Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all members,

We are living in France (so lefthand drive model)and have just got our 2008 Titane 1.6L diesel 92bhp.
My question is : would it be risky to connect an intelligent battery charger with an max output 5 ampsto the main battery without disconnecting the battery leads (don't want to have to reprogramme anything).

I have been configuring the touch screen and as I'm on the slow side, it keeps going into eco-mode soI have to start the engine and keep it running.

Any help would stop my wife moaning,

Thanks in advance,

harry.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Do not disconnect the stop/start battery or you may have to visit your dealer. You charge it in-situ.

The non stop/start battery can be disconnected for charging though (according to the manual).

I tried connecting a charger when programming but it still went into eco-mode.

If you start the engine for 5 minutes and switch off, then immediately switch the ignition back (don't start the engine) then it should allow you to do a fair bit of setting up before going into eco-mode again.

Don might be able to give you a bit more info regarding this.

Al.

PS: Hi Harry and welcome to the club.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
155 Posts
It multiplexed so don't connect a a charger or jump start. The main battery can be safely disconnected, but if you're driving the car regularly there should be no need.

On some Pugs eco mode kicks in on a timer, on others when XYZ of current has been drawn. There's no way of disconnecting it, switching it off and the dealer can't reconfigure the BSI to deactivate it either. It's eternal carved in granite, indestructible.

If you can't set up in time the only way around it is with the engine running. Get your missus to drive next time while you finger her controls ;)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Hi Don, this is what the manual states regarding charging:

Charging the battery using
a battery charger
ô© Disconnect the battery from the vehicle.
ô© Follow the instructions for use provided by
the manufacturer of the charger.
ô© Connect the battery starting with the
negative terminal (-).
ô© Check that the terminals and connectors
are clean. If they are covered with sulphate
(whitish or greenish deposit), remove them
and clean them.

The Stop & Start battery does not have
to be disconnected for charging.

So I'm a little confused now because I have had a charger connected, but; it showed LOW and checking it whilst charging after 30 mins it still showed LOW. Charge rate showed as 2A and the battery voltage started at 12.8V rising to 13.6V after 30mins.

However, when I turned off the charger and checked it said FULL.

Turn the charger on again and it shows LOW.

I did check with the Ring Automotive and they said their RSC508 charger was perfectly suitable for charging these AGM stop/start batteries.

My experience though makes me wonder whether they should be charged and from what you say I don't think I'll be using the charger on it again.

Thank you for the info.

Al.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I think I'll leave both batteries well alone.
I was disappointed to discover that there is no DAB radio in my LHD French registered 2008.
The English manual explains how to select DAB FM automatic station tracking(page 238). Unfortunately no mention of it in the French manual.
Harry.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't the Frenchies and Germans broadcast DAB+, a different technical standard?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I could find out was the following: :
France Band L (service interrupted)
U.K. : Bande III
Belgium : Bande III et L.
Germany : Bande III or L according to the region.

We drove over from Paris to Wimbledon today andupdated the list to receive digital radio programmes(Radio Kent etc) once we were in the U.K. Does this mean I have a DVB radio in my 2008? Anyway as I said no way of setting it up.
harry.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Just been reading a bit about these AGM batteries and found this extract:

<center style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 17px;"><div ="title22" style="margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; letter-spacing: -1px; line-height: 28px; font-size: 26px; font-weight: bold; font-family: 'arial black', gadget, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; padding-top: 5px;">AGM Battery Technology
</center>AGM
(Absorption Glass Mat) sealed battery technology was originally developed in 1985 for military aircraft where power, weight, safety, and reliability were paramount considerations.AGM battery technology has continued to develop and offer improvements over other sealed battery technologies. AGM technology has become the next step in the evolution of both starting and deep cycle sealed batteries for marine, RV, and aviation applications. This "next generation" technology delivers increased safety, performance, and service life over all other existing sealed battery types, including gel technology.In AGM sealed batteries, the acid is absorbed between the plates and immobilized by a very fine fiberglass mat. No silica gel is necessary. This glass mat absorbs and immobilizes the acid while still keeping the acid available to the plates. This allows a fast reaction between acid and plate material.The AGM battery has an extremely low internal electrical resistance. This, combined with faster acid migration, allows the AGM batteries to deliver and absorb higher rates of amperage than other sealed batteries during discharging and charging. In addition, AGM technology batteries can be charged at normal lead-acid regulated charging voltages, therefore, it is not necessary to recalibrate charging systems or purchase special chargers.

Maybe the different charge rate is the reason I noticed a difference in the readings compared to charging the standard lead-acid type on my wife's 11year old 206.

After 20 mins, or so, of charging her car battery, the amperage on the charger drops slightly and towards nearing a fully charged state, it will drop right down to 0.3 amps.

Reading that extract do I take it that the higher charge rate for these AGM batteries is maintained until the battery is full?

I choose the 2amp rate but I can equally select 4, 6, or even 8amp but I've never liked to select a higher rate as I figured they were for higher capacity batteries on vans, lorries etc.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
After reading further about charging AGM batteries I decided to invest in a new charger with a setting for AGM batteries.

Details can be found here in a new thread:

http://www.2008ownersclub.co.uk/forum/battery-charger_topic198.html

Please contribute to the new thread if I have mentioned anything that is not totally correct.

Thank you.

Al.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts