Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, A newbe here! My wife has a 8 month old 2008 diesel with less than 20k kilometers. From day one she has a noise from the front axle when she locks hard. The symptom is exactly like a worn cv joint - it "grabs" when turning and clicks and strangely seems worse when it is cold (car and weather). It is getting progressively worse, and when I watched her back around our house today I could see the wheel "grab and knock" exactly as if the cv joint was faulty. My neighbour also has a 2008 diesel with exactly the same symptom, and the garage were able to get the same knock from a new 2008 on the forecourt. We have been back to the garage 5 times, they have had the car for several days, they have heard the noise, and today I was told by the service manager that "because several cars have it it is not a problem but a quirk!" (similar to the fact that they all seem to hate going into reverse gear!)
<br style="font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.3333330154419px; line-height: normal; : rgb245, 245, 255;">Because I am getting nowhere in the garage, I am going to start "tearing down soot" tomorrow but I was wondering if any other owners have had this or similar problem (or "quirke!"). She came with alloys and I'm wondering if the alloys could have a wrong spacing. Im at a loss, any imput would be much appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm having similar issues but I've got a 1.2 petrol with 1900 on clock I've got the 16 inch alloys on mine I'm booked in February 9 for first service and dealer is looking at this issue at same time hopefully it's fixed and covered by warranty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks and apologies for late reply..Sounds like the same issue. If you could let us know how you get on it would be much appreciated......hopefully you will get a faster response thean us! N

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like ive got the same issue too.2008 1.2vti intermitant knocking/grabbing on what appears to be front wheels. Never does it after initial setting off.
Edited by: Dodgewalker

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi I have no doubt there is an issue but is difficult to pin down. Cold weather and/ or cold car seems to make it worse. if it is parked in a carpark for a couple of hours on a cold day it grabs and clunks loudly - so load that passengers and bystanders can hear it and think the car has driven over something.. My problem is not that I have a fault (i am a mechanic and know any machine can have a problem) but the attitude of both the garage and pugeot. Anyway it is sort of comforting to know I am not alone! Please everybody - let pugeot know and if anybody else has this issue please post. Thanks N

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I have just posted on the main board for what I feel is the same fault, if you turn the steering to a certain degree, there is a gripping/clunking noise from front wheels and the car feels like it is shaking? has anyone had any luck in figuring this out? I am out of warranty and getting worried

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Didn't all cars come with a 2 year warranty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty sure ours has a 3 year warantee - I didnt think the 2008 is out that long.............

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
ng2008 said:
Im pretty sure ours has a 3 year warantee - I didnt think the 2008 is out that long.............

You are right. The first cars were sold in the summer of 2013. You couldn't place an order before June 2013.

Edited by: burty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guy just had mine into garage they have checked and tightened all suspension and calliper bolts the technician thinks it's the pads moving in their holder they are ordering me new pads to see if this stops it

Daz

1.2 allure cumulus grey pan roof park assist nav and heated seats
Edited by: Daz73

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that Daz. Im pretty sure our problem is not brake related but if you could let us know how you get on with the new pads I would be very grateful - all ideas welcome! NPS our noise is still getting worse - particularly on cold mornings!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Go check the temperature sensor from engine...If reads the air temp incorrectly, will get too much or too little carburant in engine, getting a tremor that will disappear as the engine becomes warmer...
This can be checked if you get a strange noise and strange feeling in driving first 5 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the imput, but im absolutely sure this has nothing to do with sensors. This is a mechanical grab and clunk noise with a wheel motion stick/catch. this only happens at full lock, mainly (but not always) when the car is very cold. The wheel motion is not a smooth rotation - it grabs in spots. I put it on the lift last week and could not replicate the issue, then the following morning I thought the cv joint was going to shear off because the grabbing/noise was so loud. It has the exact symptom of a cv joint knock (as if the cv joint is badly worn) or maybe a sticky bearing in the bottom of the gearbox. Very hard to pin down but it is getting more frequent/worse so may be easier to diagnose soon.Thanks again N

·
Registered
5 Posts
Currently have the same problem with my 2015 E hdi active (30k miles covered). Now does the skipping and clunking when going up and down multi storey car parks in full lock.

Dealer claims its quirk of the car! Any help or advice much appreciated

·
Registered
20 Posts
The reverse prob is probably due to the lack of sinchromesh in the gearbox,
As for the clucking mine has this to and I'm under the impression it could be to do with the diff/ electronic traction control as all linked together.
Hence you won't be able to replicate in the air, when on the ground both wheels trying to rotate at the same rate so one has to give hence the noise as it skids/clunks.
This seems more like a reasonable conclusion to me.Edited by: Gaz14

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Mine does not have 'grip control' - it's Active model. A mechanic did say he thought the issue is with the differential, but went on to say it was a quirk of the car. IMHO it's a design fault with the diff.
I could detect the fault at all on the 2016 new model petrol model the garage loaned me.

Have Peugeot offered you a fix or commented on the fault at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not seen Peugeot yet but going in soon to see them have paint work issues to sort out will put it to them then.
See what mumbojumbo they come out with before I tell them I used to be a mechanic......

·
Registered
27 Posts
So pleased I've just read this. My 2016 Peugeot 2008 Allure does exactly this. I was going to wait til it's first service in April to mention it to the dealer but it's getting worse and I thought I'd check the club pages first. It only occurs first thing in the morning, or if the car has been standing a few hours. It feels like the two front tyres are flat and you're trying to drive over rocks! It only lasts a few seconds then disappears. It may be a quirk according to Peugeot but it can't be doing the car any good surely?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad it's not just me then! Our 64 plate does exactly this. Car bangs and feels like it's slipping when I reverse off the drive with steering on full lock. The whole car judders!! Had it into Peugeot once and they said similar things - loads of people report it, not sure why because it's perfectly normal, but we'll take a look anyway. Then on pickup they recommend changing a wheel bearing because there have been a few reports that this fixes it. Well it didn't for me!
I've tried switching off the EPS to see if that helps, but doesn't. I had my father-in-law watch me off the drive, and the wheel visibly jitters.
Anyone had any luck at all getting this fixed? I suspect it is an expensive repair job so Peugeot will be avoiding doing it at all costs - but I'm keeping this car well beyond warranty so determined to get this sorted before it runs out!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts