Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

I have a manual 1.4 diesel 2008. Bought the one owner car with 12k on the clock and now it has done 18k. Yesterday I noticed mild clutch slip under average acceleration on inclines. As an ex service advisor in the motor industry I know I don't have a leg to stand on with regards warranty ect. car booked into local dealer next Wednesday. Just hope I don't get the patronising talk about my driving style ect. Has anybody had this problem on a low millage car ? Are there any issues with oil leaks affecting the clutch ? Maybe my car was previously owned by an clutch slipping maniac...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your slipping clutch, I cringe every time I'm at traffic lights seeing the car in front in gear edging forward, no handbrake applied & foot on brake pedal, that poor clutch bearing & stop light bulbs!!.

It is usually the clutch plates that cause the slipping, hence on an ageing clutch or as you say contamination or worn (shiny) friction surfaces, probably the previous owner has been 'riding the clutch', you should get 50,000 miles plus out of it, that is driven normally, but please post what the dealer concludes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Yorky. I have just returned from the dealer ( nearly in tears ) after the car was taken for a road test. Replacement clutch including VAT £714.76. Service advisor was OK, not a great deal of empathy though , I was told they would obviously check for substandard parts/ oil leaks ect to see if I have any warranty claim. Its a small but main dealer, told clutch may not be here until next week ! I was interested to see the comment from somebody with only 16K on the clock also having clutch slip. I will used the softly softly approach, but I want to see the old assembly when removed and if health and safety allows, I want to see the state of things with the box out, car up on the ramp. Will keep you posted !

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Gary,

Eye watering!!

Please let us know the results, good idea to insist in seeing the parts, will be interesting to what the verdict is.
I wonder how many have had clutch slip on a low mileage car and never questioned it!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
gw68 said:
Price breakdown = Labour £421.60 = Parts £174.04 = VAT £119.12
Can you not source the parts yourself and get an independent mechanic/garage to fit?. A quick Google search found a 2014 Allure 1.6 e-HDi (my car) clutch kit for £165 at Halfords. There are loads of other options at other suppliers but you need to add your details to get an accurate parts price. I'm sure you could get someone to fit your clutch for less than £550 without invalidating your warranty as I think it's ok as long as you use genuine Peugeot parts and who fits them should be irrelevant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
Have a 20 month old 2008 with 23000 miles on clock and a slipping clutch Have booked in with dealer where purchased to check and repair hopefully u der warranty as I have been the sole driver from new and do not rixe the clutch Will see how it gurns out after Wednesday

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hope you get your cars sorted GW68 and henry. Surely clutches shouldn't be slipping at that those kind of mileages. Our last car had nearly 114,000 miles on the clock and the clutch was original. I also used to own an old Volvo which had done nearly 265,000 and that had the original clutch in it. 12k and 23k is no kind of mileage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with First Pug, these clutch assemblies should be lasting much longer than the above mileages. It appears to be diesel cars so could this be the key; higher torque exacerbating the issue. Surely the clutch used should be a tad more heavy duty for diesels than petrol motors with their lower pulling power. I hope Peugeot have not gone down the penny pinching route and use one type for all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all
Good news from a finance point as dealer has found a defective pressure plate so repair is under warranty Back to happy motoring [;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's great news
Lets hope that if it turns out to be a common fault, others get their clutches changed under warranty as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good news Henry, is your car a diesel?

Interesting to know if it was a 'colllapsed' plate or a spring problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My experience with oil contaminated clutches is one of nasty 'snatching' certainly not slipping.
Genuine part fails replace with genuine part because they are superior??
Great to hear you're covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi yes the car is a 1.4 diesel and feeling great after service and repair Dont know exactly what problem was other than told a defective pressure plate
Happy motoring everyone

·
Registered
222 Posts
At least your a happy chappy now Henry!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts