Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my car for a few weeks and whilst I've polished and waxed it, I've still managed to get a chip in the paintwork near the front number plate
(lots of the roads around here have been surface dressed lately).

Can I buy something (like a paint pen?) from the dealership to try a DIY fix or should I think about a professional treatment? If I go down the route of the latter option then what sort of cost would I be looking at please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
....oh dear. Sorry to hear that Kate.
You can certainly get a touch-in paint from your dealer (or Halfords)....but don't use the integral brush to apply it.

Take a toothpick* and apply the smallest drop of the paintto the chip. Let it dry and then apply another tiny drop etc. etc.

Gradually thatwill fetch the level upjust belowthe surrounding paint.

Apply some of the clear lacquer that comes with the touch-in paint to top it off.

Let it dry thoroughly then apply your polish/wax.

*...or fine tipped artist brush or sharpened matchstick.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice Allan.

I've managed to add a photo. The paint hasn't come off as such, it looks to have lifted. Do the same instructions apply?

Sorry to be a pain!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Kate,

Looking at the photo that's a little more than a chip unfortunately.

<ul>[*]Firstly how big is it, size of a 5p smaller/bigger.
[*]Either way, I don't think Allan's excellent instructions, which are exactly what the "Smart Repairers" would do. Will help in this case.
[*]From the photo and as you say, it looks like the paint has completely lifted from the bumper. This could only happen if it wasn't bonded correctly in the first place.
[*]In my opinion I would ask a local company close to you such as
[/list] http://www.bodyworkpros.co.uk/car-scratch-repairs/retford/nottinghamshire/

Who seem like a good outfit to take a look and give you a cost. It might be that there is a problem with the paint finish from the factory, but its hard to tell from the photo alone, but either way the Retford boys should be able to advise you and help you.

SMART is an acronym. It means
Small toMediumArea Repair Technique

Hope this helps

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Kate. Yes, as Tone says, it's a little more than a 'chip' and it could be that the Pearlescent White paint hasn't adhered properly during manufacture.
I would take a trip to your dealer first as it could be a warranty claim.
If it isn't, then their 'man on the ground' may be able to repair it. You have to be extra careful with the pearlescent paint as seamless matching is very difficult.

Good luck.

Al.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both, I'll make an appointment at the dealership as I have a bit of a list of minor issues.

Just out of interest, does the back number plate sit flat against the car for everybody else? Mine is slightly bowed - you can press the middle in and it simply springs back out. The yellow cap covering one of the screws has gone (I'm guessing due to pressure but it might have simply fallen off). It is also on my list but I don't know if I'm being a drama queen about it?!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My rear number plate did but I removed it and drilled the holes in the plateafraction larger and put some double sided tape in the centre.
Your little domed caps have probably been ripped off by the friendly car wash you use!!

I used a different type of number plate screw to re-fix it. They have a moulded head so no little cap to go missing.

<a href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=screw+head+yellow+number+plate+screws&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xmoulded+head+yellow+number+plate+screws.TRS0&_nkw=moulded+head+yellow+number+plate+screws&_sacat=0" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Moulded
head number plate screws
</a>

PS: You only need the short variety 3/4" (19mm).

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have you know Al that my car hasn't been near a car wash yet... I bought some wonderful spray on stuff made by Meguiars which cleans and waxes the car without water (ie no frizzy hair
). Yes, I can see that you are rolling your eyes....

I'll ask for a replacement yellow cap when I go to the dealership and live with the number plate if it is "normal". I would rather they paid attention to my not-a-chip-chip. It is smaller than a 5p by the way, it looks worse in the photo than in real life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts