Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1.6 92bhp with ECG box. I previously had a 3008 with the same gearbox. Since new, I have done some 3500 miles now, the car sometimes creeps on tick overboth in forward and reverse. In other words it moves with no input from me at all. It doesn't always do thiswhich makes it all the more disconcerting.I know that many conventional automatics do this but my previous car certainly did not. The vehicle is leased so I will not have any costs associated with this but it seems to me that if the clutches are permanently engaged there could be a problem with wear. Does anyone else have the same condition?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think you should get any 'creep' with the EGC system.

Could it could be, as you say, that the clutch is not opening enough to allow the plate to be clear of the engine drive?

There is a demo here of the Electronic Gearbox Control. It will be a similar system in the 2008 except the one demonstrated is a 'dual clutch' and ours I was told is a single clutch.

Electronic Gearbox Control explained

The presenter mentions that his demo has 'Neutral Idle'. I don't think ours has that function though.

This is the Ford system that is demonstrated.

NB: I guess there may be some 'creepage' if you don't have the foot/handbrake applied as it will be anticipating a rise in revs to move forward and the clutch will be in a state of readiness, rather like slightly lifting your foot off the clutch pedal in a manual car.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 1.2 egc which I have reluctantly given up on and will be swapping this week for a manual model. My reason for doing so is I get a clacking noise every time the car comes to a halt and changes down - from 2nd to 1st in particular. I've been told this is characteristic of egc but other owners don't seem to have the same problem.

The reason for my post is that my car does the 'creep' thing sometimes but only when the road is dead flat. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere it shouldn't do this in the way a conventional auto does. Allan suggested my clacking may be down to the clutch not opening fully and I notice this comes up again in his response in this thread. I know nothing about what goes on under the bonnet of a car but it sounds to me like there is common ground here? Out of interest do you hear any noises on change down?

I hope you manage to sort it out

·
Registered
540 Posts
The EGC and the Ford Powershift aren't really comparable - EGC is a manual gearbox that's been 'robotised' with an automated clutch; it still has a dry single plate; Powershift is Fords dual clutch box which is similar to VAG's DSG OR Renault's EDC systems. With the EGC creep can be built in but this is essentially getting the clutch to slip; in my experience this is actuated on the flat only and is generally as a result of the brake pedal releasing and an inclinometer ascertaining the car is indeed on the flat otherwise the clutch would be destroyed in no time; a traditional torque converter does this via a series if helectical gears that are not remotely damaged by 'drag'.

The auto in the 1.6VTi is a traditional slusher, not sure on the 6-speed box that will be fitted to the e-THP models.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Thank's for the info, Frank.

I was told it was the standard 6 speed box but always had a doubt at the back of my mind.

Now you've confirmed it I'll continue to remind my wife to move the gear stick into neutral when waiting if the Stop/Start doesn't cut the engine.

There are several times this can happen, like the battery getting low or when the air-con is on and it's a hot day etc.

No worries if the engine stops as there's nothing spinning to wear or overheat but if the stop/start override cuts in or you use the button to de-select 'eco mode', then it's the same as leaving a manual car in gear with your foot on the clutch.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, resting in gear is like sitting with your foot on the clutch in a manual - however I don't think premature wear is particularly an issue on these EGS/ EGC, rather the output shaft bearing failing which needs the whole lot replacing anyway (this is more of a time bomb!)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank-you for your input folks. I still really don't know how common this is. I start the car in N as you have to do. I then move the stick either to Forward or Reverse and away she goes without throttle input.. This is not the same as stopping and holding the clutch down whilst in gear. I really believe that some reprogramming is required as I cannot believe that this is right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine did not creep before they took gearbox out and in twice it does now but waiting for new gearbox so dont know what it will do after.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My EGC have no 'creeps' inside :)))If I press the brake, it is not moving...when brake pedal is up, start moving almost instantly if flat ground...if is on hill, the hill assist is blocking me for 2 seconds and i hear the brakes decoupling.
The noise made by shifting is a small "clank" that is normal, as the robotized is not DSG ! Think that you have a small chinese man that is shifting instead of you :)))
The 2 cluntches(up and down) make that noise as is mechanical noise...so is normal to "hear" the shifting, coupling and decoupling the gear...
Is not normal to hear noises when you drive, and the gear is not changing (usually upper than 50mph,should be in 6th gear and you can hear if is noisy)...this require a visit to Peugeot doctor :)

I have experienced on almost flat ground some delays in starting to move forward (the car was sliping back), but only if i accelerate very very easy (I think is coupling the gear like you half press the shifting pedal)...this is instantly corrected if you press the accecleration a little harder - couple the 1st gear instantly.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes my new 2008 creeps as soon as I take foot off brake. I have Smart car with same ecg system and it does not creep. I thought it unusual but guess I just get used to it and its normal.
I also see when handbrake is on stop start doesnt work and car ticks over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts