Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have just only by center meters stopped my 2008 from going into the back of a parked car....

A family member just dropped another family member at my house and wanted to see the new 2008 :p so as it is night time i thought why not start the car and show off the interior lighting in the roof. Well the last
passengerwho was in the car must have hit the
gear stickinto 1st as it started to roll forward with the
handbrakeup but the car did not stall.

From owning a petrol engine before if i left the car in gear which i never have done from testing i know it will stall straight away, Is this a fault or is this
somethinga
Peugeotengine does.

I have a 1.2 VTI 82HP petrol engine in the 2008 plus it is a 2016 plate.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My ECG gearbox model would not allow that to happen, You cannot start without the gearlever bing in neutral and the Foot brake being pressed. not sure what happened in yours?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can just turn the ignition and the car starts my old car i had to hold the clutch down to start but the Peugeot does not need that may just take it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dawry said:
My ECG gearbox model would not allow that to happen, You cannot start without the gearlever bing in neutral and the Foot brake being pressed. not sure what happened in yours?
Same here

·
Registered
79 Posts
Whitedog, as I understand you have the standard 1.2 manual 5 speed not the ETG.
This modelallows starting the engine without the clutch depressed whilst in neutral, the 110 & 130 petrol engines are the same when fitted with a manual gearbox.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the car moving forward, for that to happen it would need to be in a gear. Were you to attempt to start any car in 1st gear (if it's allowed) the car would start to slowly move forward on the starter motor and you would hear the starter motor running, once the engine fired up the car would move forwardat approx. 4-5 mph. Does that sound like what happened to you ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Light said:
This modelallows starting the engine without the clutch depressed whilst in neutral, the 110 & 130 petrol engines are the same when fitted with a manual gearbox.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the car moving forward, for that to happen it would need to be in a gear. Were you to attempt to start any car in 1st gear (if it's allowed) the car would start to slowly move forward on the starter motor and you would hear the starter motor running, once the engine fired up the car would move forwardat approx. 4-5 mph. Does that sound like what happened to you ?

yes that is 100% correct i always thought it would stall...I never leave the car in gear so was all a surprise lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
To be sure check with the garage it's normal behaviour for the car. It's always advisable to check the gear level is in neutral prior to starting the engine. Some manufacturer insist the clutch is depressed first to prevent the car moving when starting.
There are pros and cons to the two approaches. By allowing a car to be started in gear it does allow it to be moved should the engine break down or the car gets stuck in flood water, by using the starter motor and selecting a gear the car will slowly move using battery power. My last car cut out near a bend and died (fuel sensor died), the car couldn't be moved as it required the clutch to be depressed to trigger the starter motor, it was very difficult trying to move it and the breakdown person needed help pushing it with the help of a local person.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea for sure i shall check with them thank you for the knowledge :D

I shall update everyone with what the dealership say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whitedog2k15 said:
Light said:

yes that is 100% correct i always thought it would stall...I never leave the car in gear so was all a surprise lol
I think it's something to do with the engine management software: I've noticed that if I gently let the clutch in without touching the Accelerator, the engine will accelerate by itself to avoid stalling. The opposite happens when you're creeping on the idle: the revs stay just a bit above 1,000, then drop to approx. 800 as you push the clutch out.

Mind you, I _always_ dip the clutch when starting up a car, as it saves the starter from turning the gearbox over. Not much of a difference I know, but in some of the cars I've had, it meant being able to get going on a cold winter's day instead of having to get out and push...

Edited by: Ben-the-Frog

·
Registered
273 Posts
Of course its always been possible to start a manual car in gear and if the starter is powerful enough the vehicle will start and move. Almost all vehicles now are fitted with anti-stall software . It is, and always has been,a basic of driving that you either start a vehicle in neutral or if in gear you depress the clutch which is not released until you are ready and it is safe to move. In this respect the 2008 is the same as any other vehicle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
indeed and i shall put it down to human error not checking if it was out of gear first :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts