Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think everybody is aware of my hatred of French Electrics, well these last couple of weeks I have fell foul of English Electrics and had to bite my tongue.

Whilst out on business, my car has refused to start, stranding me in Retford, of all places, I was frightened I was going to be rescued by an RAC man from Jaguar dressed in Pyjama's and with some furry dice hanging from his mirror. Fortunately that didn't happen.
I was then left stranded outside a clients hoping to get home.
and then returning to the car, all within a couple of hours I hasten to add, the car (keyless entry system) let me in, but refused to acknowledge the presence of the key and immobiliser. Thus no glowing "Start" button and no rising of the gear selector from the centre console. In other words dead as Mik the Fish.
In both cases the dealers rescue squad were prompt, and after plugging in of a piece of electrical machinery, 20 mins later all clear and off we go for a couple of days no problem.

So how does this relate to French Electrics. Well said vehicle was returned to the dealers early this week on the back of a trailer to have its starting system interrogated.

Yours truly was then forced to have to resort to "madams car" for a day or two as I wasn't too fussed about a courtesy car.

So French Electrics, well I have to admit I've been mesmerized by the software that they programme into these little cars. For instance the welcome lights only come ob when you unlock the car or lock it for that matter, when its dusk. The sensor behind the mirror recognises the time of day and illuminates one sneaking out in the early hours of the morning to get an early start. During the course of the day, no welcome lights on at all, tremendous stuff. Also this little sensor and computer, recognise that when its raining and the wipers are on, whether on automatic wipe or not, the lights come on. Bear in mind the lighting switch must be on "Automatic" for this to happen. And the other thing I noticed, after a while that if its only raining and the light outside is not too dark or late in the day, the lights are on for the rain, but it doesn't dim the dashboard lights, it leaves them at the daytime settings ...bright...very trendy. I'm sure that there are other little nuances that it will come up with that I haven't yet discovered.

I must admit I'm not a lover of the "Automatic Wipers" they sometimes set off at a great rate of knots so I tend to use the intermittent wiping position.

I must admit tho' I still struggle with this "Semi Auto Box" especially after driving my car, but then I haven't driven that far in case I don't get home. Hopefully that will change next week as said vehicle has arrived back and they have replaced some parts which were causing the issue....I hope.

So do I still hate French Electrics, well for the moment, and because of recent experiences I have to say not as much.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mik, have Fiat started putting electrics in their cars now.

Last time I was in a Fiat, the driver was ecstatic when it started on the third turn of the key...he was delirious, saying one day all cars will have a battery!!!!!.

Mind you I should scoff, I wish I had a key to turn, the beast may have started then.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ford Fiesta - 2 times the cables on board start a small fire...lucky for me, no major incidents, only a lot of smoke...Toyota Yaris Diesel - 5 new pieces for the company, 3 of them with engine blow, the turbine leaked oil and 3 cars destroyed...changed in warranty, found arecall at all series to change the turbine as was a technical problem
Seat Ibiza - no problems in 9 years and 190.000 km...
Peugeot 2008 - sold...damn it...but worked as a charm...
Oltcit (have you ever heard of this mark ?? :)))) ) - 3 years/80.000 km without problems, but only after replaced the standard 450AH battery with one of 670AH...

By the way, have you heard about VW scandal in USA? :)))))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts