Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all 1.2 vti owners

I have 5,000 miles on mine now, like the car and satisfied with the performance and economy, about 50mpg. BUT would like to hear if others find the accelerator take-up in the lower gears a bit aggressive. I am finding you need a feather light touch on the accelerator to ensure a smooth take off particularly when hill starting and even more so when hill starting at a tee junction.

I am too old for jack rabbit starts and traffic light grand prix starts but I often find the car running away and being a 1.2 normally aspirated unit don't expect it. I didn't get to test dive a 2008 1.2 vti prior to order only a 208 1.2 vti and have requested the dealer find me a similar car to test prior to whingeing to the service department. It feels like either the mapping is wrong or the accelerator transducer has some steps missing if that is possible.

Not too many 1.2 vti's out there but hope some might give there opinions please, mine would be a nightmare for a driving school.

Richard G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi RichardG,I have the 1.2 and agree its very punchy off the line. It's quicker than my wifes 1.2 fiat 500! I commented on the test drive, the dealer said its the 3 cylinder engine that gives it the raspy noise (soundsquite sporty)and quick acceleration.
I haven't quite mastered the smooth take-offs either yet, so don't worry, your not alone..

Glad to hear your getting about 50mpg. After 700 miles, mine is only showing 43 average andwasstarting to get a bitdisappointed.Does it get better with time?

Al

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's a side effect of three cylinders where each of the 'pots' are quite large for the overall capacity of the engine, it means making take-offs can be difficult at times; I'm not sure whether the 1.2VTi has contra-rotating balance shafts (it will have something to counter the unnatural balance), but the 'pull' it has at low revs is quite strong, it also means that mid-range pull will be stronger than a 1.2 4-pot.

I'd always take 3-pots over 4 though!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My concern is that it is much more punchy than the 208 1.2vti I tested pre order and yes it does have a balancer shaft (the 1.0 vti does not). For those interested in mpg I get 47 around town on very short journeys and 52 on long runs and it is really good on the hills unlike the small engine Captur I tested here in Devon. I am believer in good fuel and always use Shell nitro.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had a nice 350 mile round trip at the weekend. I must say I'mgetting used to the acceleration now, but it still surprises you sometimes! Had 3 people and fully loaded boot, mainly motorway driving,and got an average of 51mpg for the trip, so quite happy with the mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have noticed the snatchy take up when pulling away. My 1.2VTi also appears to have a flat spot after first clutch contact, over compensating for this has led to some boy racer starts. Does anyone know if adjustments can be made to smooth out the take off.Also has anyone noticed water ingress to the rear door wells. Mine looks like it has a gap in the window rubbers.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
pugman said:
I too have noticed the snatchy take up when pulling away. My 1.2VTi also appears to have a flat spot after first clutch contact, over compensating for this has led to some boy racer starts. Does anyone know if adjustments can be made to smooth out the take off.Also has anyone noticed water ingress to the rear door wells. Mine looks like it has a gap in the window rubbers.
What do you mean by the rear door Wells?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Won't you get water in there naturally, given that the seal is on the inner edge of the door?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Burty

Well my 1.2 vti is now a year old and just has its first service, dealer arranged for a almost new 1.2 vti loan car which although fairly tight showed the same excitable tendencies as my now fully run in does 2008 does.

As Frank eloquently explained there is a sort of urgency about 3 cylinder engines which punch well above there weight but I do feel Peugeot could improve the engine mapping or the electronic accelerator steps to avoid or mask what feels like being between two steps on the range particularly at small throttle openings.

Easing into the garage with a warm engine the RPM sometimes appears to be hunting for the next step on its range. I did check with the service department of my very decent supplier, Truscotts, and no updates are listed.

As a matter of interest we did recently have a one way airport rental of a .9 Renault Cleo and I have to say it was dead in the water compared to the 1.2 vti we have, good job it has a good gear box because had to use it a lot.

·
Registered
540 Posts
RichardG said:
As a matter of interest we did recently have a one way airport rental of a .9 Renault Cleo and I have to say it was dead in the water compared to the 1.2 vti we have, good job it has a good gear box because had to use it a lot.
That's interesting - I've not driven the 1.2VTi but I was slightly turned off by a report in a car magazine comparing the 2008 1.2VTi with a Captur 0.9tce (heavier than the Clio, same engine that you've tried) and they commented the 1.2VTi showed a lack of mid-range pull compared to the Captur - I drove a Captur 0.9tce last autumn and thought it was a fantastic little engine to be honest, perfectly capable of pulling the Captur along but no ball of fire; I'd figured the 1.2VTi in the 2008 would be shown lacking based on the article, especially as being naturally aspirated the 1.2VTi looses out on mid-range torque, if anything I'd think it was the 2008 that needed stirring along on the gears.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Frank

Far from it here in Devon lots of hills and long inclines on the motorways the VTI will hold 5 with no problems where as the Renault just dies. I did test the Captur .9 before we ordered the 2008 and actually prefer it particularley the sliding rear seat but the engine down here was just hopeless. Grab a set of keys to a 1.2vti and try one you will be surprised I certainley was.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I liked the 1.2 vti on my 2008 test drive, I felt the power was either on or off at low gears, but now come to realise it's the characteristics of the 3 pot. It's a great little engine that behaves and sounds a lot bigger than it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts