Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps new to this site so hope I don’t mess up with this. I own two pugs one is 2008 65plate feline mistral. My wife went out in it yesterday and when she set off it seemed a bit rattly. She rang from the shop and said something had fallen off it on the way. Still running so she drove it home ( no warning lights on). I looked underneath and the undertray has been smashed open on the drivers side under the timing belt area. Engine runs but rattles not Internally so I’m thinking an idler or something has collapsed. I wanted to ask for pics of that end of the engine so I might be able to tell what’s possibly missing. 1.6 diesel 120 go please

·
Registered
287 Posts
So basically wife wasn't paying attention and hit something in the road, who had driven the car previously?

You've not stated where you are, here in the UK some repair places are still open for emergencies.

First thing is to buy yourself a new undertray, take the old one off and see if you can see ant damage.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Under-Engine-Cover-Undertray-Shield-for-Citroen-C3-C4-Cactus-DS3-Peugeot-208/323204820188?fits=Car+Make:Peugeot|Model:2008+I|Cars+Year:2015&hash=item4b40822cdc:g:4H0AAOSwIzBaz0Qx

Natch you'll need a fixing kit if any of the retainers have been lost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The damage was definitely done from the engine compartment as you can see inside the tray where the liner has been ripped off. Not getting into wife’s driving ability she might kill me. Any photos would be greatly appreciated there are no manuals or exploded views available. More bothered about the rattle than the undertray as some judicious use of tie wraps will sort that thanks for the reply though

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hector, sorry I've seen no diagrams from the underneath either, so you'd best get it to a garage

Been married twice and alway insisted that if they scuffed alloys or got dents that the repair money came out of their pockets.

Happily single now and my bank balance is grateful :D

Am trying to imagine what would shred an undertray from the inside like that, since the car's running and no damage to belts?

Best of luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Am trying to imagine what would shred an undertray from the inside like that, since the car's running and no damage to belts?

I know we have potholes all over, but that would have to have been some pothole - and perhaps some speed? :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the air con compressor has exploded. Apparently not an essential part unless you want to use the air con. However I will be replacing it ASAP. That’s why the engine is still running , the pulley and bearings are a separate part and are in good nick. Now I need to ask Peugeot why it was completely dry inside when it should be oiled and it had a service not long ago.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Air con compressor was dry inside?? Appreciate that they only use a few grams of lube and I've never heard of one exploding before.

Part number is NS89201 and they cost around £300, I've had major services on all of my cars and in 38yrs of driving a dealer has never ever looked at the air-con system, they will if you ask...then they'll put a decent mark-up in that.

Typically I have my aircon on any car regassed and lubed every 3yrs max, usually get a deal on groupon for around £40. Have you ever had your air-con serviced on this car?

·
Registered
227 Posts
The air con is not lubricated from the outside. It is lubricated from the inside by the filling and you have to run the air-con at least once in a month to make this lubrication happen.

I'm sure I read in my owners manual it's recommended to run the aircon for at least 10 minutes once a month. I leave my climate control aircon on almost permanently and have only ever switched it off on a few occasions for short periods of time in the two and a bit years I've owned the car. I get a full aircon service completed once yearly during the routine servicing of my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep that’s absolutely right for the gas side of the air con however the compressor itself has an area which requires independent lubrication and that is where my compressor failed as seen in the pics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should point out that the car has a full Peugeot service history. I would have thought that in the last 6 years at least one of those services would have included checking the OIL level in the compressor itself. The last service being done in November last year and the car has done less than 2,000 miles since.I am a big Peugeot fan make no mistake and things break occasionally I would just like to know whether the compressor was checked at the last service. My initial request was for someone to provide a photo of the timing end of a Diesel engine so I could check if anything was missing, still waiting for that. As it happens It won’t matter now but seems a shame no one bothered. Bye peeps won’t be back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
well I've never heard of lubricating the compressor itself, the aircon gas should have PAG oil added to the system at recharge time (specific amounts, the amount of oil removed should be measured and replaced) the incorrect amount of PAG oil will cause seizure.
I've checked the service schedules I have here (sadly not got a Peugeot one here) and cant find any that say lube the ac compressor!
maybe Peugeot is different?

I'll have to look when my car gets here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did you use the air-con much?

Appreciate that prior to the mid 90's only expensive cars had air-con and many drivers of a certain age don't use there's as much as they should :(

Actually, when you regas/lube an air con system it doesn't include the compressor which is more or less a sealed unit that only needs relubing if a new one is fitted.

So usually just a few grams is all that' needed for the lines etc, I've had probably 10-15 regas/lubes done on over 8 of my cars since the early noughties and they never needed to put much in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts