Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 is coming up to it's next annual service/MOT and I've just booked it in with the dealership who has always done this work for us. Their charge, for a 'minor service' as we've done almost no mileage since last year .... £256. which includes £12 to 'sanitise' the car. Another Covid 19 scam??

·
Registered
291 Posts
I always insist they use non-Peugeot parts and that usually brings it down by £100 or so. Worth a try?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine was serviced by my local Peugeot dealer in June and there was no mention of a "sanitisation" charge.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can't see a Peugeot dealer wanting to use non genuine parts! and anyway on a minor service there aren't a lot of parts to change, maybe only oil and filter?
yes the charge to sanitise sounds like a money-making scheme.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always insist they use non-Peugeot parts and that usually brings it down by £100 or so. Worth a try?
I too can't see a dealership being happy not to use Peugeot parts. But as said, the minor service shouldn't involve any parts, provided they don't find a problem :rolleyes:

I still find the 'sanitising' fee is a scam!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 2008 is coming up to it's next annual service/MOT and I've just booked it in with the dealership who has always done this work for us. Their charge, for a 'minor service' as we've done almost no mileage since last year .... £256. which includes £12 to 'sanitise' the car. Another Covid 19 scam??
Just booked mine in for its third service which is called an 'oil service' by Peugeots service department. Not sure how much it costs but I have a two year service plan for £549 which is inflation proof. I was not quoted for a sanitisation service but I had several texts from Peugeot saying that a sanitisation would be free when I booked. My first MOT will cost £54.99 as is not covered by the service plan.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If this is the case, and the sanitising cost I was quoted isn't built into the Service/MOT others are having with their Dealerships, I'm going to have to query this with the Launceston dealership. Every pound is starting to count these days.

·
Registered
Peugeot 2008 1.2 GT-Line EAT6 Ultimate Red
46 Posts
Which Launceston dealership are you referring to, Truscotts or Hawkins on Pennygillam? I live in the PL15 area myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It pays to do things like:

1) Top up your washer fluid
2) Check and change your wipers if needed
3) Check your brake pads and change (I did all 4 for £120 and upgraded to reduced ebc greenstuff pads too)
4) Have the condition of your shocks checked a pair costs less than £100 and my local mechanic charges £50 to fit

Your dealer will do/offer to do these at an exorbitant mark-up

My first MOT is included in my service plan (I pay £19.95 a month) it's for 3yrs and includes 2 minor and one major service.

Who on earth pays the full price for an MOT??? I booked mine via groupon with ATS and paid £18,49, and that's for my profile pic Jag :)

PS: If you provide the correct spec oil and filter your dealer an't refuse to use them, it's parts of an EC directive

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Which Launceston dealership are you referring to, Truscotts or Hawkins on Pennygillam? I live in the PL15 area myself.
Truscotts and they have usually been fair with me. We are in the EX23 area. I much prefer the Launceston dealership to the other Truscotts up in Barnstaple. If just because of the journey!!

I will check, and tell them, my washer fluid which it bugs me to have to pay to have topped up when it's pretty much always topped up. And we only just changed the wipers (bought from Ebay). As for the other mechanic jobs (brakes/shocks) I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of the mechanics! I am taking a quote from the local garage (who eventually managed to fix/regas the a/c). If it's less than that quoted by Truscotts I may cancel and go local. Especially re the £12 sanitisation cost, which really bugs me!

Again the cost of motoring, even if our mileage is low. Ditto with vet bills!!!

·
Registered
Peugeot 2008 1.2 GT-Line EAT6 Ultimate Red
46 Posts
Good luck with the servicing, I've used Truscotts a lot as well and bought two cars from them but the staff and their policies change over the years. My late wife absolutely adored Whippets and had two of them which her father used to take to races, they loved it and couldn't wait to get started!

·
Registered
307 Posts
"Especially re the £12 sanitisation cost, which really bugs me!"

That was funny right there!! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well I have contacted a local garage, the people who (eventually!) regassed my a/c and they are doing a standard service for £132.00 + £54.85 for the MOT (ouch but still). The total figure coming to just under £70 less than what Truscotts Launceston are asking - no sanitisation charge!! Yep no sanitisation 'bugging' :D

I bought 2 Peugeots from Truscotts Barnstaple (1 207 SW and our first 2008), and 1 (?2) from Launceston. We had a 206 SW from one of the car lots in Bideford (rubbish!) and another 207 SW which I think may have come from Launceston - I forget. I have previously found Truscotts (both, but better Launceston) helpful and efficient but I am getting to the point I have to watch every penny (my Savings 'interest' was 17p this month now it's gone wayyy down). With the car out of warranty now, I don't need to use the dealership.

@ mooi1uk My Whippet has never raced but I've no doubt she'd have loved it. She's a bit past that now + a heart murmur. She came from a breeder who used to live just outside Crediton, now in Belstone (Dartmoor) via some time in Normandy!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Later. I guess you get what you pay for...... having read good reports, despite it taking 3 goes to re-gas my air con, I did have the basic service done + MOT a week or so ago. All appeared to be well and the price was around £70 less than my previously always used dealership wanted. It was done, picked up and returned on Friday 11th last.

I didn't used the car until the following Wed. when I had to go into town to pick up some extra meds and I didn't notice anything unusual that day. The next day, Thursday last week after I took the car off the drive first thing for grocery shopping I noticed a significant damp patch on the drive which I put down to condensation. It didn't smell. I left the car on the road, which I tend to do when I've used the car as our drive is quite steep. When I went to put the car back on the drive later in the day, the 'patch' was still there - odd as it had been dry all day and plenty of time for water to have dried. I wasn't happy so phoned the garage who did the service and arranged to take it back on Friday first thing. They quickly discovered it was an OIL LEAK from the sump plus that hadn't been tightened enough. They tightened it, and topped up the lost oil. They told me it was a good job I'd not just left it - NO KIDDIN'.

So much for 'cheaper'. And if I'm honest, I'm not now confident in this garage, despite their good feedback. And the bottom line is I won't be going back. Disgusting or what!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have just booked my car in with the Launceston Dealership to take a look because I'm not sure the leak isn't still there, if less. Taking it down for 1.30 pm today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts