Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this to be an interesting read:

http://www.servicing.peugeot.co.uk/media/diesel-particulate-filters-top-tips.pdf

Scroll down to page 2.

Presumably all the undesirable trapped soot particles get burned off and blown out the exhaust pipe into the atmosphere then?

PS: However; if you wish to eliminate the problem completely....

http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk/ecu-remapping/custom-remaps/DPF-delete-FAP-removal.html

...this entirely your choice and I will have nothing to do with it.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
540 Posts
allan40alt said:
Presumably all the undesirable trapped soot particles get burned off and blown out the exhaust pipe into the atmosphere then?
No, the composition of the soot is changed with the increase in temperature so they are no longer harmful.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank Bullitt said:
allan40alt said:
No, the composition of the soot is changed with the increase in temperature so they are no longer harmful.

It was a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment Frank. Gotcha.

Al.

PS:...it is an interesting read though don't you think.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi Allan...Here you can cancel the DPF and remove it if is very old and start FAP errors... As the DPF involves rare metals and high ceramics, is an expensive part...and many renounce at it...
Of course is a problem regarding small particles...But as we remember, the worst particles were generated by Pb and sulfates...this madetoxic ashes, that can give loan cancer...at this moment the Pb is no more present in diesel or gas...and the ashes particles concentration is less that the pollution we have from other sources (dust, power plants, and so on) as the engines are now less ashes producer (98g for PGT 2008 vs 300g an old standard gas car)...
It would be interesting to find a comparison between the contamination from diesel ashes at present.

Also at DPF removal the engine will go smoother and more powerful, but will see more smoke if the DPF is not canceled properly.

Only my personal opinion...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I did suspect Al!

PM10's are not directly related to CO2 emissions and due to the DPF they aren't really an issue in Euro5 compliant cars - the problem is we've had an unhealthy obsession with carbon emissions which has taken the eye off some substantially less pleasent emissions the most obvious one being NOx, and this is what Euro6 starts to deal with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts