Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been reading about the EGC and found something I think is extremely good.

When driving in 'Automatic' mode you can override the gear you are in by using the steering wheel paddles to drop a gear or two if needed for overtaking.

I thought I would have to move the gear selector stick from Auto to Manual in order to use the steering wheel paddles.

Auto still shows in the display and the car will return to auto if there is no further action on the controls.

You can also drop a gear by using the accelerator pedal(which I was aware of)
or move the gear stick to Manual and move up and down as you wish
(which I was also aware of)

How clever is that with the paddle override whilst staying in Auto!

I like that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes i was amazed by this when i first discovered it on a Peugeot 308, its pretty cool how it stays in automatic

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jinxx80 said:
If i told you I understood all of that i'd be lying to you...lol.

What is EGC?

is that cruise control?

Hi Jinxx, EGC is Electronic Gear Control which is the Automatic version of the 2008.

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don Bernard said:
Do you want to know the downside?

I think I'd better know rather than do something I shouldn't and get a problem.

I had a similar system on a Honda Civic 5 years ago and that worked quite well but I don't know whether that had this 'paddle change' function whilst in Automatic mode.

I used the the paddles a few times but I was always in the manual mode when I did.

I nearly always just left it in Automatic. Worked well. Smooth change provided I just eased off the revs a tad as it changed up.

But, (I'm holding my breath now)...what's the downside?

Al.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's not a major downside, but worth considering if you're keeping the car long term.

It's not an auto box, but a robotised manual- quite literally a normal mechanical box with a system of computer controlled servos in place of a gear stick. Consequently, it has a normal clutch and it will wear faster than a straight manual box. The clutch adjustment can only be done at a Peugeot dealer as Planet is required to set it ( I have Planet, but don't have the latest updates which include the 2008). The clutch can only be changed at a Peugeot dealer because of the need to have the adjustment done on Planet.

It's much the same with mos manufacturers similar systems. Not a problem per se, but it ties you into the dealers for everything involving the clutch until the end of time. Expensive, and years down the line will result in cars being prematurely scrapped because the cost of a new clutch and set up at the dealer outweighs the value of the car, a many a driver of otherwise perfectly good Alfa 156s have discovered. I'm keeping my car long term and is why I keep to a fairly simple spec.
Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, that's the same as the Civic but there is a benefit with the Peugeot as it has the 'Stop/Start'.

With the civic I always had to select neutral at lights / crossings etc so as to reduce wear on the clutch.

With the stop/start I'm guessing that problem will be eliminated (says me holding my breath again
).

I reckon I'll be changing in about 3 - 4 years after around 15K - 20K miles. My last Qashqai only had 6K after that time, but we are moving to one main car and my wife insists that we actually use this new car for motoring in preference to me waxing and polishing it!

Al.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, like the Golf, but I've read that they change quicker (not that I need speed at my age!!).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yes they do change quicker particularly if they have a preselect capability so that as you accelerate they guess the gear you need and line it up ready. The last one I had like it used one clutch for odd gears and one for even. Great if you need to change gear in less than a blink. But for me on a normal road and uk speed camera heaven a total waste. I would rather have comfort and reliability with no huge service costs and I am way beyond drag strip starts.
I have seen more people abuse a normal clutch anyway so would not worry about the Peugeot system.

Mac.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got my EGC automatic it was only available with the 1.6 92FAP diesel engine.
<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">I just looked on the Peugeot website and they now list a 1.6 120 petrol 4 speed automatic!
<br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><br style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">....and with the new 3 cylinder engine:
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">But! the petrol does average 20MPG less than the diesel and it is £140 per year road fund licence (VED).
<div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">

<div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">

<div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; : rgb251, 251, 253; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">

<div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="font-family: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; : rgb251, 251, 253; margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">

<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">NEW GENERATION 3-CYLINDER ENGINES
<div style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; line-height: normal; clear: both; height: 45px;"><div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">This brand new engine offers radical improvements in fuel consumption and CO2 emissions ""“ but of course this doesn't compromise performance. This 1.2 litre e-VTi petrol engine will be available in the 2008 later on in 2013. And it's worth waiting for, with CO2 at just 99g/km. Available mid-late 2013.
<div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">

<div ="sh_tg_deion="" deion_"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; border: 0px; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; line-height: inherit; max-height: 90px; overflow: auto;">

1 - 13 of 13 Posts