Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,any one tell me who had an ecomatic if you hear a noise between 1st and 2nd gear and another noise from transmition on 4th and 5th gear ? please help

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If that's the EGC system I can say mine's silky smooth and silent whether in auto mode; or using the paddles in auto mode; or using paddles or stick in manual mode.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Allan

I have an egc and after some trial and error I can achieve smooth gear changes in terms of motion although the full auto mode does have the 'hesitation' thats been discussed elsewhere.

What I do have which is worrying is quite a clatter as the gears change on slowing down from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. The demonstrator I tried didn't do this this and my car didn't when I first picked it up. I also have an odd momentary revving of the engine at the point of change down. Its going in for checks.

Could I ask if you here any discernible noises like this with your car? Also could I ask if the selected gear shows on your display when the car is in full auto mode. The manual suggests it should but I just have 'Auto' in the display.

Thanks

Haligary

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
No jarring or hesitation; I just get smooth gear changes all the time.

No noise or clatter.

No, I do not get the gear display above the word 'Auto' when driving in Auto. It just shows 'Auto'.

Edited by: allan40alt

·
Registered
273 Posts
I believe that the actual gear display has now been deleted. My December build car only shows 'Auto '

This is my second ECG car and changes have always been near silent. I would be concerned if I heard rattling.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've just corrected my previous post as I do not get the gear I'm in appear above the word 'Auto' when in auto mode.

I do get the gear I'm in appear when I am in manual mode.

Sorry if I confused anyone else as well as myself!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like the LCD display has been changed from what is shown in the manual. Its a pity, I think it would be very useful to see the gear at certain times when contemplating a change with the paddles. My dealer didn't have much to say apart from it can't be done.

I also drew a blank on the noisy gear change mentioned a few posts up. They did 'diagnostic tests' which I confess means little to me but I guess is a computerised process? Anyway the outcome is no problem was evident. Now they say it is perfectly normal for egc to do this. Funny, they didn't say this before when I took the service guy out to demonstrate and they booked the car into the workshop, hmmmmm

It just doesn't sound right to me that a new car should be doing this, its the sort of thing I would have put up with had something similar developed with my old car, 10 years old and 70000 on the clock. Am I being too fussy?

I said I would like to look into this a little deeper and was given the Peugeot customer service number to call. The bending over backwards period appears to have come to an abrupt halt!

Any comments, observations or advice would be most welcome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Sander

Did you see my posts following yours? I appreciate its hard to describe a noise but could you give me an idea what you are hearing? Does 'ecomatic' mean the same as egc? I get a noise on the change down from 3rd to 2nd to 1st. its a kind of rattle and to me just sounds like things are loose and slopping about.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
They show the gear selection number as it will appear in manual mode.

They show the word Auto as it will appear in auto mode.

NB:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Gears in manual mode

AUTO. This comes on when the automated
mode is selected. It switches off on
changing to manual mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi haligary..
I am hearing the same noises you is hearing and my car is brand new ,only one week.

very dissaponted with it.they tall me the same thay told you,that the sounds I am hearing are normal.

I will never buy a car of this brand again for sure

·
Registered
11 Posts
allan40alt said:
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">They show the gear selection number as it will appear in manual mode.</span>

They show the word Auto as it will appear in auto mode.

NB:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Gears in manual mode

AUTO. This comes on when the automated
mode is selected. It switches off on
changing to manual mode.
can you change down to many gears with the paddle? Or will it prevent you going into to low a gear
cheers fraser

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
After starting the vehicle, select position A
for enter automated mode.
AUTO and the gear engaged appear
in the instrument panel screen.
The gearbox is then operating in auto-active
mode, without any action on the part of the
driver. It continuously selects the most suitable
gear, depending on the:
- style of driving,
- profile of the road.

AUTO and 1, 1 or R appears in the instrument
panel screen.

Above is an extract from the manual and it does say that in auto mode it displays the word AUTO and the gear engaged, but mine only displays AUTO.

I've only ever dropped two gears with the paddles whilst in AUTO and I couldn't see any mention of a gear select prevention apart from trying to select Reverse whilst moving:

At very low speed, if reverse gear
is requested, this will only be taken
into account when the vehicle is
immobilised. A warning lamp appears in
the instrument panel screen.

It does though mention:

The gear change requests are only carried out
if the engine speed permits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I just got my brand new 2008 allure Egc and it's the most awful car I've drove! When I was buying it I test drove the 3008 Egc because they told me it was the sAme box and engine. But the 2008 I have revs really high and jerks when changing gears and there's a clonking noise between 1st and 2nd and 2nd 3rd. It's been back to the dealer and they have put it on the computers and said it is perfect... Not one fault. Worst car I've owned. Has anyone had any luck resolving this

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Strange how the EGC differs.

Mine is silky smooth and silent when it changes gear.

It doesn't matter whether I hold the revs or slightly ease off as it changes. It's just smooth and silent.

If the garage was to check mine they would say it's perfect so how can they say yours is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know but your sound like the 3008 I test drove which is what I want. Can you feel yours changing gear? Mine is like a roller coaster ... Your head gets rocked out

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The changes are almost imperceptible.

I also test drove a 3008 with EGC (they only had a manual 2008 at the time).

I would say the EGC on my 2008 is better.

I reckon it's the best of both Worlds, especially with the ability to use the shift paddles on the wheel whilst still in auto mode. Brilliant

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Deemeek said:
I don't know but your sound like the 3008 I test drove which is what I want. Can you feel yours changing gear? Mine is like a roller coaster ... Your head gets rocked out

Why don't you suggest to your dealer that you think it might be an idea for you to take their mechanic out for a drive so you can demonstrate how it behaves?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did and when it made the clonking noise I asked him wat was that and his response was I don't know so they then took it for 3 days and the service manager took it home for 2 days and says its normal but I'm 100% sure this isn't normal. I test drove the 3008 Egc because they only had manual 2008

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is my second EGS car. I had a 3008. The gearboxes on both the old car and my 2008 are silent in operation. I note that several of our members have had noisy EGS boxes. This is not normal and you should make sure your dealer fixes the car to your satisfaction. No modern car should have a noisy gearbox, even 4wd. Don't put up with it. I have also posted on another thread re noisy EGS boxes. The dealers are fobbing you off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts