Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had my car for several weeks before realising it had cruise control. The reason being that the cruise control stalk is completely obscured by the steering wheel! I can't see it at all!

Does everyone use it by touch alone? if so has this caused anyone a problem? I could have a go at this, but could do with being able to se it for the first few times I use it so I can get used to it.

I have never used it, having had the car for 6 months now!

Are you all using it?

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is my first car with cruise control, it's actually really easy to use and you do not need to actually see it as anything you touch on the stalk is indicated in the dash.

Get to the required speed, turn the dial down I think from memory it will say cruise control paused....then just press one of the buttons on the back of the stalk (top one) and the dash will light up green and say activated or something like that.

Thats it, when you accelerate say for overtaking the set speed will flash then when you get past the car take your foot off the pedals and it will reduce down to the set speed.

If you touch the brake obviously this pauses cruise control. Just press the button on the end of the stalk to reactivate again.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree with you that the lever is out of sight but that hasn't been much of a problem because I somehow manage to feel my way along the various button presses.

I'm hoping to give it a good bash soon when I will be taking the 2008 overland. I've tried it out a few times already but distances I normally travel are simply too short for cruise control.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I think 'cruise control' is probably the biggest waste of time on any car as there's far too much traffic these days.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I find I use cruise control in quiet villages (30mph) and on lengthy restricted, but quiet, roads. I also use it for short spells if my foot gets stiff and I need to waggle it about a bit!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Cruise control is excellent for those long 50mph roadwork stretches with the average speed cameras. It's also more economical. (And I do a lot of them).

As Spinneruk states, just scroll the scroll wheel down one and push the upper button on the back of the stalk, then click the buttons up or down to set the speed. A long press on the button gives a 5mph increase/decrease in speed.

It took me a while to get it right but it's second nature now.

It took me a while to work out how to use or set the speed limiter. This could be useful in the right situation. It can be 'broken' with a press of the pedal to the 'kickdown' position which is good to know if you need it.

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
540 Posts
allan40alt said:
I think 'cruise control' is probably the biggest waste of time on any car as there's far too much traffic these days. 
I use cruise control all the time, I suspect it's on for 70% of my driving; the stalk on the 2008 behind the wheel is less intuitive than on the Picasso (the buttons are on the wheel) but I'd always have the roller wheel set to 'cruise' then just tap the '+' or '-' button to set and either pause or brake to slow down depending on of I needed to break it not

Cruise is one of my 'must have's'

In 2006 I hired a 308 from Lyon airport and set the cruise at 50 km/h but it wouldn't work - all confused I joined an autoroute slip road and suddenly realised I'd set the 'speed limit' option - after the brown trouser moment of having trucks rumbling past the slip road doing twice my speed I remembered its function could be overcome at full-throttle. I now know the difference between 'limit' and 'cruise' in French, plus the benefits of a clean spare pare of pants!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Ah, yes, good point.

I'd forgotten about lane speed restrictions through roadworks.

It is very good for that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the 50mph stretch with average speed cameras, on the M62, was what set me thinking sbout the cruise control last weekend. I didn't want to press any buttons whilst moving, without knowing what I was doing!

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go next time I'm out,

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like having the options of cruse and limit. My previous car had the same (C3 Picasso) as the 2008, so it was easy for us. It's an option I would not like to go without now, especially like others have said traveling along roadworks and long motorway journeys. You'll soon get the hang of the stalk and you can program some speeds for quick reference on the limiter. The display on the dash also helps when selecting the speeds so you can always see what you are doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just tire dit on a journey up to the Lakes on the quiet bit of the M6 - worked brilliantly. SpinnerUK's advice was correct, once you know how to use it you don't need to be able to see it. Just turn the dial down and it says 'Cruise Control Paused' then touch either button to set the speed at you current speed of travel, simple.

Unfortunately I now have to get used to my wife laughing at me for playing with it ("new boys toy" etc etc !!)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Chopper said:
Just tire dit on a journey up to the Lakes on the quiet bit of the M6 - worked brilliantly. SpinnerUK's advice was correct, once you know how to use it you don't need to be able to see it. Just turn the dial down and it says 'Cruise Control Paused' then touch either button to set the speed at you current speed of travel, simple.

Unfortunately I now have to get used to my wife laughing at me for playing with it ("new boys toy" etc etc !!)

I second that. I've been overland with the car and nothing beats doing a couple of 100 kms at 105km/hr. It ran like a charm. What I particularly like is that when overtaking cruise control does not disable -- as you may appreciate this is my first cruise control so I don't know if this is standard behavior.

·
Registered
217 Posts
use the stalk by touch only dead easy same as my previous car and caused me no real problems the only problem i have (and it's not really a problem just an ocd thing) when i ask for a speed more often than not it will settle 1 mph lower than ive asked for on the centre lcd gauge. my old car only had dials so it didnt bother me because you couldnt tell but because this car has a digital read out it annoys me a little when i tell it i want 60 or 70 and it indicates 59 or 69 but when i move it up by 1 mph it goes to 61 or 71 lol its petty and i know its all part of the tolerance built into the system to save fuel but it's an odd number!! how can i possibly travel in cruise control in an odd number haha!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
chribonn said:
Chopper said:

I second that. I've been overland with the car and nothing beats doing a couple of 100 kms at 105km/hr. It ran like a charm.  What I particularly like is that when overtaking cruise control does not disable -- as you may appreciate this is my first cruise control so I don't know if this is standard behavior.
Yes, there is only a switch on the clutch (when a car has one) and brake so accelerating doesn't disengage the cruise control - all systems are like this

·
Registered
101 Posts
Jonny I have the same OCD problem as you, hate it being 1mph lower than an even number! I have found if you tap slightly on the accelerator to speed up it settles back to the actual number you set it at and then I am happy! :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
allan40alt said:

I would agree that on most days daily travel is behind other vehicles but if you are covering a considerable distance on highways or secondary roads it is something that is very useful.

I (now) will want to have as standard unless my next vehicle will be one of those
driver-lessvehicles
Googleis testing

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I covered nearly 300 miles yesterday on relatively quiet motorways including the M25 and M1. I imagine that 90% of that was with cruise control set on. I find the cruise works well to stop the speeds creeping up. This is getting so much more important now that the speed is so effortless and with much of the motorway network having speed cameras that operate when national speed limit applies (and not just when speed restrictions are in place).

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use motorways frequently. I find them so crowded that keeping a steady speed for any length of time is impossible. Could you advise me of the speed you select and the lane that you drive in to make a 90% set speed feasible. Do you constantly use the + and ~ switches a lot?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Pilot said:
I use motorways frequently. I find them so crowded that keeping a steady speed for any length of time is impossible. Could you advise me of the speed you select and the lane that you drive in to make a 90% set speed feasible. Do you constantly use the + and ~ switches a lot?

Most of my car driving is busy Motorways also. Typically, M25, M20, M3, M1, all in the busiest periods. Normally I find that it's not possible to use the cruise control either but it was very quiet on Easter Monday.

Yes I am continually correcting the speed with the + and - keys, but tend to set it at about 73, (or 53 in the roadwork stretches.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I had my car for several weeks before realising it had cruise control. The reason being that the cruise control stalk is completely obscured by the steering wheel! I can't see it at all!

Does everyone use it by touch alone? if so has this caused anyone a problem? I could have a go at this, but could do with being able to se it for the first few times I use it so I can get used to it.

I have never used it, having had the car for 6 months now!

Are you all using it?
Hi I am the same as you have had my car 6 months and never used it , it is in a bad position. I do lots of highway driving so it would be very useful to utilise it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts