' as part of the Black Ones two day holiday back at the dealership (don't ask, see other post). When I went to drop the courtesy car off and pick mine up they said "all done". The service guy drove the car from the compound to the service reception door. I went out and lo and behond....... the corners had popped up! They put it down to the fact the car had been washed before the bond had had time to dry. I know of other people's problem so had a little wry smile to myself at this point.

But, yes, it does damage the boot paint work. They have promised me that as soon as the sill stays bonded, they will have the car back in to sort that out (under warranty). So they are having another go Saturday.

The other annoying thing is that it is curled enough just to stop the boot opening. So this means you have to put down whatever you want to put in the boot, hold the sill down while opening the boot! You have to be a bit of a contortionist to achieve this! Certainly can't pop the boot one handed at the moment.

Trivial, but annoying.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm so pleased I got the dealer to fit it prior to delivery. So if ours starts to come off I'll let them sort it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you think it could be the sun's heating effect that causes the protection plate to buckle and lift at the ends? That manufacturer's double-sided black bonding tape proves woefully inadequate..
I left my pristine 2008 parked at Luton airport whilst on holiday recently and on return could not open the rear luggage door.. not too clever when travel weary and wanting to stow those awkward travel cases.... took a while to suss that the door lock itself was not faulty, but that the bumper protection plate's ends had lifted and curled up sufficiently to catch against and damage the paintwork at the bottom of the door - so first scratches already and not 1000 miles driven yet.
Can anybody please help with a known and proven cure for better fixing this otherwise pleasing accessory....
and is there any way Forum members could jointly approach Peugeot to get action over such annoying yet shared minor problems that could easily otherwise be long-term individually shrugged off?

Thanks.. great car otherwise

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am having one fitted to my ex-demo car before I collect it next month and specifically raised this as a question. The reply was that that is why it costs £51 to have it fitted as it has to be pressure and heat bonded for a certain time to ensure correct adhesion. I have asked for it to be done soonest so that they might experience any problems before I collect.

Keeping fingers crossed and awaiting 17 June.

Evader

·
Registered
398 Posts
My friend,Search for a glue named MOMENT.
You have two good choices:
Moment Fix Total - can be applied on any surfaces, 15 minutes working time, 24h super strenght but still a little flexible;

Moment Power Fix - one of the surfaces must be porous or not mirror like. 1 minute working time, almost instant strenght.

With one of this, you glue entire car...be careful...is almost impossible to take if off after is glued.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ejohn said:
Can anybody please help with a known and proven cure for better fixing this otherwise pleasing accessory....
and is there any way Forum members could jointly approach Peugeot to get action over such annoying yet shared minor problems that could easily otherwise be long-term individually shrugged off?

Thanks.. great car otherwise

Ha, the blinking carry-on I'm having with this boot sill, I had it fitted from a dealership before I picked up the car, took it to another dealership (more local) when the ends curled up and I scratched the tailgate paint, they blamed the other dealership for not fitting correctly with a Inhibitor kit. Finally after weeks of saying 'not covered' the local dealership are doing it. correctly as they say. This will be a laugh when I bring it in WHEN it curls up again..I will give them merry hell !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks george2014 for the recommendation.... will be searching for a UK supplier and be very careful to get it glued on straight...

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey cbobo Good luck with that one then... but what a total waste of time for us, the paying customers, of such a long established French manufacturer... so where on earth did they get this idea of sticking two extremities up just to annoy the English ?

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is how it looks...Price is around 7-8 USD.
http://www.dedeman.ro/ro/amenajari-interioare/adezivi-spume-silicoane/adezivi-de-montaj/moment-power-fix-250-g-cu-autoaplicare.html
or 2.
http://www.dedeman.ro/ro/amenajari-interioare/adezivi-spume-silicoane/adezivi-de-montaj/moment-total-fix-alb-440-g.html

Also need a mecanic pistol to push the glue at the last one...
http://www.dedeman.ro/ro/amenajari-interioare/adezivi-spume-silicoane/silicoane-etansanti/pistoale-silicon/pistol-pt-silicon-9-30x21-5cm-hf525585.html

I have glued with this MOMENTa storage unit (60kg) on my wall, because i could not drill in it (behind was a glass wall)... And it stays at 2 meters since 2013 :)))) (i have put inside some tools, now the weight is around 100kg)....

So your bumper is...like a firefly :))))))

·
Registered
74 Posts
that is very impressive... with such products around... well - makes you wonder how it gets free of the packaging it comes in..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well folks.... My wife just arrived home and when I looked the bumper protector was sticking up at the edges.
We are taking it in for inspection tomorrow.
I suggested that a brand new car in the school car park held together with gaffer tape wasn't a good advert for them! - Especially when it's the first 2008 in car park and a lot want to have a look at it.
Edited by: Geoffh

·
Registered
162 Posts
Touch wood - mine seems okay now. The garage managed to fix it at the fourth attempt. He said It won't come unstuck now - I promise'. SO not sure what they have done to it! Luckily it was fitted by them so now it has to go back in and fhave the body work repaired FOC as the curled up parts damaged the boot paint.

Pity the same can't be said for the rest of the car. Still have a seemingly unfathomable gearbox issue which it will be going back in for at the start of June. This will be for the fourth time of trying too.

Plus they ballsed up somehow when they did the product safety recall for the wishbone bolts. After they did them the Black One has had really bad understeer - like driving on ice. Took it too my local independent who did a check over for me and the tracking is out - the front wheels tow in by 6.6 degrees. The car is like a dog to drive. I rang the service manager at the dealers and he said they could do it for £34.99!!!! Oh no, I don't think so! It wasn't like it before until THEY did the work so wsomething THEY have done. Eventually (and reluctantly) he agreed an FOC wheel alignment. Should bloody think so too!

Maybe one day I will get the car back to what it was when I first had it - a dream to drive. Because currently I just don't feel comfortable driving it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My local dealer is first class. No messing about... As soon as I phoned them I was asked to take it straight in. They are going to inspect it straight away and If necessary they will replace the protector and to make sure it's bonded correctly keep it in the warm overnight to ensure a satisfactory bond. Excellent service.. Hope it works!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts