Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for a hi-level 2 or 3 cycle carrier forthe back of my 2008. Does anyone have any recommendations or am I best carrying the bikes on the roof?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I went for a detachable towbar buddy,as wanting to pull a trailer,so ended up with a Wilco Motosave towbar cycle rack which fit on the ball.They were £49.99 a few weeks back.Carries two cycles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly I've no towbar and reading the a post on the cost of them
I won't be getting one in a hurry.
But thanks for the info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi - Just wondering if anyone has manged to locate a rear mounted cycle rack yet.

I went to Halfords today but they said the "bog standard" types wouldn't be safe because of the rear spoiler.

I don't fancy going to the expense of roof bars, or tow bar...........so wondered if anyone has managed to come across one which will fit the rear of the 2008??

Cheers

·
Registered
61 Posts
First of all - new one here, so hi all! (Or should I say bonsoir, as I live in France now?)

Don't have my 2008 yet, but it's just around 2 weeks left till THE MOMENT comes (signed the papers last Monday), should be with us on the 17th at the latest.

Which is just perfect timing, considering that its first trip will take us to Pyrenees 2 days later for l'Etape du Tour - which also means I'll be taking my bike with me (and my friend's as well).

Now, I haven't taken the towbar (partially because fitting it would take too long and the car wouldn't be ready for our trip) (not mentioning the combined cost of towbar and towbar-mounted cycle rack, which borders with ridiculous), so researching rear mounted racks now.

What looks best so far are Norauto racks (the link will take you to compatibility test, apparently there are 3 compatible with 2008:

- Norauto Norbike 3
- Norauto Norbike 3R and
- Mottez A025P1

I like both Norauto ones, and seems that others tend to share that opinion (reading reviews over the internet), so I'm wondering now which one to get. 3R would seem like a better solution, as it sits higher on the car, not obstructing license plate or lights (so it doesn't need anything extra to be used), but then again... I've seen some Norauto 3 videos which showed it angled differently (with its arms pointing more upwards), so it still doesn't obstruct license plate/lights, at the same time sitting slightly lower that 3R (which makes it better in terms of aerodynamics).

So, my £.02. Ordering from the UK would probably make it slightly more expensive, and delivery a bit longer, still I guess it's worth considering?

Edit: sig, linksEdited by: maciejz

·
Registered
30 Posts
Still waiting for my 2008. Out of interest do bicycles fit in the back with the seats down? Used to get one in my 58 plate 308.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't know yet, but will surely test it in 2 weeks, if no-one replies till then. :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Thule don't list a carrier to fit the tailgate, which may be significant.

I have a Thule rear carrier that we have from our 405 estate but that does fit our 807. I might check out the tailgate on the 2008 to see whether their is likelihood it might fit.But the plastic rear spoiler is a concern. Using something that fits the roof bars does seem like the safest option.

I would imagine you might get a bike in the back with the front wheel removed. That might be worth a try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dalou said:
Still waiting for my 2008. Out of interest do bicycles fit in the back with the seats down? Used to get one in my 58 plate 308.
I could get one in no problem, it was the second one which caused the problem (unable to find a way to get 2 in) - hence me looking at cycle racks.

Bit of a pain really 'cos I was hoping we could get both bikes in and scoot off somewhere !!

·
Registered
34 Posts
burty said:
But the plastic rear spoiler is a concern.
Yep - that seems to be the issue - the guy at Halfords thought it would be a big issue for most rear mounted racks on the 2008.

The images in the 3rd link posted by maciejz looks OK as the straps are directed up / away and over the rear spoiler (but probably only fits one bike on that).

Edited by: Debs

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
maciejz said:
Debs said:
The images in the 3rd link posted by maciejz looks OK as the straps are directed up / away and over the rear spoiler.
Yeah, guess this is a prerequisite for compatibility...

But then again, <a href="http://www.feline208.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2590" rel="nofollow">on the French forum</a> someone has shown <a href="http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=925328IMG2029x.jpg" rel="nofollow">Decathlon's Thule carrier fitted to their 2008</a> and apparently it worked too?
That looks a lot like the rack that we have.

To be honest I've always been reluctant to hang so much on the back.I tend to think the a roof carrier is a more suitable solution.

·
Registered
61 Posts
burty said:
And, out of curiosity, which rack exactly do you have?

burty said:
To be honest I've always been reluctant to hang so much on the back.I tend to think the a roof carrier is a more suitable solution.
I guess it depends what type of bikes are you going to hang there. In my case it will be 2 road bikes, 7 kg each, so it shouldn't be a problem (hopefully!)

Theoretically I prefer this solution, for 2 reasons: one is aerodynamics, 2nd one is all those stories I've read about people fitting their bikes on the roof, then forgetting about them and parking in the garage or driving under some low bridges etc. Too easy way to destroy your bikes...

·
Registered
34 Posts
dalou said:
How big are the bikes? Full size adult?
Won't they lie down with one on top of the other?
Both are full size adult bikes.

I managed to get one bike in lying on it's side with the front wheel down between the back of the front seat and the folded down back seats, so it was as flat as it could be...... I couldn't find anyway at all to get the second one in. The back wheel was jutting out by quite a few inches, so unable to close the hatch.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
maciejz said:
burty said:
And, out of curiosity, which rack exactly do you have?

burty said:
I guess it depends what type of bikes are you going to hang there. In my case it will be 2 road bikes, 7 kg each, so it shouldn't be a problem (hopefully!)

Theoretically I prefer this solution, for 2 reasons: one is aerodynamics, 2nd one is all those stories I've read about people fitting their bikes on the roof, then forgetting about them and parking in the garage or driving under some low bridges etc. Too easy way to destroy your bikes...
E have a Thule tailgate mounting rack that was originally purchased to fit a peugeot 405 estate. It's at least 12 years old, but It does fit our 807, and I expect many other cars.I am sure it would fit on the 2008 but I have not tried it yet.

In my experience the bikes are carried high up on the carrier, so are above 6 foot 6, so you probably won't clear height restrictions in car parks anyway.Consequently the benefits between carrying on the rear or the roof become a matter of choice.I like the fact that bikes on the roof don't interfere with access to the boot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok I'm still waiting for news of my car build (Grr). I'm hoping that by removing the bicycle's front wheels (they're quick release) and rotating the handlebars by 90° that I can get 2 in the back with the seats flat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So, we're back from Pyrenees.

As promised, here's my new Feline with 2 full-size adult road bikes (frame sizes 58 and 56) mounted on Norauto Norbike 3 rack I've mentioned earlier:

On the way back, as we were only two, I've put both bikes in the back - just removed both front wheels and saddles:

(Sorry for the bad quality of this one, my mobile has a long wet life behind it...)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts