Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have now had our 2014 1.2 Alure auto for 6 weeks. It was an ex mobility car with just 6k on the clock. Great car except the gearbox, i have read many other complaints about this. We test drove another exact same year & model & don't remember any oddities. This car we only drove round the forecourt (maybe a foolish thing not to have a full test drive) Anyhow please can you tell me if this is normal, when in drive, the car rolls back if not holding the brake ie, at traffic lights. Our drive at home has an incline. It struggles, sometimes cant inch forward up the incline to park near the house. Has a large flat spot, feels like slipping clutch changing up from 1st to 2nd. Lastly, when we went to pick up the car it would not start and the dash said something like gearbox problem, contact garage. The dealer claimed it was only a flat battery as the interior light had been left on for a while (i notice it was on when i unlocked the car) Any help please ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
If you are talking about the semi-automatic (or EGC) gearbox I can speak with painful experience. It is simply terrible. Go and return the car if you possibly can.

If you can't then yes the car rolls on hills but if you press the brake pedal hard you have 2 seconds to move forward (they call it hill-assist), the car will hold itself but it doesn't behave like a proper auto on hills, you may need to do a semi-traditional hill start (but without a clutch so it's pretty hopeless)

The gearchanges are awful because it's basically a manual gearbox that changes gear automatically so it's very clunky, you can lessen the impact by releasing the throttle at the point of gearchange but it's a kludge.

If you have a petrol engine the only thing I found that made any difference at all was putting in premium petrol, I don't know why but it helped a little.
But the bottom line is the car isn't fit for purpose and in my experience of three months occasionally borderline dangerous, get rid if you can.

My wife refused to drive it saying she felt unsafe so eventually the dealer took it back and I paid extra for a newer model which is lovely

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
After having a 2008 EGC semi-auto box I agree completely. :crying:

I now have the EAT6 automatic which is just a dream to drive. :angel:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue, very clunky gear changes and at first i though this was my fault however after reading the above it would seem its just very bad design from Peugeot. I dont understand why they created an Semi Auto in the first place.
I will say tho that although mine is the diesel i find a better drive when its in semi as i have much more control of the gears and this stops a lot of the clunk.

Had i known it was this bad i would not have purchased it. Lessons learnt here I guess.

·
Registered
278 Posts
. I dont understand why they created an Semi Auto in the first place.

In my opinion it was shameful that Peugeot were still selling this gearbox in 2015 or even 2016, it's absolutely awful.

The reason they did (as I was informed by the dealer) was the low emissions this box produces meant lower road tax & Co2 etc.which looked good in the specs

But really it should have a health warning

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same problem with the car slipping backwards on steep inclines, once on a ferry ramp which was scary. I find that I use handbrake and rev up before releasing it. This allows the car to get moving. Very very bad design.
Also engine light came on and garage quoted £500 to fix turbo on 3 year old car. I refused and engine light stayed off. I will be getting rid of the car asap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've only just come across this forum.
Owned a 2008 semi auto 1.6 diesel since new, six years now.
It also is a bit 'jerky' pulling away occasionally but I figured how to overcome it. I use a slight bit of handbrake and release it as the car moves, no jerking anymore.
The slipping back on a hill start is as has been said because it's not a full automatic so do it like a manual and use the handbrake.
I'm very happy with my car, it has some little issues that can be annoying but nothing serious.
Economy is excellent too. Comfortable, spacious, no road tax.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got one of these and I agree with all the comments.
I have driven lots of cars with this type of gearbox (I've worked for main dealers since leaving school a loooong time ago)
I have owned a Honda civic with this type of box, Honda described it as automised manual transmission, it did have a manual type clutch rather than a torque converter in a "proper" auto.
I've always felt that driving these cars like you would a manual makes the whole experience much more rewarding.

·
Registered
275 Posts
True Nieram, but the reason I went for a proper EAT6 box in my 2016 as did the research and new the EGC box was plagued with issues, esp from those that:

a) Didn't take it for a proper test drive
b) Were used to driving proper autos with a Torque convertor
c) Didn't do their research before committing

That said I did have a 2004 Citroen C3 with a sensodrive box (similar robotised manual) and never had problems with it, but I would never buy a pseudo auto again.

I've recommended that my (soon to be) 17yr old takes her test in an auto, purely as in 20yrs time with emissions constraints all cars will be either hybrids or fully electric and therefore fully automatic by default :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't forget that if you pass your test in an automatic (any car with only 2 pedals) your licence witt be auto only, no full manual entitlement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts