Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit confused, could anyone help and expalin the imporovments with the new ETG which replaces the EGS on the 1.2 ?

Reading some forums it seems (!!) the ETG has a smoother robotised manual change and also at low speeds its better ?

I was looking to pick up a 1.6 vti Auto (pre-reg) but the offers on new cars are pretty good and am also considering a 1.2 allure ETG. Usage is mainly city driving and the idea behind the auto is that its an improved gearbox on what we have in the RAV. I know the 1.6 is noisy on motorways at 4000 revs etc.

Alan, you are the top guy, would you know of any ETG documentation on a French site which can explain, I could not find any links.

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
ETG is the same as EGS (Citroen's old name) and EGC (Peugeot's old name), nothing has changed.

EAT is the name for the new 'proper' auto gearbox that is being implemented across the whole range.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow, really !! The dealer was saying the mechanics have been changed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
...and the new EAT6 auto is quite spectacular compared to both the full auto box and the EGC system.
Absolutely instant silky smooth changes. I have to glance at the gear indicator to notice the shifts.

No steering wheel paddles to use, but to be honest you don't need them. You can still use the gear stick to +/- through the gears though if you want, or need, to.

Wait for the new EAT6 and you will not be disappointed in any way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Alan and noted. Looks like you are a happy bunny with EAT6.

The reason I started looking again was to get a reasonably priced car to fill a gap and the 4 speed pug auto would do the trick. Problem is the 2008 auto is a pre-reg and they won't budge on the price and I am getting a raw deal on my px. I did look at the cx3, pretty amazing but I am not prepared to cough up the extra money if the car is sitting on the driveway.

So my idea is px the fiat500 with a reasonable auto (and kids can drive it), keep the Rav for another 12 months and if we can use the Pug 2008 for our business (as the boot area seems big enough) then px the rav for a cx3 (perhaps), the Rav does not seem to die ;)

Any other idea ?

edit : it may mean waiting for the EAT6 on 2008.

Edited by: aro-rat

·
Registered
506 Posts
For goodness sake Tony, make sure if you buy the 2008 don't buy one with the ECG box, ie semi auto.

If you can afford it get one with a proper auto box like Allan's.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
aro-rat said:
edit : it may mean waiting for the EAT6 on 2008.
.......then wait for the EAT6. You will regret it if you don't!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tone & Allan - yes makes sense in fact as Frank has highlighted ETG is EGS, so I am not sure what the dealer was going on about.

EAT6 is the way to go.

Keep up the great posts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A lot of dealers try to scam by presenting the ETG/EGS as AT...here also I hear this nonsense...The robotized EGS is not a perfect one, but is very helpful for me...I tried it in test drive before I buy it...and I was satisfied of it's performance...far from perfect, but better then manual for my left leg...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help, it's been wonderful.

We couldn't wait any longer and had to look at other makes and have put down a deposit for a Sep delivery.

We looked at the following, a quick summary ;

Obviously the Pug - but not here yet.

Mazda CX3 sport nav auto - lovely car, great discounts online but car was a bit squashed for our needs.

Fiat 500x - we have a 500 TA now, the 500x rear seats and the toyish controls don't make it serious, it's a blown up 500, as per Fiat's advert.

Ssangyong Tivoli - after a test drive we deliberated on our options and have gone for the ELX Auto (6 speed). Red with style pack, they didn't have the black wheels so opted for standard 18" diamond cut.

Upside of Tivoli, loads of space, good price, 5 yrs warranty. Can take golf bag sideways (not important) An Auto we can. Will replace Rav when it dies and use for business.

Downside, bumpy ride at back, high emissions, unknown new car issues.

I will keep coming back to the forum as I am a Pug guy at heart, still cant forget my 205 GTi.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Just hope Ssangyong there is better...here they have serious issues with electrics...and no service was trained for this...so you stay in service for days or try to reach the representatives as 300km distance...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
george2104 said:
Just hope Ssangyong there is better...here they have serious issues with electrics...and no service was trained for this...so you stay in service for days or try to reach the representatives as 300km distance...

George, thanks for the heads up on the issues. I KNOW I am taking a risk with a new car and limited dealer network.I found a great garage quite near to us, picked the car last week. It drives very well.

We were not after speed but needed a reliable automatic for the wife and the girls, the RAV automatic box is not healthy and can't be trusted, the fiat 500 is excellent but manual.

<div style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px;">Got the petrol 1.6 ELX Auto - the auto box is AISIN 6 speed with manual override and very smooth.So far so good and happy with all the goodies and the price; heated seats, folding mirrors, tomtom satnav, hdmi port and the list goes on.

If it drives well to France etc I may just px the rav & fiat next year for another one or get a cx3 or Pug auto. Only reason to get another Tivoli would be the ease of jumping from one car to another, lets see how it performs and if it breaks down and dealership issues.

Anyway... this was a heads up as I could not wait for the Pug 6 speed auto EAT.

Edited by: aro-rat

·
Registered
7 Posts
...and the new EAT6 auto is quite spectacular compared to both the full auto box and the EGC system.
Absolutely instant silky smooth changes. I have to glance at the gear indicator to notice the shifts.

No steering wheel paddles to use, but to be honest you don't need them. You can still use the gear stick to +/- through the gears though if you want, or need, to.

Wait for the new EAT6 and you will not be disappointed in any way.
How can I tell the difference between an EAT and an EGC/ ETG (2018). I have seen both types for sale on the 20008 Allure and the gearbox looks the same and there don't appear to be paddles on either. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts