Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

Front Turn Indicator changed to LED

13K views 41 replies 4 participants last post by  allan40alt 
#1 ·
HIDS-DIRECT say these may just be suitable as a replacement for the front turn indicators:

<strike>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PY24W-HI-POWER-SMD-INDICATOR-LED-CANBUS-FREE-AUDI-BMW-MERCEDES-/370656141091?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item564cd3df23</strike>

PS: I've just been down to my car and checked the bulb holder and I'm a bit concerned whether this LED replacement will fit.

The current bulb has a much smaller envelope than the standard amber indicator bulb. It's quite tiny by comparison and the base also looks much different.

More checking is needed.

PPS: I checked the 'compatibility list' and it states that this LED is not suitable for the 2008, although it was recommended as a possible replacement.

Edited by: allan40alt

See less See more
#2 ·
I've done a little more searching and the recommended alternative above is not suitable for our 2008 cars.

That LED is a replacement for the PY24W.

Our models take a PWY24W !!

If you search for a PWY24W you will often be linked to the PW24W or the PY24W.

Both of these alternatives are not suitable as they have a moulded base.

Our PWY24W is a simple pull out/push in type.

The price is ‚¬65 per pair (possibly postage on top of that).

PS: I am not recommending these as a replacement as I have not tested them for compatibility with our 2008 models.

If you decide to test them then please update us all regarding suitability. Thank you.

PPS: Here is the link:
http://www.retrofitlab.com/led-bulbs/pwy24w-led-1.html

Here's a link to see them in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywFtoOBn2g#t=30

I have emailed the manufacturer to ask about compatibility with our 2008.

#3 ·
I've had a reply as follows:

Hi
Allan,

Thanks
for your e-mail. Actually I don't have experience with this led bulb in the
Peugeot 2008. I would recommend to test it, if it doesn't work you can simply
return it and get a refund!
J

Kind
regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Wouter
van der Haar

Founder
and CEO

#4 ·
I've been searching the Internet for other suppliers but this seems to be the only manufacturer at present.

Although it looks a good product I feel the ‚¬65 price tag is a bit too high, especially as the current bulb is so good.

If the price came down to around ‚¬35 then I would go for it.

PS: I must admit I do like the more positive flash and deeper amber of the LED though.....but ‚¬65 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywFtoOBn2g#t=30

NB: I did see one report that this LED is also know as a 3157. It looks a similar base but doesn't look as tough or well made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-3157-3057-3156-CREE-CANBUS-12V-24V-AMBER-5-SMD-LED-TAIL-BRAKE-CAR-LIGHT-BULB-/380770110337?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a7aacb81

One extra point: These cheaper ones do not look as powerful as the ‚¬65 ones. The old saying is probably true...you get what you pay for...!

#5 ·
I've just found this on ebaythat looks a possibility:

PWY24W LED Amber

Although this is cheaper I reckon the more expensive RFLab type would be my choice. They just seem a better product and I'm not sure the cheaper ones will be as bright.

May be a case of 'you get what you pay for'!

NB: Regarding the suggestion that a 3157 may be suitable, I received a don't know - not sure from that previous supplier.

#6 ·
Well, I was going to order the ‚¬65 pair but thought I would give another check to the performance of the standard PWY24W against the LEDs in the wing mirrors and the new LEDs in my rear indicators.

I spent some time looking and I just can't justify the ‚¬65 cost as there seems a very marginal fade delay with the standard PWY24W bulb compared against the very positive 'on-off' of the LED.

The rear indicator LEDs are a definite improvement as they are a deeper amber and brighter than the standard bulb. The fronts though are already extremely good and are far better than the 'standard bulb' shown in the YouTube comparison video. I think they have used a 21W amber bulb and not the 24W.

I really have to wonder whether the cost is justifiable for the very small advantage of the more positive 'on-off'.

Al.

#7 ·
Further searching and I've found these (I really must get out more!) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/No-Error-PWY24W-Amber-SAMSUNG-LED-Turn-Signal-Daytime-Running-Light-Audi-BMW-F30/360880736558?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D5778124757765435389%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D360880736558

Far cheaper at approx ÂŁ17 for a pair with free p&p.

Al.

PS: I also found this useful information regarding just using 'Lumens' to compare incandescent bulbs against LED's:

http://www.ledlightingexplained.com/led-lighting-myths/

#8 ·
I found a review using the Retrofit Lab alternative (the expensive ones).

The guy that fitted them was pleased enough and posted a before and after link.

Before:
<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">https://vimeo.com/81232139<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;"><br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">After:
<br style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb250, 250, 250;">https://vimeo.com/81232160

They do seem a trifle expensive for such a small difference. The cheaper ones may be worth trying though.

#9 ·
Hi Al,

When you first emailed Retrofit, did you ask about a group discount? They do look good but, I'm with you though, expensive for the gain of a quicker response. Still you get what you pay for and it does look like these are the best quality.....

Gaz

#10 ·
No I didn't enquire about any group or club discount. I just mentioned I was testing them for the club.

They just said they would refund me (less postage) if they didn't work.

I only had a couple of members respond to the thread so I figured there would only be 4 or 5 sets involved.I wasn't sure how many members would be interested as the club was smaller then and the cost a bit prohibitive for many considering the small gain.

The PWY24W is a good bright amber and the on/off fairly positive with the standard bulb but the RFLab alternative LED does have the edge.

I'll contact them again to see if there is any club discount available.

#12 ·
I've just received this reply:

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your e-mail and request!
Yes of course we are up to do groupbuys. We have done groupbuys before on Audiforums. Discount could be up to 25% depending on the number of participants!
Right now I don't know if there are any customers that tried the bulbs on the 2008 Peugeot. Maybe it's wise first to test one pair before we would ship to a lot of people and it appears that you have to use resistors.

We do charge a small shipping fee of ‚¬ 2,50 worldwide.

Thanks,

Wouter @ Retrofitlab.com

Question is just how many members are interested enough to commit to buying?

NB:

I'll send Wouter a reply to enquire whether the 208 requires resistors as they may have some feedback regarding that model.

#14 ·
Just received an update:

Hi
Allan,

I
understand about the warranty, that's why I suggest to try a set first

J

The
208 doesn't use these bulb as far as I know, I didn't receive any feedback about
it.

If
someone is willing to try them, they can order from the site and later we can
refund the discount. If it doesn't work the bulbs can be shipped back to us and
I will refund the amount
J

Thanks,

Wouter

Still an expensive chance as I have no idea how many members would be interested.
‚¬65 + ‚¬2.50 = ‚¬67.50 which is around £57.50 .
With the full 25% discount it comes down to ÂŁ43 approx.
Still seems a bit too expensive for such a small gain considering the standard PWY24W is a good effective bulb being 24 Watts with a good response.
It's early days with these alternative LEDs and I reckon there will be other manufacturers in the near future as these bulbs become more commonplace.

#15 ·
I've just been in touch with ruudg10 who was the supplier for the rear indicators LEDs.

He has responded that he is about to place an order for the PWY24W equivalent LEDs and asked me whether I wanted 25W or 50W.

I've advised him I think the 50W will be better as after a visual check I did think the standard 24W bulb was slightly brighter than the new 25W rear LEDs.

That may, of course, be down to the different lens/reflectors but as the front is more open then the 50W may be more suitable for the spread of light providing he doesn't think they will dazzle on-coming drivers.

Takes about 2 - 3 weeks for them to come in.

Al.

#16 ·
ruudg10 seems very efficient and has responded as follows:

Hi!

No problem.. The 50w are ok.. I have personally 50w all round the
car.. It's not a problem for incoming drivers.I can get you one pair 50w no
problem.. Anyway I will get few pairs. Cheers!

Regards,

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">-
ruudg10

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">I'll update asap.
<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">Al.

#17 ·
I've just had a message as follows:

Hi!

I've been trying to get your PWY24W but nobody do them..they only do
the PY24W..which are different I think.. Sorry!

Regards,

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-weight: bold;">-
ruudg10

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">That's a shame.

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">Guess I'll have to keep looking.

#18 ·
I've had another message from ruudg10:

Hi

The ones on eBay are not as bright.. The RetroFit looks good..but too
expensive .. If you can wait,I think somebody will make them.. I will keep
trying anyway.. My supplier asked me for $1000 to make them..that's without the
price I need to pay for bulbs..

Regards,

ruudg10

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">I replied that we'll wait as there's no rush.

<div style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">Al.

#19 ·
I agree with waiting, hope someone else makes them and brings the competition down in price. Your EBay seller seems very good, tried to find the bulb and good on comms!

#22 ·
Just found this on 'audizine';

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/570283-For-those-who-care-about-such-things-(LED-front-signals)/page7

<h1 style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 14px; line-height: normal; font-family: Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;">Thread:For those who care about such things (LED front signals)
</h1>

Well my $28
ebay
version purchase they showed up, and appear to work exactly the same as the $80 version from Retrofitlab. Slightly more amber-ish color than stock as noted on the retrofitlab version, but not terribly noticeable. Absolutely no issues with fitment; the housing appears like it would accommodate a bulb almost twice as long as this one with no problem.
<br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;">
<br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;"><br style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; line-height: normal; : rgb238, 238, 238;">See link for YouTube video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UOfIjHXqoE

Maybe those really cheap ones aren't as bad as we thought....I'll still wait though....

PS: Here's the link if you can't wait:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amber-PWY24W-PW24W-LED-Projector-No-Error-Turn-Signal-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL/360880066618?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D6217074693705627744%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D20131017132637%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D360880736558

NB: UPDATE>>>please see post below....

#23 ·
#24 ·
allan40alt said:

I like to deal with a vendor that has a rating greater than 99%. Incidentally I just published an article on eBay and after sales athttp://empire267.blogspot.com/2014/04/improvements-to-ebay.html. Comments welcome.

If I find the time I might pen down an article about suggestions for the 2008. I had grouped some suggestions here.

#25 ·
chribonn said:
allan40alt said:

I like to deal with a vendor that has a rating greater than 99%. Incidentally I just published an article on eBay and after sales athttp://empire267.blogspot.com/2014/04/improvements-to-ebay.html. Comments welcome.

If I find the time I might pen down an article about suggestions for the 2008. I had grouped some suggestions here.

I've added the comment that I think we should be able to review feedback for the item we are considering as well as the overall feedback for the seller.

Al.

#26 ·
This is the update:

The 50W PWY24W LED is now available:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PWY24W-LED-BULBS-/161288630160?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item258d8d2f90

ruudg10 has proved to be a good supplier and, as promised, came through with the goods.

Al.

PS: I've ordered a set.

PPS: Here are some pictures

<t></t><t></t><t></t><table style="border: 0px; border-spacing: 10px;"><t><tr><td id="previewCont0" style="overflow: ; border-style: solid; height: 96px; width: 96px; vertical-align: middle; padding: 0px; margin-right: auto;"></td>
<td id="previewCont1" style="overflow: ; border-style: solid; height: 96px; width: 96px; vertical-align: middle; padding: 0px; margin-right: auto;"></td>
<td id="previewCont2" style="overflow: ; border-style: solid; height: 96px; width: 96px; vertical-align: middle; padding: 0px; margin-right: auto;"></td></tr></t></table>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.