Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave Humpty a really good run yesterday.. and a chance opening of the dash glove box after a few hours driving revealed plenty of condensation soaking into some none-too-valuable paper stored in there... I had not realised the dash glove box acts as a chiller cabinet when the air-con is operating.
So just a warning really... could have caused annoying damage to any more valuable content vulnerable to wetness.

This feature could be really useful, just a shame its not a little deeper to keep our usual water bottles cool, but a couple of cans may well fit in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
does it do that with all models I wonder?

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is a common feature of pretty much all Peugeot and Citroen cars and is referred to in they manual. You can turn this function off if required by rotating a dial in the glovebox which blanks out the cooled duct.

The glovebox is small on right hand drive cars as the fuse box takes up half of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wouldn't the damp or whatever effect the electrics in the fuse box in rh drive models

·
Registered
540 Posts
It shouldn't really be damp unless the glovebox wasn't closed properly - A/C dries the air, not humidifies it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maciejz said:
tontinuk said:
does it do that with all models I wonder?
All that have aircon - it's mentioned on page 72 of the car manual. :)

Thanks for that reference to the manual... found page 72 and even found that vent B (which is not shown in the diagram of Humpty's UK handbook)... could well be that by twisting the vent 180 degrees will stop the condensation - will give it a try when conditions next allow.

Also was delighted to find reference on page 72 to a very much needed secure place to stow glasses in the glovebox.... just a shame I went to Specsavers... their glasses didn't fit !

·
Registered
72 Posts
tried the glove box and defo worked and turned the vent to close it off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frank Bullitt said:
This is a common feature of pretty much all Peugeot and Citroen cars and is referred to in they manual. You can turn this function off if required by rotating a dial in the glovebox which blanks out the cooled duct.

The glovebox is small on right hand drive cars as the fuse box takes up half of it.
Thanks for the tip about the Citroens sharing this feature Frank... Mrs ejohn has a Citroen DS3 and only since your tip did we check and discover that her DS3 came with its glove-box vented in the same way,,,and delivered with that valve open....... so her portable Sat-nav has been sitting with the potential condensation blast feeding over it when its been stored in there.. and those vulnerable plug-in contacts no doubt quietly corroding away...
Agree with your comments about the air-con dehumidifing its own air stream.... but its the temperature variation between that chilled air and those previously warmer items that it contacts which can create the development of surface condensation formation... plenty of info on that reality in camera instruction booklets ... and in building regs!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey ejohn!
Where is the secure place to store glasses in the glovebox??? I've looked in my glovebox and there's just the glovebox (!) and the fusebox - nothing else unless I'm missing something?? I have looked in the manual and yes it does reference it but it's not very explicit
Maybe it's only on certain specs ... or maybe it's just me

·
Registered
61 Posts
You see the white box in the pocket on the lid? That's your secure place. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
ejohn said:
Frank Bullitt said:

Thanks for the tip about the Citroens sharing this feature Frank...   Mrs ejohn has a Citroen DS3 and only since your tip did we check and discover that her DS3 came with its glove-box vented in the same way,,,and delivered with that valve open....... so her portable Sat-nav has been sitting with the potential condensation blast feeding over it when its been stored in there.. and those vulnerable plug-in contacts no doubt quietly corroding away...
Agree with your comments about the air-con dehumidifing its own air stream....  but its the temperature variation between that chilled air and those previously warmer items that it contacts which can create the development of surface condensation formation... plenty of info on that reality in camera instruction booklets ...  and in building regs!
I know, I'm a building surveyor... Having papers sat in a closed chilled glovebox for ours on end should not come out wet.Edited by: Frank Bullitt

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maciejz said:
You see the white box in the pocket on the lid? That's your secure place. :)

Hey lucky you maciejz...Like the look of your left-hand drive 2008's glove box.. far more useful than the cramped excuse of a compartment in our right hand drive versions ( with little more than an average 11 cm cube of space available) - so no chance in our UK versions for a CD player to go in, let alone that useful lid-pocket and room for the water bottles you have!.

·
Registered
222 Posts
maisara said:

<div ="msg">
i cant find the dial in the glovebox which blanks out the cooled duct
can anyone send some pics?
thanks
Same here, I am sure my glove box does not have the shut off dial, have looked in the manual (page 71 on mine) and it mentions the vent but nothing about being able to shut it off, I felt the vent by hand but can't see any way it will shut off. Edited by: old-yorky

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi all - currently cruising around the southern part of Croatia in a hired VW Golf and the first thing I checked was for the 'cooler box' aspect of the glove-box. It is on here as well and keeps our sarnies nicely cooled whilst driving untol lunch-time.
Evader

1 - 19 of 19 Posts