Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I own a 14' plate 2008 allure, and whilst i love it so, it appears to have developed a problem, unless i am being a bit of a dimwit, with the grip shift wheel.

Under normal circumstances my understanding is that the wheel should turn easily and the graphic should change on the screen as you cycle through the various settings.

Over the last few days this has not been working. My problem is that the wheel is so stiff it hardly moves. Then, sometimes, as if by magic, it frees itself up to a degree. Even when it frees up it still remains stiff between some of the the available grip modes - but even this is not consistent as it can vary after a complete cycle.

I haven't noticed a pattern with it to date:
- No correlation to engine temperature; it doesnt get any better when the engine is warm. But then it shouldn't have anything to do with this because I understand that the grip control is essentially computer controlled? I live up in Buxton see so it does get cold up here and we have had quite a bit of snow of late!
- I cant pin it down to one particular grip mode - as mentioned above it varies as i go through a full cycle.
- I have read the user manual and little is said about technical problems/troubleshooting other than it resets itself each time the engine is restarted.

I have the car booked in at the dealers in about a weeks time. I have spoken to them but they havent heard of this problem before. Hec.

Has anyone out there in cyberspace experienced anything like this before?

Regards,

Alex

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Could it be a simple case of the wheel/knob slipping on whatever shaft it acts on?

I think I might be tempted to see if it comes off?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

good thought but i don't think it is a case of the wheel housing slipping around the shaft as it will often not move at all; suggesting it retains its mechanical integrity in this respect. One thought i have is that something may have found itself inside the housing causing the problem. However, it does not 'feel gritty' and the car is immaculate - i'm one of those obsessive types and I can account for everything the car has had inside of it.

What a stinker!?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've the same problem with my newly (today) 2016 GT line EAT6...the grip control doesn't shift at all.

But when I test drove it last week it turned easily??

A shame that Alex didn't come back and post the solution...but guess that's forums for you...sigh!

·
Registered
2016 Peugeot 2008 Allure Auto 1.2 110BHP
35 Posts
I bought my 66 plate 2008 direct from Peugeot at a year old with 6000 miles on it. The grip control needed both hands on it and great strength to turn it. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all. Sometimes it could be turned with one hand. I took it to my local dealers (under warranty) and when they removed the selector it was found to be completely gummed up with a substance that had the look and consistency of toffee!! The substance would melt when the cabin temperature was hot - allowing the conrol to turn - but then would set again when cooled causing the lock up. The engineer just cleaned the switch and removed all the gunk and ever since the control has worked at the slightest touch! You may have the same problem.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I bought my 66 plate 2008 direct from Peugeot at a year old with 6000 miles on it. The grip control needed both hands on it and great strength to turn it. Sometimes it wouldn't move at all. Sometimes it could be turned with one hand. I took it to my local dealers (under warranty) and when they removed the selector it was found to be completely gummed up with a substance that had the look and consistency of toffee!! The substance would melt when the cabin temperature was hot - allowing the conrol to turn - but then would set again when cooled causing the lock up. The engineer just cleaned the switch and removed all the gunk and ever since the control has worked at the slightest touch! You may have the same problem.

Thanks for posting, that's good to know. By switch do you mean the dial that you turn to move between grip modes. How does the dial come off so you can clean it? My dial isn't stuck thankfully but I occasionally operate it to ensure it still turns freely.

Reactions: MarkyTM

·
Registered
2016 Peugeot 2008 Allure Auto 1.2 110BHP
35 Posts
The engineer was so amazed at what he found that he left the switch/control wheel out to show me. He had just removed the flat panel it sits in - it just unclips leaving the control and panel still joined together. To replace it after he had showed me took just seconds - he refitted the electrical plug to the control and just clipped the panel and control back in.
By the way I still every so often use the control just to make certain it is free! But if you think about it it is just a multi position electrical switch - there is no mechanical aspect to it whatsover. So if your knob is hard to shift! - get it back to the dealers.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The engineer was so amazed at what he found that he left the switch/control wheel out to show me. He had just removed the flat panel it sits in - it just unclips leaving the control and panel still joined together. To replace it after he had showed me took just seconds - he refitted the electrical plug to the control and just clipped the panel and control back in.
By the way I still every so often use the control just to make certain it is free! But if you think about it it is just a multi position electrical switch - there is no mechanical aspect to it whatsover. So if your knob is hard to shift! - get it back to the dealers.
That's handy to know how to remove the dial. My car is still in warranty for a few more years so if mine sticks, I'll take the car back to the dealers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts