Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to call mine Humpty...
..took my first look underneath the 2008 today and discovered that the main metal structural 'chassis' frame is open-ended and only reaches a little beyond half-way back underneath the car - just about everything rearwards of that - including all the suspension components - is enshrouded in gap-spaced flexing plastic shields.
Great for weight saving no doubt... but hey, real world, where is that garage trolly jack going to engage to lift up the back of the car - its very very thin plastic...
What happens if you need to call out a roadside breakdown service ? All that plastic 'eggshell' would soon collapse ..
From what I could see the 2008's own puncture kit wind-up jack looks like the essential tool when those back wheels need changing... A normal garage wheeled-jack's large flat head is going to do some serious damage if used for raising the weight of the back of the 2008 on that vulnerable under body plastic.
Then there's the question of whats going to happen at the local tyre dealers when you go in to fit new tyres.....they usually quickly shove a trolly jack somewhere under the car for that job. Who fixes the resultant damage.... do you think there's a realistic chance of being told if there is damage done to any of that plastic ?....... "Musta bin summat you 'it on t' road Guv"
Please tell me I'm wrong and there is a place that any conventional trolly jack can safely go.... or that a special adapter is available and hidden in the 2008's boot.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would love to know the answer to this as well. I was really excited about getting a 2008 until reading this. Surely it can't be like that I hope there is a logical solution that someone can add

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you check with your handbook you will see that there are specific area's under the sills front and rear for jacking up the car. Thesehave sufficient strength to support the weight whether using the jack provided or when supported in these area's on a garage lift.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That perhaps seems the only safe way then Pugman - but problems can arise in that a trolly jack head used on one of those narrow sills jacking locations will damage the surrounding sill paintwork.... or worse....dent the sill which as all with old cars know.. leads to rust and future MOT failures..

Decided to order an inexpensive rubber Jack pad from e-bay to keep with the spare-wheel so as to cover the situation should that arise... will let you know which one if its any good.

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is perfectly common for lots of cars now, my A2 has an aerodynamic under tray but if lifted correctly then his isn't an issue; there will be points that have strength on he monocoque that are identified below for lifting the car in order to remove wheels etc., just take it to a reputable operation and you'll be fine; I have seen an A2 with the front footwell a bent in (the convenience unit, electronic gubbins that controls all the non-engine electronics, is under the passenger footwell and was forced into the car) but this isn't because the A2's not jackable, more because an idiot didn't do it properly; the car was a write off... Most of the time the bottom arm of the suspension is the obvious place as this takes the weight of the car anyway

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting comments about the A2 write off Frank - bet that was an embarassment for somebody -especially as no chance of talking their way out of it.

Here is Humpty's potentialy vulnerable plastic suspension shrouding unclipped from the nearside suspension arm and lower coilspring mount - it is a one piece unit which also stretches across so protecting the suspension crossmember and then similarly clips up to the offside's suspension arm/spring mounting tray.

I can happily agree with you that a jack under this plastic to say lift directly under the coilspring mount will be unlikely to damage more than the shroud itself, but as most plastics soon become brittle with time.. how long before its holding lugs break.. and then will it remain securly attatched ?

Good news regarding the jackhead cushion - it arrived this morning.. worthy value I reccon at £5.49 including post.. and I shall be sure its available to protect Humpty's sills..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts