Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some weeks now my Peugeot 2008 (2014 model) shows a wrong outside temperature. While the actual outdoor temperature has been somewhere around 20-30°C the temperature display showed something like 3°C to 12°C.
It is not static but floats by some degrees up and down over the time the car is in use. First I thought it is just reading off by some 10°C or so, but it seems the fault to be more complicated: Even if the car was parked for some hours where the temperature is surely around 20°C or warmer, the sensor then displays some 12°C or so. So to me it looks like it is some combined offset and proportionality issue.
Is there something I can try out myself to narrow things down or something that I can try to fix myself (connectors that could have gone loose, moisture in a connector or similar type of fault)? If the problem is hardware, does anybody know how to remove the sensor from under the RHS driver’s mirror without damaging anything? Or is the fault likely to be a software issue that needs a Peugeot mechanic and special equipment?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It’s not a problem I have had with my own car but I have noticed that a few of my work vehicles have suffered from this recently,these are Peugeot Bipper vans some showing temps of -40 c or sometimes blank displays.
It is strange a it’s not a moving component or something you would tend to tamper with as a rule so why would it suddenly fail

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same problem - it is a faulty outside sensor - I think they collect water after a period of time. The outside temperature sensor is in the wing mirror (on the bottom drivers side). You can buy a replacement part about £30 on ebay (there are cheaper ones available but I went for a proper Peugeot part). You have to take the wing mirror cover off (chrome one on the allure), cut the leads on the old one and solder the new on in, Its quite easy

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 ext temp sensor

do you pull forward mirror or dismantle mirror cover. would be good to have a video of how to change ext temp sensor on 2008 (allure)

·
Registered
291 Posts
do you pull forward mirror or dismantle mirror cover. would be good to have a video of how to change ext temp sensor on 2008 (allure)

To remove the mirror glass position the mirror so the outside edge is as far forward as possible, then use something flat (I used a flat wallpaper scraping knife) behind the glass to gently lever it forward, it's held in by some plastic clasps but will give way.

Then you need to disconnect the heater element cables, which can need pliers as it becomes very stiff with time.

Replacement is just the reverse of above

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 allure external temp sensor

To remove the mirror glass position the mirror so the outside edge is as far forward as possible, then use something flat (I used a flat wallpaper scraping knife) behind the glass to gently lever it forward, it's held in by some plastic clasps but will give way.

Then you need to disconnect the heater element cables, which can need pliers as it becomes very stiff with time.

Replacement is just the reverse of above

Got mirror off but sensor still blocked by internal fitting. do you have to take mirror back plate off and if so how do you do this, don't want to use any force in-case I crack casing etc. seems a very awkward manoeuvre for a part which seems to fail quite often..design of mirror unit could be better methinks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Got mirror off but sensor still blocked by internal fitting. do you have to take mirror back plate off and if so how do you do this, don't want to use any force in-case I crack casing etc. seems a very awkward manoeuvre for a part which seems to fail quite often..design of mirror unit could be better methinks

I only needed to replace mirror glass so I can't help you but there are loads of videos on youtube about this sort of thing

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a Peugeot Part Number and Price in GBP Please

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just picked up this thread from a link about a stop/start problem to do with a malfunction of the temperature sensor.

I have to wait to get it mended (quoted cost - £90 with my dealership) because I dare not touch it myself 😉

·
Registered
35 Posts
May not be the sensor itself

I had a similar problem - 2017 Peugeot 2008, 1.2 turbo petrol - (its on Aussiefrogs website), where the sensor itself was not at fault, but there was a loose connector (somewhere) in the passenger door. The short term solution I googled while on the same trip during a 30 or so degrees day - was to shut the door firmly....... did so, problem solved temporarily. More permanent fix done by the dealer who cleaned/relubricated/whatever the actual connector in the door. The actual sensor was showing no fault codes, apparently, therefore problem was somewhere else (the connector). Fix was done two months ago now. has not recurred.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
May not be the sensor itself

I had a similar problem - 2017 Peugeot 2008, 1.2 turbo petrol - (its on Aussiefrogs website), where the sensor itself was not at fault, but there was a loose connector (somewhere) in the passenger door. The short term solution I googled while on the same trip during a 30 or so degrees day - was to shut the door firmly....... did so, problem solved temporarily. More permanent fix done by the dealer who cleaned/relubricated/whatever the actual connector in the door. The actual sensor was showing no fault codes, apparently, therefore problem was somewhere else (the connector). Fix was done two months ago now. has not recurred.

Cheers
Would you please tell which door do you mean? Drivers door or the other ?
Best regards

·
Registered
35 Posts
Would you please tell which door do you mean? Drivers door or the other ?
Best regards
Passenger door - that is left hand drive "driver's door", Curse the froggies.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've yet to get this fault, with mine, sorted out. My car doesn't have rear view mirrors that automatically fold, so when I leave it on the road outside, I manually fold in the one of the driver's side. It was suggested, by the Dealership mechanics, that the wires from outside to the display may have been crushed (really?). To be honest, I have had other things to pay for since this first happened (I was quoted £90) so I've left it, knowing that the reading I see (and the 'ice' warning) just have to be ignored. I'm not sure I'm capable of dealing with this myself. As I recall, when I had the mechanic look at it when they did the previous service back in September last, they said there were no 'fault' codes appearing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've yet to get this fault, with mine, sorted out. My car doesn't have rear view mirrors that automatically fold, so when I leave it on the road outside, I manually fold in the one of the driver's side. It was suggested, by the Dealership mechanics, that the wires from outside to the display may have been crushed (really?). To be honest, I have had other things to pay for since this first happened (I was quoted £90) so I've left it, knowing that the reading I see (and the 'ice' warning) just have to be ignored. I'm not sure I'm capable of dealing with this myself. As I recall, when I had the mechanic look at it when they did the previous service back in September last, they said there were no 'fault' codes appearing.
"No fault codes" simply means that the sensor itself is OK. The same happened to me (see above response). However my dealer knew of the issue and cleaned/fixed the connector in the door which was (obviously?) making a poor connection. Known fault and an easy fix. Try a different dealer or an independent Peugeot mechanic who knows his stuff? Good luck.

·
Registered
233 Posts
"No fault codes" simply means that the sensor itself is OK. The same happened to me (see above response). However my dealer knew of the issue and cleaned/fixed the connector in the door which was (obviously?) making a poor connection. Known fault and an easy fix. Try a different dealer or an independent Peugeot mechanic who knows his stuff? Good luck.
I may ask the local garage who will be doing the Service /MOT next week, to give the situation with the temperature reading, a look. I had asked them to do that work previously, but they said it was best done by the Dealership.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts