Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I took possession of my 2008 yesterday. The car has been ordered on the 22nd of April and delivered with one week of delay (several buyers are seeing their delivery delayed more than that over here, so I'm quite lucky).

My first impressions are very good over all. I already saw the car in April so I knew what I liked and what I liked less.

The car as I discovered it at my dealership:

I chose this colour because white will probably be the most common (although I like the 2008 in white), black I don't like, I find the blue a bit too cold, brown (Makaha) is too chocolate for my taste, Sprit Grey is my favourite colour among the 3 remaining greys available. I think it looks rather classy and hopefully it will be easy to maintain and keep clean.

Driving to the countryside...

My previous car was a 308 so I'm used to Peugeot and I know the 1,6 L VTi petrol engine. Although this engine could consume less, I find it perfect for my taste (it's silent, flexible and offers enough power). I'm driving mostly in town, in the suburbs and hardly ever take the motorway ""“ where I know it can be noisy. Maybe in 2 years I'll switch to the THP engines to come.

Interior styling:

The quality in materials and finish is good but not premium (remember I come from a 308, which probably makes me harder to please), the hard plastics are not rare and the glossy ones for me are a no no. The handbrake is supposed to be original - well it is, but is this really a good idea? I'm not so sure, and because of this handbrake, no central armrest:

But maybe there's good news. See this small compartment behind the handbrake? It's almost the beginning of an armest, maybe if I put some sort of small cushion there, my arm could... well, rest

Exterior styling:

This is where I love the 2008. I know this car is not a SUV, it's a crossover, that means it's a little of a hatchback, a little of an estate or SW, a little of a SUV, but not entirely one of these. It's a 2008

I find it perfectly well proportioned, very well drawn or designed, it's a beautiful car.

One of the main reasons I bought this car is the elevated driving position (to sum up, I wanted a slightly smaller, more compact and a bit higher 308). You're not as elevated as in a real SUV but I didn't want that either, you're just a bit higher. The interior space is very good and bright, plenty of light, it's not too big but it's not too small.

Driving...

Everything you've read in the reviews is true: the ride is comfortable, controlled, the car sticks to the road and brakes very well, Peugeot knows how to make this and did it with the 2008.

The small steering wheel has not been a problem for me, neither has been the driving position regarding the view of the instruments (it took me about 10 seconds to find the right position). I don't like the blue LED light around the speedometer so I disabled it.

To sum up my impressions:

What I liked:

""¢ Exterior design, I'm in love with this car which I find beautiful.
""¢ The ride, secure and very pleasant.
""¢ The upright driving position, not too high but not too low, perfect.
""¢ Comfort and silence (I forgot to mention the car is pretty well insulated).

What I liked less:

""¢ The quality of materials and finish (inside) could be improved (but I realize I am a demanding person coming from a 308. If you come from a 207, you should be satisfied; if you come from a Clio, you should be thrilled
).
""¢ The handbrake has no real reason to be and is responsible of the lack of armrest.
""¢ The 1,6L VTi petrol consumption.

PS. it is very nice of you to say my English is perfect but I know it's not ""“ it can't be ""“, the important thing is that it's comprehensible.

Greetings from Northern France
.Edited by: Olivier from France

·
Registered
193 Posts
Olivier, that is a fantastic review. Your car looks great especially in the setting and these could almost be publicity pictures. I am glad you are pleased and truly you have no issue with your english.

Mac.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yes, great review and brilliant photos.

Colour looks great.

Al.

PS: Olivier, I've added your car to the 'Colour Videos to help you choose' section. I know it's not a video but your photos really show the colour well. Hope that's Ok. Al.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your kind words. I didn't want just to post pictures but also say a few words about my impressions.

allan40alt said:
PS:  Olivier, I've added your car to the 'Colour Videos to help you choose' section. I know it's not a video but your photos really show the colour well. Hope that's Ok.  Al.
No problem at all, I'm glad if this helps other people choosing their colour

Chances are Spirit Grey will be the rarest option, we'll see mostly white, black, the two remaining greys, brown and blue.

For those who ordered a 2008, I wish their car will be delivered as quick as possible

·
Registered
155 Posts
Running my own business mending Peugeots as I do, I would suggest the 308 is the worst built, finished and designed of all the current range - excepting the dreadful 207 which is on its way out - so to suggest the interior fit, finish and materials aren't quite up to 308 standards is a little worrying.

On the other hand, the 107 undoubtedly has the cheapest and cheesiest interior in the current range, yet by a massive margin it's the most reliable model. Proof that soft touch plastics or a fake leather grained finish are in no way indicative of the cars likely "quality".Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Good thread guys.It's nice to read some first impressions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was very sunny this morning, so I went to a nice place with pine trees (no Scots Pine, sorry, only Austrian Pine) and took a couple of more pictures there. Would you like me to post them?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Olivier, those pictures look great. I have to say that colour really sets of the car nicely.A quick question for you. Did the carpet mats come as standard or where they an accessory? My dealer is unsure and was telling me that his demonstrator came with carpets that did not fit!I must admit I am also surprised our accessory web site is not updated with the 2008 yet. I thought it would have been for the official launch date last week.

Mac.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Mac,

Apart from the spare wheel and the CD player, I took no options, so everything you see is standard.

I've read that sometimes, some equipments may slightly change from one country to another (France vs. abroad), so I guess your dealer should know better than me. That's in general, not only for the 2008. Also, some versions are sometimes unavailable in certain countries (for instance, 2008 Féline is unavailable in Belgium - why, that's a mystery to me; as a result, several buyers there who want the 'best' 2008 possible are forced to choose an Allure with all the options. But the new 308 will be available in Féline in Belgium, go figure).

I agree about your accessory web site not updated yet, it's a shame and not a good point for Peugeot I must say.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Olivier, yes I will have to wait that couple of weeks. Strangely I also asked my dealer to see if a full size 17 inch spare alloy will fit in mine under the boot floor. I have to say I do not really like space savers which is what my Feline will have. He did tell me they had mud flaps in stock so I will go for them and the rear bumper protector.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Mac.
Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi everyone

Some further impressions after 2 weeks driving the 2008:

I'm completely used to the car and don't regret my 308. The small steering wheel is definitively a plus, the ride is very comfortable although the suspension is slightly harder (which could be considered as a good point, the 308 might be a bit too soft), the insulation is the same (very good that is) and overall it's a great pleasure knowing I have to go somewhere driving

Two or three things I like less:

""¢ Those shiny plastics are not a good idea (I knew that but now I can experience they're dust magnets).

""¢ The radio or any other music source just cannot be turned off. When you start the car, you've got music, wether you like it or not. If you press the pause button while driving, it stops of course, but when you stop the engine (even with the music stopped) and then start the car later on, the music is back on. The only thing you can do is to turn the volume down to zero before stopping the engine, the music will still play when you start the car later but the volume will be very low (around 3 or 4 out of 20).

At first I thought I missed something, went back looking in the manual but I learned from other owners Peugeot didn't put any on/off button (chances are it will be the same in the 308). Incomprehensible.

""¢ The back parking sensor (we call it radar in French, I don't know the proper translation for that) is far too cautious: it goes BIIIIP and turns red (meaning the rear bumper almost hit an obstacle) when there's still 15 to 20 cm (38 to 50 inches) left. I've heard it's the same in all the cars these days. This is supposed to be a precision instrument and they make it inaccurate on purpose. Too bad.

I received my Boot Sill Protector and instead of having it fixed by my garage, I did it myself. Due to the device reported coming off on both ends after a few days, I had to find a way to prevent that. Found a way to fix it nearer to the boot than advised by Peugeot so the Protector is a little bit too large and can be inserted under the sheet metal of the car. A few pictures because I'm not sure I'm comprehensible (it's becoming a bit too technical for my English):

Also, I followed Al's advice and did not rivet (the sheet metal is too thin anyway). I left the existing double-sided tape but reenforced it with many glue points in between. It's been a week now and the Boot Sill Protector is still there

To all the people waiting for their car, I wish their delays will be as short as possible and that they will be able enjoy their 2008 soon
.Edited by: Olivier from France

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Olivier, that sill protector looks great. I guess that will empty my wallet a bit!!

I'll ask my dealer about the radio on/off as it doesn't seem right that it can't be turned off.

We seldom have any music on in the car so that will mean I'll have to keep it muted.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Regarding the on/off, my dealer suggested turning the volume right the way down as opposed to muting.

That way it stays silent every time you switch the ignition on.

Al.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
allan40alt said:
Regarding the on/off, my dealer suggested turning the volume right the way down as opposed to muting.

That way it stays silent every time you switch the ignition on.

Al.

Massive shortcoming though isn't it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts