Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

6 month old 1.4 Allure here.

I've been getting a severe crackling sound from the drivers footwell when setting off from cold, early morning. It stops if I take my foot off the accelerator and immediately restarts when I press again.

Slow speeds - up to about 40-50mph.

Lasts about 2-3 minutes then fades.

I've tried recording it on my phone, but it just picks up the road noise, so I can't reproduce it for the dealer to know what to look for.

Any ideas what it could be or anyone had a similar issue?

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
273 Posts
Don't really know but the throttle pedal on all modern cars including the 2008 are not physically connected to the fuel system but consist of a variable resistor which of course carries an electrical current. Could this be the source of your noise. ie. sparking within the switch possibly due to damp.. Just an idea

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pilot - its actually a good start. Sometimes it does indeed sound like an electrical crackling and since the sound stops as soon as pressure on the pedal is released, I suspect you've nailed it.

I live in a small valley and mornings tend to be quite damp, and we're just coming out of winter, although you would expect a modern car to be able to cope with most conditions - so I'll drop by the dealers and ask them to
swapout that part.

Cheers!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Let us know if that sorts it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got the car in for a service - holidays, Christmas, etc and they replaced the coolant temp sensor. It was apparantly underreading the temp and so when the car was cold, the EQC thought it was VERY cold and was over fuelling causing the crackling noise and erratic performance.

There is an earlier version of the sensor which they have replaced with a new version (the old one had a high failure rate).

So far no return of irritating crackling noise.

Although despite being serviced, the low oil warning is now showing

Still love this car though!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Kiwi2008 said:
Finally got the car in for a service - holidays, Christmas, etc and they replaced the coolant temp sensor. It was apparantly underreading the temp and so when the car was cold, the EQC thought it was VERY cold and was over fuelling causing the crackling noise and erratic performance.

There is an earlier version of the sensor which they have replaced with a new version (the old one had a high failure rate).

So far no return of irritating crackling noise.

Although despite being serviced, the low oil warning is now showing

Still love this car though!

Good news.

Have you checked the oil level the old fashioned way?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts