Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For anyone who has never experienced Malta, the country is small with roads being densely packed. My daily weekday journey runs between 20 - 35 minutes never going more than 60km/hr. In this time frame the Start/Stop function would kick in between 4 - 8 times.

Someone told me that given the short distances and short travel time I should disable the ECO function. I recall the phrase "ruin the starter" in the conversation.

I'm not a car techie (haven't yet gotten round to opening the bonnet
).

I would be interested in listening to your opinion on the matter please.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Alan.

That constant 'stop/start' annoys me, especially when coming to a roundabout or minor junction when I know I'll be wanting instant acceleration.

I'm in the habit of pressing the 'eco' button (on the dash just to the side of the steering wheel). That stops it cutting out until I clear the area then I re-engage it so it cuts the engine at traffic lights or where there's a longer delay.

Al.

PS:....and yes, I have been to Malta many times. Always have a ride on your buses. We love them.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Al,

I'm not that bothered by the cutting off; I just don't want a false sense of economy; this constant stopping and starting would, in the medium term, end up costing me more in components that end up lasting far less because of the ECO effect.

Next time you're in Malta contact me I'll give you a ride in my 2008 - anyway's Arriva have left Malta and a new bus provider should materialize soon.

Alan

·
Registered
540 Posts
chribonn said:
Hi Al,

I'm not that bothered by the cutting off; I just don't want a false sense of economy; this constant stopping and starting would, in the medium term, end up costing me more in components that end up lasting far less because of the ECO effect.

Next time you're in Malta contact me I'll give you a ride in my 2008 - anyway's Arriva have left Malta and a new bus provider should materialize soon.

Alan
It's the advice you've had regarding the starter motor that's wrong - cars with stop start don't have starter motors because they can't start the engine quick enough and they'd get killed in weeks - it's basically a huge battery pack and is perfectly fine for stop start use that's what it's designed for; the system is self monitoring so if there is a fault it will simply stop operating and the engine won't stop.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Ah, thanks for that Frank. I was also a bit worried about the load on the starter motor.

Good to know it's a separate system for the stop/start operation.

Al.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Frank.

Places such as this forum clear the air of gossip and ghosts.

Out of curiosity, could it be that is why the vehicle guide makes multiple (think 3) references tot he fact that the battery is "special"?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If you check the battery out it's massive.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will open the bonnet this week :)

Does that meant hat the battery is Peugeot specific or do other manufacturers also implement such technology?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had stop-start on a few cars now, and this by far is the most seamless. It restarts pretty much silently and pulls away fast & smoothly. My last car (a '13 plate Focus Zetec S - also a 1.6 diesel) sounded like the starter was being used to re-start the car every time. The peugeot is fantastic at stop-start - I love it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just be aware of one thing my wife's fiat 500 stop/start on a 12 plate had a problem and the stop start stopped working, it was discovered by the Fiat dealer that the battery was dead˜” cost £200+ to have a new one fitted as the warranty on a new cars battery is only 1 year ˜±. Well after a week of no car and arguments with Fiat UK they decided to change it free of charge, I spoke to my Peugeot dealer and yep only a years warranty on the battery ˜”

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you don't like using the start stop system just don't drop it into neutral at every stop just keep it in 1st with you foot on the clutch, easy peasy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think they have the egc model which is auto i think and works on the brake cos it don't have a clutch, i had a courtesy 3008 and it was very annoying going into eco as you slowed down at roundabouts etc so i know what they mean, but the manual is much more controllable and make sense because in the 3008 when you came to a stop and took your foot of the brake it would start up again which seemed kind of daft.

·
Registered
540 Posts
chribonn said:
Will open the bonnet this week :)

Does that meant hat the battery is Peugeot specific or do other manufacturers also implement such technology?
I didn't come back to you on this - the main battery will be a typical off the shelf unit if a little bigger than you'd expect, the technology is reasonably common across lots of manufacturers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got it switched on, but apart from the blue ECO light and a dead rev counter haven't noticed anything to complain about... I've gone 'automatic' for the first time outside the States after 35 years of manual, and the moment I lift the brake pedal, she's away like a rabbit!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
are there any problems
with the
Start & Stop
the battery when is disconnected for
about 1
hour?

Edited by: pitsch

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
It's not recommended to disconnect the AGM STOP/START battery.

It does not have to be disconnected for charging.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't really comment on the 2008, because I have only owned one for 2 days
, but my last car (BMW) had stop/start, and it did hammer the battery.

There were tell tale signs on the BMW when the battery was on it's way out :

The stop start doesn't work
The heated rear window doesn't work
Heated seats don't work

The reason being it is saving all it's energy just to start the engine. It never worked below 7 degrees (but you possibly won't have that problem in Malta ??). The battery was just over £200 to replace and needed to be "registered" to the car......... not sure if this is the same for the 2008.

I will be disabeling the stop start on my 2008 however wrong that is

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There wouldn't be any economies to be gained if what one saves in fuel one ends up paying for in batteries.

This is my first Start / Stop vehicle. Is there anyone who can share his experience of previous Start / Stop vehicles with respect to battery life.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts