Peugeot 2008 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I have been relegated to the comfort and frugality of "Madam's Car" due to my car seeing the local witch doctor to have some electric gremlins removed.

I had forgotten that under the bonnet is this little 1.6 ltr Diesel Engine of 92 bhp. Not exactly tyre shredding power, compared with some of the other engines in a higher state of tune in the Peugeot / Citroen stable. But supposedly enough to drag said Peugeot around and not put too much stress on the gearbox.

Well at times I felt I could get out and run quicker, well one would after driving 5.0ltrs of Supercharged V8. Its alright I suppose hitting !$& mph in Nano Seconds, but the downsize is it then consumes 21 gallons of Super Unleaded in the same amount of time. So its nice to fill a tank up, and then seem able to travel to the moon and back without ever stopping.

The moral of this tale, well you can only stand being passed by Panda's , Wheelchairs and Sir Bradley Wiggins look a likes for so long. So this weekend, unknown to "madam", I've installed a little box that boosts the bhp by roughly 30%. I had this very device on a 2013 Mondeo which one of our guys was driving as a company car and he was thrilled with it. So this weekend I thought, why not.

Now at the moment I have it set on the No 5 Setting as I'n mot sure how said gearbox will cope. Personally I think it will be fine, but there is also the possibility of too much boost and the dashboard will light up like a Xmas tree and throw the french electrics into a wobbly.

First impressions of the "Synergy 2b Box" you can definitely feel the difference, even on the low setting, the motor certainly pulls a lot better thro' the gears.

Now I know a lot of you will be saying how will this affect your insurance, well I'll find out first thing in the morning. And from previous experience not a lot will be the answer, we'll wait and see. And secondly I can hear the cry's, "wait while the dealer see it, your warranty will be null and void" It may well be if we have a problem with the engine, electronics, gearbox etc. But for other items it shouldn't matter. And if it does affect the warranty and the engine blows up, which I doubt as the tuning box comes from a very reliable supplier who we have dealt with for many years, then do I care, not in the slightest, the car will be worth less than a new engine, so we'll sell it for spares or whatever.

We'll keep you posted of the performance and fuel consumption over the coming weeks.

Edited by: uncletone

·
Registered
316 Posts
Then you have the option if removing it before garage get hands in it, how's it fitted time?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I used the 2008 today to nip to Bristol with some kit and the box seems to have done the trick.

Very lively and economical to boot. Now I know its not very scientific, but everytime I've driven the Peugeot, the best fuel consumption on a trip over a journey which has dual carriageways and motorways, which is the majority of the time, I've only ever seen 57/58 mpg I would think.

Today, and I've done this trip to the supplier on more than one occasion, arriving back home after a round trip of 262 miles and the trip reads 65.3.mpg. Firstly let me say, I've never seen 60 mpg at any time, so something must be working.

I wonder if I can get one of these for my car!!!, I might get 22 mpg with one of these boxes on.

In fact "madam" has been out in it these last few days, and she complained tonight that she thinks somebody has syphoned fuel from the tank.

She swears it was 3/4 full this morning and when she got back it was hovering around 1/4 full. She says she has hardly been anywhere, just nipped to Plymouth down to Truro then across to Newquay and home!!

Roughly about 111 miles and used about 8 galls of a 16 gall tank of Shell's Finest Super Unleaded. Yep that's about right, 14 mpg. And she will have driven it like a NUN.

You were asking Mik, how difficult is it to remove, lets say I wouldn't want to do it in the rain I could drown.

You need to remove all the induction pipework to the air cleaner, the air cleaner assy itself. Then remove the battery and all its covers, once you have slung a 9 volt battery across the terminals to protect the system.

And then you need to have a special piece of bent stiff wire to unclip the plug from the fuel rail and this is working blind with a small mirror. Then it's easy you need to unclip the plug from the MAP Sensor on the Intake Manifold put the OEM plugs in their place and reassemble. Lots of cussing and double jointed fingers scuffed knuckles later....no I'll leave it there, and when the car goes for it's service, I'll put a note in the the service book along with a £20 note............

·
Registered
398 Posts
We had also this small electric devices that usually cancel the "electric noise" in cables. Practically you improve the electric signal that becomes less fluctuant... But is not a "miracle box"...if you change the cables and use gold contacts with silicon covered cables, you will boost more than with this electric filter.
Also there is a magnetic "miracle box" that says if you mount it on fuel pipe, will boost consumption with 10%...in reality is a magnet that is aligning the liquid particles, and the "10% boost" is only occasionally 2-3%, as the gasoline and diesel contain small metal particles that can be magnetized.

So...use extra quality cables and filters...and will see a good improvement...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi George

Good to hear from you my friend, how are the women in your life, you must be due a change now, for some younger models perhaps!!

I don't know anything about these electric boxes that subdue electrical noises. I didn't know you had electrics in Iasi, that must be novel for you.

This little electric box as you call it , boosts the fuel pressure and the turbo boost pressure to increase the performance of the engine.

It supposedly gives an increase of around 30 bhp or 30.4 PS or 22.4 KW.

But as the English are always gullible, (easily taken for a ride/ duped/ mugged) into believing that for only a few hundred Euro's, if they buy this little box of electrics, they will have an engine to beat Lewis Hamilton or Sebastian Vettel or, I was going to say Jenson Button but a Nun on a push bike would beat Jenson at the moment.

So, and I haven't told "Madam" yet that the reason the car is going so slow, is because I've spent many hundreds of Euro's on a box that is supposedly going to turn the engine into a Ferrari beater......one day.

How is that heap of rubbish the Seat Ibiza running, have the wheels fell off yet, or did you not buy it with any on in the first place.

Hey perhaps I could sell you one of these little electric boxes and how about some carpet mats. Me and Al are looking to set up a business online. Kate has offered to make some steering wheel covers to match. That will really delight the ladies.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Great Toni...I will cover the PJ area...with tuned PJ's... :))))

·
Registered
162 Posts
How does the 'Go Faster' box effect your insurance? It could be classed as a mod to the car.

When I had a little sporty 106, Superchips 'chipped' the car to give it better performance. This was the first 106 they had done, so I got it done gratis. They also gave me a letter that I had to send to the insurance stating that although the car had been modded, but it was modded in a way to better low end performance rather than top speed.

Just thought it might be worth you checking. You know insurance companies will always find a way not to pay if they can.

·
Registered
398 Posts
All tuning is based on: chip, compression of air or fuel, filters, exhausting...and so on...The chip is usually optimizing the timing and fuel ignition...Also can override the quantity of fuel injected, in order to obtain more power...unfortunately this will kill your injection and valves because of overloading...this happens in time (few years).
Compression of air and sport filters is fine as it gives you a +5:7 hp clean, without affecting the components.
Compression of fuel is fine as long as does not override the fuel pump parameters (*the membrane in fuel pump will collapse if the pressure at admission is high. )
Exhausting is also fine as can give you a clean +3:5 hp. For diesel engines this is not a good approach, as will change turbine parameters.

The warranty will be lost in all cases but air. Also there is chip producers that will give you an exchangeable version, if go to warranty, will go with old chip, not to lose warranty.

Personally I use sport air filters and sport fuel filters, and I gain around 5% more power (at acceleration feels better).
Also a green fluorescent PJ will help you, together with a red flashing light.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Trevor,

It does affect the Insurance, by how much, that depends on your insurance company and the driver I suppose.

When we checked with "madams" insurance company we had an increase in the excess by £50 and the premium went up by £39.50.

Bear in mind madam hasn't had a claim since she took over Noah's Horse and Cart and the box was set up to deliver no more than 20bhp. We wouldn't dream of not notifying the insurance company if there was an accident and anybody was injured and if there is a fatality and there was no insurance then...well it doesn't bear thinking about. There are enough people on the road without insurance and we won't be any of them.

She has commented that the engine definitely pulls a lot better the fuel consumption now averages around the 63mpg, which is quite good she does more town and country rather than dual carriageway etc.

Ref the warranty, that again depends on the dealer, I happened to mention to our dealer and whilst he said that it depended on the claim they would review it. Of course when it comes to an actual claim then we'll find out. We can always remove it hide it or something, or we can go to our local reputable garage who is VAT registered and make the claim from there.

Who knows.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Uncletone

GO FASTER BOX?

There is one thing I don't understand about this thread......

If you want to go faster or have a better performance or anything like that, why not buy a different car that will give you just that. Why buy a 2008 and then change it? You could invalidate the Insurance/guarantee, you could brake the engine up, you would not have the right brakes for it and so on...

If I want to go fast, I get on my CBR1100xx and do 190 mph. Simple

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Peter,

Which bit don't you understand.!!

<ul>[*]The car is under powered to start with. We didn't buy it to give it more power it came with it. We bought it for the
gearbox. we then realised that it needed a little bit more pep. But this is the only engine that comes with the Auto Box
[*]The Tuning Box has increased the BHP/PS and means that the car is a lot nicer to drive.
[*]The insurance company know about the increased in engine power.
[*]The engine is in its lowest state of tune, in other models it has more power so it's not likely to break it
[*]The brakes are more than adequate for a 20-30 bhp/ps power increase
[*]And when I want to go fast, I get in my 5.0ltr V8 Supercharged XK Jaguar which I can drive in the rain, snow or hot weather at 187 mph, a lot safer than a two wheeled accident waiting to happen at 190 mph. SIMPLE
[/list]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Uncletone,
I am sorry if I have offended you....

I just don't understand certain things, i.e my neighbour!!!!! he has bought a car, z3 1.9 for drifting, now he is boring it out to increase bhp, he wants 200 bhp.....the conversation went like.....he could have a 3.2l z3 with loads more bhp for the same money and not getting all the trouble and expence (which he moans about). Horses for courses.

My CBR1100xx does 0-62 in 2.75 secs. and cost 10k....how much do you have to spend on car for the same performance? A bike is as dangerous as you make it to be (or the next sh*t car driver). I have raced motorbikes for 12 years (sometime back of course-60 years old now). And I have had fast cars myself too. The fastest was a Porche 997 911 turbo 4 (480bhp) 99 which I sold in Britain (brought to Greece but, the roads are crap here)....enormous ammount of money for power that does not compare to the Bikes of today for a lot less dosh......

I know exactly the power you are talking about on the 2008, I have the same car engine too, auto as well. Please don't think that this is a personnal attack or something...

<h1 ="it-ttl" itemprop="name" id="itemTitle">
</h1>

·
Registered
316 Posts
Gentlemen ten paces then turn and fire, lets play buy old rule's lol

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Peter,

No offense taken at all my friend, how can you offend a Northerner?... probably by calling him a Southerner!!

The Tuning Box was to iron out the lack of power low down, not to shred tyres, which it has done and believe it or not, as madam states, smoothed out the dreadful gearchange !! For value for bang for buck it wa swell worth it and madam has gained some extra mileage in the tank.

The additional insurance costs were nothing, compare to what your neighbour will be paying, and the box is just a plug and play nothing too drastic.

Like you for many years I rode bikes, that's going back a while, but unfortunately the traffic over here is a little forgetful of bike riders so I valued my life and gave up.

Only this week I was travelling North to a meeting with some Solicitors in Nottinghamshire and as we approached the council offices in Bassetlaw, a large Mercedes Van pulled out in front of me.

Alright the Jag had Anti-Lock, Brake Assist, Parachutes but the guy on the bike coming down my inside didn't and ploughed straight into the N/S front wing and ended up on the kerb in a mess.

It's a good job it was only a small Suzuki 250cc if it had been a bigger bike he may well have nbeen moving a little quicker. The guy n the van tried to blame the lad on feller on the bike for coming down my inside but he was turning left, whilst I was going straight on. And as we said to him what was he doing just pulling out in the traffic. The police asked him if he wanted to drop by for a coffee at their cafe. Idiot.

Hence why my comment on two wheels are an accident waiting to happen. It's not necessarily the guy/gal riding the bike who's at fault and like over there the roads are not the best.

I do get your comment on you get a lot more performance for the money. My bank manager is still crying over the Jag I bought. Good luck with the warp drive, oh and one other thing thats put me off bikes.

When I want to go out in the Jag for a blast, I can jump in my slippers and PJ's, where as when I wanted to go out on the bike, I had to get dressed up like Valentino Rossi and walk around like somebody who had s**t himself.

Not that cool thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
uncletone said:
Hi Peter,

No offense taken at all my friend, how can you offend a Northerner?... probably by calling him a Southerner!!

When I want to go out in the Jag for a blast, I can jump in my slippers and PJ's, where as when I wanted to go out on the bike, I had to get dressed up like Valentino Rossi and walk around like somebody who had s**t himself.

Not that cool thanks.
lol, right about that leathers .... each to their own. I used to live near Alton Towers and I know what you mean about southerners too.

I am glad you did not take my comment the wrong way
Regards

·
Registered
273 Posts
Around these parte we have a two word name for motorcyclists we call them "Organ Donors". (other two word descriptions are available!)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Pilot said:
Around these parte we have a two word name for motorcyclists we call them "Organ Donors". (other two word descriptions are available!)
I don't subscribe to the sentiment of the "I can go much faster than you " posts but I do find this kind of post quite offensive.Maybe you should try a bike and it might teach you to chill a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
burty said:
I don't subscribe to the sentiment of the "I can go much faster than you " posts but I do find this kind of post quite offensive.Maybe you should try a bike and it might teach you to chill a bit.
Never mind Burty, some people wouldn't know how to chill out and yes I find a particular comment very offensive but.....you have to take into consideration the calibre of some people too when they make remarks like that....

My opinion would be that nobody should be able to get their car permit unless they held a bike permit for a couple of years first.....but that is my opinion. They should also have a look at statistics too

·
Registered
398 Posts
What was that? :))))Chill down...is a box that do some stuff...but is not connected to your nerves...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I rode a motorbike for years until I came to the conclusion that even if you were the most sensible and skillful of riders you were still a very very vulnerable road user. Yes riding a bike is excellent training for appreciating road conditions and that point is unarguable. The fact is that very many motorcyclists do not ride sensibly, a fact confirmed both by observation and statistics ,and it is to that large group that I refer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts