Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Took delivery of Peugeot 2008 1.2 vti Expression + this week. The salesman was embarrassed to explain that only one key was a remote and if you lock the car with it you cannot use the car with the other key (the alarm will sound and the ignition will lock). Sounds like a crazy cost saving, I can live with that but not with having to plan ahead a locking procedure just in case my wife wants to use the car, is it reasonable ?. I feel both keys should have the same capability and wonder if this is just a software issue or perhaps the manual key does not fully set the alarm and ignition lock. I will post a report on the car when I know it a little better.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'd be amazed if you can't use your non-remote key on each occasion just without the obvious remote function; this is common across PSA at the cheaper end to have a proper key and a 1986-style key, I'd get a proper remote key cut and advise anyone to negotiate one as part of the deal before signing on the dotted line; I know citroen charge £115 for a remote key.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You can use either key. No worries.

Al.

PS: In a previous post:

burty wrote:

I imagine that the spare key still has a chip. The chip will be an RFID passive device that doesn't need a battery.

I reckon it's just a bit tight not supplying two fully functional keys myself. (That said for all the cars we have had we only ever use one of the keys the other is permanently consigned to the drawer so I guess it makes sense).

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Salesmans bad information all is OK have informed the Salesman and he has apologised for the error in his handover and will correct it with the other people. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got my car today and it came with 2 remote keys? Maybe because it is a top spec model but a bit selfish not to give all users 2 sets!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I think that is the situation but I do think the spec of the base model is really very good but they really didn't need to penney pinch on a key but I am thinking of using the manual key and let my wife carry the big bertha key in her handbag. With modern tech. could't they have slimmed it down a little.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree, such a small thing to scrimp on! I also agree that they are HUGE! I will be walking around lop-sided from now on!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I got 2 remote keys when I collected mine yesterday. I think it's ridiculous if they don't provide with all models as standard. And I agree they are massive!Edited by: Didi38

·
Registered
144 Posts
The size of the key is great , I wont be losing this one

I suppose the 2 key issue is based on the model you choose , 2 full remote keys for the higher end versions to go with the other upgrades , that's why it costs thousands more .

we had our last car 12 years with just the 1 remote , no problem . In fact just found the spare in a draw , must have been there years.

In fact we've put our spareremotekey in that same draw as the one remote key suffices,

Grahame

·
Registered
311 Posts
so I understand it you purchased Feline you get two remote keys

If you brought Allure or below you only get one remote key.

[email protected]$terds

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
jinxx80 said:
so I understand it you purchased Feline you get two remote keys

If you brought Allure or below you only get one remote key.

[email protected]$terds

...so if you see a guy with a bulge in one pocket he's got an Allure; if he has a bulge in both pockets he's either got a Feline or has an Allure and is also pleased to see you?

Al.

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have a VW Tiguan as well as the 2008 Allure. Everything I paid for as an extra is standard on the Pug. So I was surprised, to put it politely, that we only got one remote with the Pug and VW supplied two with the Tig. On the positive side, if I take the Tig when I go fishing, and fall in, I can't drive home as the remote is trashed. Whereas if I take the Pug with the "poverty key" as I call it and fall in, I can drive home fine.
Just trying to look at the positives!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
There's no way you can get back in the Pug dripping wet!!!

Posh key or Poverty key you're going to have walk!!

Al.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mmmmm. Thanks for reminding me Al. SWMBO would kill me if I got into the Pug dripping wet. So it looks as if I'll have to make sure I don't fall in or remember to take my bus pass! Edited by: Geoffh

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
This has made me think back some years to 1966.

I'd taken my dad and recently acquired father-in-law out for the day to go fishing.

I was fishing in the canal but my 'dads' were using a private lake which was over the bank and then down the other side to a much lower area.

It was about 9 metres lower.

I thought I would negotiate the steep slope, rather than walking along to the steps, and see how they were doing.

Unfortunately it had rained heavily the previous night and I lost my footing and skidded on my front all the way down.

My F-in-Law said my nose was acting like a snow plough all the way down.

My back was completely clean but my front.......

I had to drive us all home but as it was only my front that got the mud, the car didn't suffer.

They, of course, were in fits of laughter as were our better halves when we arrived home!

Ah, the joys of fishing.

Al.

....and why is it that the person along the bank seems to be catching all the fish......and if you swap places they start catching them again where you were!

·
Registered
112 Posts
All that has been said is correct, however I can add the following.2008 pugs fitted with alarms come with two remote keys, whether these are top spec, or lower spec with the alarm option added.

ie if you have 1 remote plip and one small RF only key, you do not have an alarm fitted, only the immobiliser.

I am considering a second remote, If only to avoid possible door scratches from using the RF key.
£150 ish from Pug, less from a locksmith, note all keys required by the locksmith, and the vehicle so that the onboard can be reprogrammed accordingly.
(I can confirm that the RF key does work, in both doors, and also it works even if double locking has been enabled).

We always carry two keys one for each of myself and my wife, this allows access should we return separately. And gives safety if one key got lost. it makes sense to me anyway.
Trust the above helps others.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, the second plip key comes on the Feline only courtesy of its standard alarm.

I was surprised when I first read it in the price list as despite all the goodies, it seems that Peugeot are still capable of a bit of 1986 levels of specification.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The Allure also has an alarm but not with the internal ultrasonic system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts