Peugeot 2008 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder who will be the first to be able to try the 'snow mode' on the Grip Control this week if we get the predicted cold snap coming across country. I guess more likely to be those in the 'northern terrorities'. Interested to know how it works though compared to the 'it'll drive up a ski slope' propaganda video.

This is one of the reason I bought the 2008. My estate just has the slightest of inclines that is a bugger the moment it snows but doesn't really merit a 4x4. I have about 500 yards of estate road then out on to gritted main roads all the way to work. But a couple years ago, people down my end of the road were marooned for 5 days! To look at the slope you wouldn't think it would cause hassle - but it is just enought to be problematic esp when the rear wheel BMW clan turn it into an ice rink by flooring it all the way up the slope. Winter tyres on my 207 have helped enormously. But will be interesting to see how the 2008 copes in Snow Mode.

Sadly I will not be able to try it as my car is still a glint in Peugeot's eye at the moment. Knowing my luck so far, theyy will get it built then not be able to ship it over due to bad weather!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've tried it before in my 3008. It ain't bad, but for the 2008 my Discovery was cheaper than speccing GC and about 60 times as effective. I didn't think the limited ability of GC merited the cost, which was sufficient to buy a Disco and insure and tax it for several years.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don Bernard said:
I've tried it before in my 3008. It ain't bad, but for the 2008 my Discovery was cheaper than speccing GC and about 60 times as effective. I didn't think the limited ability of GC merited the cost, which was sufficient to buy a Disco and insure and tax it for several years.

The fact your saying its not bad is good enough for me :)

-Sam

·
Registered
72 Posts
woohoo snow...so i can take my dog/hound of a petrol 2008 out into the snow and try the not bad grip. Dohshould have bought a gas guzzling v8 disco instead.

oh but i cant because i am in Italy thrashing a punto rental car.

ps can you tell yet that don is annoying me with his should have bought a disco instead comments on a 2008 forum.

Edited by: Deckers

·
Registered
256 Posts
Deckers said:
woohoo snow...so i can take my dog/hound of a petrol 2008 out into the snow and try the not bad grip. Dohshould have bought a gas guzzling v8 disco instead.

ps can you tell yet that don is annoying me with his should have bought a disco instead comments on a 2008 forum.

I am not saying anything

-Sam

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Deckers said:

Yes but remember that you will have a nice 2008 and not some manky old Discovery for the 99% of the time that you don't need to be in the snow or off road.

I took my wife's 807 off road yesterday. Surprisingly it didn't get stuck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in a village with only single track roads which gets easily cut off. I also a realist who has had 2 x 3008s with grip control, and know first hand how it flounders in proper snow, ie, anything more than a dusting of a couple of inches.

Armed with this first hand knowledge it's both cheaper and massively more effective to keep the Disco. As a Billy bonus it's the Disco that gets punished with road salt and not the shiny 2008, and manages the unpleasant journeys to the dump laden with poop.

Just common sense to let an old knacker do the crap jobs, while standing by for proper winter use. The money saved can fuel, insure and tax the Disco for over half a decade with the limited mileage it covers, so it's an economic win win.

If you want to flounder in really bad weather and cake you shiny new 2008 in salt (and this year were seeing sugar coated salt which sticks better to the road...and your car) then you go for it, and all power to you, but that doesn't give you the moral high ground to criticise someone that doesn't want to do that.Edited by: Don Bernard

·
Registered
143 Posts
Deckers said:

Once round the block in a Disco.

Once around Britain in a 2008.

PLUS.
Noroad fund licenceduty,Low carbon emissions,Refined comfortable cruising, the list go's on.
Ideal vehicle for the wife to drive and save you a fortune.

DINOSSURS DIED OUT YEARS AGO.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You seem to have missed the point, that running the Disco for half a decade costs less than grip control.

And with 90 litres of petrol, and 70 of LPG, it's got about double the range of the 2008, not that it ever gets used for any lengthy journeys.

The point is its properly able to handle dire conditions, it don't care if it gets battered and salt stained, it's a handy option for lugging smelly or unpleasant loads, and its a lot less than GC. Under the circumstances it'd be a bit daft to have done it the other way round.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah Peugeot themselves say the grip control is for light off-roading so not expecting anything spectacular, I guess if you have the need for a real off road vehicle you need to buy one.

-Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts