Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone else had a problem with the coolant temperature sensor. After about 5 minutes driving the other day, with the outside temperature around 1C, the water temperature gauge went off the scale and the stop light came on. I knew it could not have overheated in those conditions. By the time I had found somewhere to safely stop the light had gone out and the temperature returned to normal. The very same thing happened to my girlfriend's father who also has a 2008 and it was the temperature sensor that had failed.
I called the nearest Peugeot dealer that same day, and they said that if the stop light was now working, they would not be able to diagnose a problem, They said to call back if it happens again. Over the past couple of days the stop light has not come on but the temp gauge is going up and down, from high to low and back again. These are the same symptoms the other 2008 had before its sensor failed.
I will call the dealer again today.

cheers from a cold and snowy Scotland
D

Edited by: Deckers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am not an expert but the ECU should store the codes for them to diagnose. Take a pic if its safe to do so next time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all fixed now.

I took the car to Barnetts in Dundee and they diagnosed a faulty temperature sensor. The stop light lit up on the way, so it was not just a one off fault. Also the temperature gauge was going up and down all weekend before the car was getting hard to start.
They needed to order the new part and on Friday it was fitted,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just had mine replaced - I was experiencing very strange noises from the footwell when starting first thing in the morning when cold. Diagnostic codes revealed that coolant temp sensor had failed, which causes a load of other related components to flick to a default mode. As mind was causing the engine to appear colder than reality, this was also causing overfueling of the engine.

This apparently is a common problem and many sensors have failed - so much so there is a new version of the sensor which is more reliable.

This is all according to the Service Manager for my dealer here in New Zealand....

Edited by: Kiwi2008

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2008 is now working fine with the new sensor.

Now my problem is a cracked windscreen. There is a 30 cm from the top edge of the screen down and then left towards the light sensor. It was only noticed when parked, so I don't know what happened.

Autoglass are coming to fit a new windscreen on Monday, at a cost of £60.00 excess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts