Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the law changed recently?
We have booster seats (booster cushions) for our granddaughters aged 4 and 7.

The 4 year-old weighs 15Kg.

We only use the boosters for the school run or the odd local journey to the shops.

Today though our neighbour pointed out they are now illegal and if we were to be involved in an accident where the girls sustained an injury then the Police would prosecute the driver.

Evidently they must be a 'high back' and have a built in proper harness over both sholders and across the lap with a central clasp.

We obviously want to keep our girls safe and the booster seats we use are easy for us to transfer from car to car or remove if we need to use more space for people or goods.

I am though worried that we may cause our girls injury by not using a high back booster seat with side protection.

Can anyone confirm the current position regarding the law but most importantly can anyone recommend a good easy to fit high back booster seat for their protection?

Some I've looked at are around £150 each and some are £50 each with some as low as £20 each.

The lower cost ones though don't appear to have the full harness hence my need to check the current legal situation.

This one looks pretty good, safeand at a reasonable cost:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graco-Assure-Group-Car-Seat/dp/B00AF7IVG8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1450168860&sr=8-7&keywords=high+back+car+booster+seats

I did think of Britax but their 'Adventure' seat doesn't seem to be very 'wear-proof'. Other decent Britax booster seats seem very costly, especiallywhen buying two.

NB: This one is lighter, so it would be easier for us to change and shows it will still give better protection than the current boosters:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RGCMD96?psc=1

I ignored the negative reviews as they are referring to 'Disney' and I feel these are for the Disney booster cushion. I wish people wouldn't 'link' their reviews as they crop up on wrong products!!

PS: I've found this recent information that would indicate my neighbour was not completely factual regarding the full built-in harness once a child is 15Kg:

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seat

...and this is RoSPA:

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing-using/

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I've just been down to Halfords and they have the booster cushion on sale and they are all clearly labelled by the manufacturer as age 4 - 12 yearsand 15 - 36 Kg.
I queried this with an assistant and she said they wouldn't sell them if they were illegal but said she would check things further.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Your neighbour is wrong, plain and simple.

From memory we stopped using the 'proper' child seat with FB junior when he was about 3 1/2 and removed the back to make the booster when he was about 5 1/2, so unless your 4 year old grand daughter is extremely small for her age, she will be fine with the booster and backrest.

There are web sites that are quite alarmist and would suggest kids should be rear-facing and on a harness until they are legally able to drink, I suspect your neighbour has been looking at this!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was a policeman who lives near her.
I also think she's passing on incorrect information but thi section does seem to indicate that 22Kg weight has to be attained to sit on a booster 'cushion'. That is the type we are currently using.
This section seems to indicate that if we use a booster seat with a back, together with the cars seatbelt, then the full harness typeis not required. 15Kg to 36Kg:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes that's right - to use a booster on its own, the child needs to be 22kg minimum; if they are not 22kg then a 'booster and backrest' set-up that uses the car belt is required, below 15kg a seat with an integrated belt is required and under 9kg it has to be a baby carrier that's rearward facing. There are further upper limits as ostensibly the child can get too big for a certain seat type, I'd like to see somebody get a 25kg child into a rear-facing carrier, mind!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...and Halfords (+ many other retailers) are selling these booster cushions as suitable for a 4-12 year-old.
I doubtwhetherthere are many22Kg 4 year-olds about!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right then; as No1 granddaughter is 18KG (7years old)and No2 is 15KG (4 years old)I've ordered 2 of these from Argos.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9020706.htm

They seem to have the best price and I can collect for free later today from their new Argos inHomebase store here in Rugby.

Good thing with this seatis that, when they reach 22KG, I can remove the back and they convert into a booster cushion.

Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
540 Posts
FB junior has one of these and we did exactly that, took the back off when he was old enough (5 1/2 in his case), he isn't a chunky monkey but you know when you've lifted him up! Solid, like his old man!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good choice Al, my Daughter had this seat and said that it was very comfortable. We only got rid of the final base section this summer (age 10, 150cm tall but she liked the extra visibility it gave her).

All I will say is be careful if the cup holders are used to temporarily store any 'treasure' (badges, bracelets, coins, key rings etc.). If the seat is tipped (for example if you are taking it out of the car) then said treasure can easily drop into the main body of the seat, never to be seen again. You have been warned (there might be tears!).....

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, right. thank's for that tip Kate.
Al.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts