Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as you can see from the subject line I have a bad problem with the inside of the windscreen freezing up in cold weather. Sosevere in fact that I have touse a scraper to remove it. It is a 2014, 2008 Allure 1.6 hdi. I havenever got in to the car soaking wet, or had anything wet in the car apart from wet shoes from the rain and I have checked the carpet and mats and all are dry (and always have been, as I had the same problem last winter)I would appreciate any advice on what to do or where to look for possible ingress, or if anyone has the same problem. I have never had a car with this problem before and was wondering if I should take it to a Peugeot service centre whilst I still have warranty left. Along with the infotainment centre crashing in cold weather (a separate post) it seems that this car just doesn't like the Winter.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There was one other forum member that complained of excessive damp in the car, but I don't know if the problem was ever identified.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Colin,

would try it out with it on permanently. Not only will it dry out the air coming in the cabin, it will help to stop the windows steaming up.

At this time of year there is always a lot of moisture inside and it builds up whilst you have the heater on. When you stop, that moisture settles on the windscreen etc which then freezes over night.

If you are running with the air con permanently then you might have a leak where water is coming in from the outside causing condensation.

Try one of these off the Bay of E. I use them at this time of year in the MGF and they work a treat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1916...ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the advice. I do seem to have the A/C constantly so I will try to remember to switch it off during the winter. However I have noticed that I cannot use the screen demister without the A/C coming on ? I shall be visiting a dealer next week to see if they can sort it out.
p.s. thanks for the Ebay link, I will probably end up buying one of those too !

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, the windscreen defroster turns on the A/C by default. I never use my A/C during winter, instead i direct the ventilation towards the windscreen and give it beans on hot. Works like a charm !

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm like alex, I use fresh air and heat to clear the windscreen rather the A/C. The only time I use the A/C is on a really rainy & damp day if the inside windows are steamed up, once cleared the A/C is turned off which alsosaves fuel.
As uncletone mentioned, Dehumidifier Bag(s) is worth trying overnight.

Also give the inside of the glass a good clean with a glass cleaner. Water likes to gather around tiny dirt particles, the clearer the glass the less moisture can gather on the glass surface.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Air conditioning should dry the air, even in the winter. That's one of the benefits of air conditioning. Personally I would leave it on all year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This isn't normal anyway.scatmod1, have you had your windscreen replaced ? Or it may have some factory defect. I think you should tell the dealer about this. Maybe it's even somehow connected to the infotainment system acting up in cold weather.
Edited by: alex2jz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your responses. I don't know if the windscreen has been replaced, I bought the car as an ex demonstrator from a Peugeot dealer. It's quite possible that the infotainment problem is linked to the windscreen problem.I will certainly use all the advice given andI will seek the advice of my local Peugeot dealer. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem have been arguing with Peugeot for the last 3 years they say there is no fault but I have photos of the inside of the windscreen they have come up with I don't do enough miles that's why the screen freezes Iam going to take this to a lawyer because that must Most lamest excuse I have ever heard you are not the only one with this problem I have heard of more people

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi read all your comments and to say had no problems with consideration in my car use Aircon to dismiss when frosted and raining and all works ok so it seems problem with your vehicle have checked by dealer some say heater is slow but have found no problems with mine l have diesel 120 s s and all works well .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a bag of 'Thomar Car Dehumidifier' from Halfords for £8 and have left it on the RH side of the dashboard where it seems to stay put without wandering around and finally ending up on the floor. To date I have not had a misted/frozen windscreen since I bought it in mid December but to be fair the outside hasn't frozen either so may be too early to say. Car at airport from Dec 21st to April 4th so I missed some cold weather.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't have the a/c on all the time but as advised, do put it on occasionally through winter.

I have had this inside screen misting over (my post about this) but only once has it been frozen on the inside.

My de-mist bag probably needs changing and in the past, has worked well.

I need to know re the a/c being on all the time, what setting the heating should be at - cold on the '12 o'clock' position, or with some warm air coming in???I know, women drivers

·
Registered
2 Posts
The so called Peugeot mechanic guy said Last year ago leave the air con on all the the time the year before don't turn it on this year I don't do enough miles so leave the engine running to heat up before you move there just coming up with any excuse I know of four people who's Peugeot 2008 freeze up inside so it's not a one off

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gaz62 said:
The so called Peugeot mechanic guy said Last year ago leave the air con on all the the time the year before don't turn it on this year I don't do enough miles so leave the engine running to heat up before you move there just coming up with any excuse I know of four people who's Peugeot 2008 freeze up inside so it's not a one off
Hi. Mine is ok. Never had any ice on the inside. Not sure if you done this but lift the carpet in the front foot wells. Lift the insulating and sound deadening stuff and see if there is a pond in there. Your carpet will feel dry but under it could be a different story. Does sound like there is water in your car mate

1 - 15 of 15 Posts