Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this is just one of those things. I noticed this morning some oil on the floor. A couple of drops so dropped the car at the dealers. Just had a call to say that the seal at the back of the gearbox, differential, is weeping they checked the torque on the bolts but it is still leaking. So this has to come apart / off to be resealed.
. Hopefully they do not have to take the whole gearbox off to sort it out but they are not sure yet.

Only done 280 miles so hopefully just a hiccup and not a sign of things to come. Dealer is being very good and plans to start working on the car tomorrow and I have a loan 208.

Mac.

Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To true. It apparently is the differential housing gasket that is weeping. I am just hoping that they do not have to take the whole gearbox out, and everything that involves, just to fix it.

Anyone know, it is a 1.6 diesel 5 speed?

Mac

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
That's a shame Mac; but better to find it early rather than late.

Your dealer is being good lending you a 208 and they will probably run over your car with a fine tooth comb to ensure everything else is as it should be.

Hope it gets well soon.

Al.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you have the 1.6? If so it's the ML series box, usually extremely reliable, unlikely to be a recurring issue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don yes the 1.6 diesel. It is leaking at the base of the seal near the drain plug on what to me looks like a diff casing. Any idea if that can be removed and resealed without taking the whole gearbox out?

Mac

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sound like the gasket on the diff housing. Not a box off job of it is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it is the diff housing gasket. Had an update call yesterday from the dealer. Gearbox did not come out as per Don's thoughts. They took it apart yesterday and let it drain out last night to quote ensure a really clean join today. Something about the orange thin gasket was leaking and they replace with a black stuff. They wanted to run it up to temperature then let it cool overnight to check all is ok before asking me to come and collect.
Hoping to get it back tomorrow.

Mac.Edited by: Mac2008

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Car back on Friday and I truly cannot believe how different it is to the 208. You get into the 208 and it all looks very familiar but then you drive and heck no it is so different, it is almost unnerving. The 2008 just feels like a grown up car in comparison. Anyway drove to Exeter and back today, about 200 miles, and so far all seems well. The car has started to loosen up a bit now at 500 mles and the average mpg was 61, so not bad at all. The dealer did two runs and let it cool each time to make sure the leak was fixed so hopefully the next time I go to see them will be for the 1000 mile or one month check. Unless of course the rear bumper protector or the boot rubber tray arrives.

Mac.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Glad all is well now Mac, bet you were glad to get it back! I was supposed to be getting mine this week before my 2 month delay occurred and would also have been travelling down to Exeter next weekend. Guess I will just have to enjoy hearing news of everyone else's travels!
Did you use the cruise control on your trip?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes tested out the Cruise Control and the Speed limiter. Didn't stay too long on cruise control as am a little old fashioned and wanted to vary the speed till the engine is a little more run in.Both work well and when on the display in front tells you what speed you are set to etc.

Mac

1 - 14 of 14 Posts