Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused as to what to do.
I am thinking of changing to a 1.6 petrol engine with conventional automatic gearbox. This is because almost all of our journeys are just a couple of miles and at the moment we use the 12 year old 206 a majority of the time.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Our 2008 therefore has only done 2800 miles since new and spends most of its time being waxed or just sitting in its garage.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I'd like to know from an existing petrol auto model owner what they think about the driving comfort/petrol consumption etc, and whether they think it worth going for the current model now or holding back and waiting for the new 3 cylinder with 6 speed auto that's due out in 9 or 12 months time.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I'll get a better price for my present 2008 now compared to 9 or 12 months time but the new engine will be better on MPG and probably free of RFL.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">I'm thinking though that the saving on the current value will vastly outweigh the better MPG and RFL savings if I wait.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
21 Posts
I know I'm new, but here's my tuppence worth.

Personally the cost of transferring is always going to be greater than the improved mpg and RFL will save. Only way to be sure of course is to tootle down to the dealer and crucnh the njumbers, then you can decide.

Saying that, it's not just about about money though is it? The cheapest option would be to carry on as you are, but I appreciate the frustration of driving around in the 206 wit h the new posh motor parked up indoors!

So basically you need to decide if you want to change for economy (not worth it) or because you want to change so you can drive your new car (in which case, get down to the delaer and crunch the numbers!).

Putting it into context, we just chopped in our '56 Rav4 2.2 diesel. We put about 20k miles a year on it, it was on 96,000 at trade in and despite the £200 RFL and the 40mpg, it still would have been cheaper to keep it than swap out for the 2008. But the wife wanted a newer car. And chopping it in now gave a good trade in, whereas next year when it's on 115k and is 9 years old? I'm not so sure.

Edited by: Shindig

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes; the cost....well I saw the Sales Manager back in June and for exactly the same spec, but with the Petrol Auto, it would have cost me £3400 and I would have taken delivery end Sept.

I thought at the time that it was better to wait but just recently I've been thinking that the 2008 will just be in the garage for most of the Winter months with the occasional trip over to Peterborough so my mind started thinking about depreciation.

I know that it's a costly business changing cars and after more deliberation I think I'll wait for the new version as I've already had the initial depreciation whack in the first 12 months so another 9 months or so won't be so much worse in the wallet!

·
Registered
540 Posts
My thoughts are the same as when you last mentioned it - keep the HDi EGC for now and use it. Really, really don't worry about the DPF on short journeys, I think there's too much heed paid to Internet worry stories on the subject; as noted before, our DS4 (and for 9 months the C4 Picasso that preceded it) only does 2 miles each way on Mrs FB's commute and for a few weeks at a time this is all it would do (plus biffing about to get shopping, take FB junior to swimming etc.) but neither car had or has (touch wood...) an issue with the use; clearly we do use them for longer trips, typically holidays and to see our parents (80 miles to Mrs FB's folks in Solihull, 200 to mine near Middlesborough) but these are rare. Ultimately, if the DPF warning light comes on, go out for a long sightseeing trip; once it's cleared you are good to go again. Very rarely did people on the C4 forum have issues with DPF's until they get to 100k at which point replacement is required. I think if you don't use your car that's a shame.

If your general mileage is low, I wouldn't worry about the economy of the 1.6VTi auto. Also, being an older generation 4-speed they are very reliable, I don't think this 'box has any issues at all. However, your car has done the bulk of its depreciation already, in another 12 months it won't have lost another £3,400 at which point you can do more 'man maths' to justify the 1.2 THP Puretech 6 speed auto.

Use your car!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Frank; yes, what you say is correct and it is the way I will go.

I remembered that I decided to wait before but it was just the point of 'leaving it in the garage over winter' that seemed a waste.

MrsT can still use her 206 for collecting the granddaughters from school and for her shopping at Tesco.

I do like the thought though that the existing 1.6 petrol engine and auto box are 'tried and tested' but it does make sense to to wait as there is the additional saving of RFL and MPG to include with the new engine.

At our age though I never know whether I have another 20 years or 20 minutes to go!

I waxed the 206 yesterday and it came up like new with an almost glass coating over it. Did the tyres, wheels and black trim as well. Really gave it a going over. Knackered me though.

Happy days. Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I was actually fishing for was comments from existing owners of the 1.6 petrol with the auto box as I thought I'd also take what they say about the performance etc into consideration.

Now I mentioned I had a good go over the 206; well here's a snapshot I've just taken:

Not bad considering it's now heading towards 13 years old.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No point in having a car and not using it!

As you are thinking of replacing yours at some point then I wouldn't worry about some winter salt and grime, as your car has polish in its an easy clean-up anyway, it's not like the old days when cars would rust after a winters worth of salt! Also, if you have any issues with your car it will be under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good point.

Just changed our airport parking from KV02 FZS to 40 ALT.

May as well travel in style.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The 206 looks great - is that Diablo Red?

Stick out for the 6-speed 1.2THP Puretech - they might have brought it out by the time we replace the DS4!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diablo Red, that sounds familiar.

Yes, I'm going to wait. The dealer will ring me as soon as he gets info.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I don't really understand why you don't use your 2008. I appreciate that it is diesel. But I think your concerns with the DPF filter are likely to be unfounded.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, but not for collecting the girls and Tesco.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used to be in the trade. We used to love customers like you who wanted to part ex ther car with about two months mileage on the clock...... We had ready buyers who wanted a car which was virtually new..... And we made a lot of money out of the deal!
Seriously though..... Drivers are getting paranoid about the DPF. It probably doesn't feel right, but occasionally "give it some welly"! Your mileage is so low, you won't have to do it very often.
You will have lost 20% VAT plus depreciation on yours, so if it's running well, which it should, just enjoy it and save your hard earned cash.
However, now it's in your mind, you'll probably change it within the next six months!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Frank Bullitt said:

Stick out for the 6-speed 1.2THP Puretech - they might have brought it out by the time we replace the DS4!

We may get some news from the Paris motor show on this :) well hoping anyway :)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I'm going to do though is cause myself more problems.......do I stick with Bianca White...or choose Amber Red....or maybe Nimbus Grey.....Oh my goodness so many things...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Frank Bullitt said:

Looks like it will be Summer for the 130 PS. taken from honest John;

<div ="itemDate" style="text-align: left; font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 0.5em; color: rgb67, 67, 67; font-size: 13px; line-height: 15px;">October 2014 ::peugeot 2008 gets new 1.2 130PS 'Puretech' turbo petrol engine in Summer 2015 in the UK, not February 2015 as first expected.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/peugeot/2008-2013/?section=history
Frank, what other automaticcontenders would yourecommend which high MPG and low emissions, new or second hand?

·
Registered
540 Posts
That doesn't surprise me at all - the Q4 update for the 2008 still hasn't been released yet even though prices hve increased over the range.

If you want true longevity then this is invariably incompatible with low CO2/ high mpg; the obvious candidate is the VAG (VW, Skoda, SEAT, Audi) DSG twin clutch gearbox; economy is comparable to the manual, they are clever but not as smooth as a traditional slusher and the episodes of them expiring in a stealing pile of cogs and bolts are, frankly, scary. Good on fuel, bad for a £3k bill at 60k+. I've driven a few DSG Audi's over the years and I don't like the 'box. Renault hve a DSG-type gearbox in the Captur with the 1.2 turbo (EDC), worth a look but may prove equally unreliable; Ford do a Powershift in some models which is a also a twin clutch box. There is PSA and fiat who do the automated manual but on the 2008 this is either on the 1.2 Puretech or 1.6e-HDi, reliability issues persist but they seem to operate well.

Then you have the less economical (and therefore higher CO2) traditional slushers such as the 2008 1.6VTi auto; not as clever or economical but bomb-proof (£3k DSG repair buys an awful lot of fuel!). The Japanese tend to do traditional slushers too. If you like the 2008 then get one to be honest. The third option is the 'CVT' transmission which tends to be fairly close to manual models for economy and more reliable than twin clutch set-ups; the Honda Jazz has the CVT (which is basically two large cones with a steel belt moving along them to give, in theory, infinitely variable gearing); some people find them odd as they give the sensation of being a huge slipping clutch; when you accelerate the revs climb to 4-6000rpm and the car then catches up. I've had this in a few Audi's and despite the suggestion that there give manual like performance I hve always found them awfully slow compared to manual models with the same engine.

By the day I get more and more pleased the 2008 doesn't get the 1.2 Puretech blown engine as it means we made the right decision going for the DS4 but then part of me is slightly confused by Peugeot bringing out a great new car then larruping the ball into their own goal; the tests of the C4 Cactus with the 1.2 110bhp Puretech have nothing but praise for the engine. It beggars belief why Peugeot are scratching their backsides on this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@Frank,

You mentioned in the first paragraph that prices have increase over the range, and I assume you are talking about the 2008 here? is that something which has happened over the last few weeks, or are you referring to the July ones?

Thanks!

Edited by: Montala

·
Registered
540 Posts
Last few weeks - the 1.2 Puretech Access+ has increased, for example, from £12,995 to £13,195 - the price list you can download is still the July one citing £12,995 but the 2008 page (and configurator) have both been updated.

It's largely immaterial though as the discounts through Broadspeed simply get bigger by the month!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks Frank.

That is actually the very model I will be picking up on Friday from a local Peugeot main dealer, so I just hope they don't want to charge me another £200 for it!

Might they try and do that though?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts